cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I just effed my keyboard. :(

Drez
Level 7
I repasted my G73, but now, the keyboard won't work, and I can't seem to figure out why. I'm guessing the problem is either the ribbon or the connector. The ribbon won't stay into the connector, the locks won't hold it in place. I open the locks, slide the ribbon in, close the locks, and the ribbon can just slide out, as if the locks weren't even there. The smaller, gold ribbon/connector for the backlight are fine; the backlight comes on during start-up, and the ribbon is locked into place, not even budging if I tug on it.

The ribbon looks undamaged. The connector looks undamaged, too, but it's so small it's hard to tell (plus I have no idea what it's supposed to look like otherwise!) If I had to guess, the locks must somehow be damaged, but how do I fix that?
11 REPLIES 11

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hmm, is it possible that you have set the KB cable wrong into the MB?

Did you use this site when you disassembly your notebook?

If no, scroll down to "site 2-6" and see if that helps 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

The shim would be the about the width of the cable, as it has to fit into the connector along with the cable. I would put the cable in first and fully seat it, then slide the shim to put pressure on the cable, pressing it against the contacts inside the connector. In effect, doing what the slider clamp is supposed to do.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Drez wrote:
I open the locks, slide the ribbon in, close the locks, and the ribbon can just slide out, as if the locks weren't even there. The smaller, gold ribbon/connector for the backlight are fine; the backlight comes on during start-up, and the ribbon is locked into place, not even budging if I tug on it.

The ribbon looks undamaged. The connector looks undamaged, too, but it's so small it's hard to tell (plus I have no idea what it's supposed to look like otherwise!) If I had to guess, the locks must somehow be damaged, but how do I fix that?

Does the G73 data cable use the kind of connector that swings open, like a little flap? Or the kind where you pull a little bar in & out of the connector body (to clamp that cable)?

BrodyBoy wrote:
Does the G73 data cable use the kind of connector that swings open, like a little flap? Or the kind where you pull a little bar in & out of the connector body (to clamp that cable)?

It's a little bar. I have attempts to look at it as closely as I can, and it does not look obviously broken. The ribbon just won't stay in the connector. I can't tell for the life of me whether the problem is on the cable or the connector.

Drez wrote:
It's a little bar. I have attempts to look at it as closely as I can, and it does not look obviously broken. The ribbon just won't stay in the connector. I can't tell for the life of me whether the problem is on the cable or the connector.

Does the little bar seem to clamp properly without the cable in it? In other words, even without the cable inserted, it should feel snug when you push the bar in.

If it does seem to close properly, I would suspect that you're not inserting the cable correctly. It may be counter-intuitive, but the cable goes on top of the bar. Insert it until it can't go any further, then push the bar in to clamp it.

Now....if the bar doesn't even feel like it closes tightly without the cable in it, it must be the connector itself that is broken or out of alignment.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Does the little bar seem to clamp properly without the cable in it? In other words, even without the cable inserted, it should feel snug when you push the bar in.

If it does seem to close properly, I would suspect that you're not inserting the cable correctly. It may be counter-intuitive, but the cable goes on top of the bar. Insert it until it can't go any further, then push the bar in to clamp it.

Now....if the bar doesn't even feel like it closes tightly without the cable in it, it must be the connector itself that is broken or out of alignment.

I think you're onto something about the connector. It DOES feel rather loose, considerably more so than the backlight connector. Very little pressure is needed to pop it open.

How would I go about fixing the connector, if that's the issue?

P.S. THANK YOU for trying to help! I've scoured the Internet for help and have found nothing. You have no idea how frustrating it is to Google "g73 keyboard not working" and all that comes up is post after post whining about the backlight. I would GLADLY trade that problem for this one!

So it remains loose when you open and close it? Hmm. I have the same type of connector on the laptop I'm using right now. I'll take the keyboard off and take a closer look at the connector. Hopefully, I'll find something that just pops in and out of alignment..... If not, maybe figure out a makeshift way to clamp the cable with the bar.....

You're welcome, BTW. I know how aggravating these kinds of things are, so I'm happy to help if I can. 🙂

BrodyBoy
Level 10
The "slider" is essentially a little wedge. These parts are so small that it's hard to get decent photos, but I tried. Here are a couple shots that (hopefully) illustrate the wedge-shape, as well as the shape of the little posts on the sides:

Connectors can vary a bit, of course, but that's the basic design. The little spears on the posts are just there to keep the clamp bar from falling out of the connector body....they don't actually play a role in holding the clamp closed. It's only the pressure fit of the wedge that holds the clamp (and the cable) in place.

If yours isn't clamping down on the cable.....now don't take this wrong ;).....I wonder whether the cable is inserted properly. To stiffen the end of the cable, there's often a plastic tab or coating on the side opposite the contact tracings. That side is sort of slippery, so if the cable is upside-down, the slippery side doesn't get "traction" against the contacts and the cable slides out easily.

So....two thoughts from this whole discussion: (1) if by chance you disassembled the connector, make sure that the clamp bar isn't inserted backwards, and (2) make sure the cable isn't inserted backwards.

[/HR]
If all that checks out but it's still not securing the cable, I'd have to think the wedge has been damaged/deformed. In that case, I'd try adding a plastic shim under the cable. But let's jump off that bridge when we get to it....

BrodyBoy wrote:

So....two thoughts from this whole discussion: (1) if by chance you disassembled the connector, make sure that the clamp bar isn't inserted backwards, and (2) make sure the cable isn't inserted backwards.

I'll talk about number one in a second, let me address number two first:

At this point, I would LOVE to hear that I'm just doing it wrong! Unfortunatley, I don't think that's the case:

As this illustration may or may not show, the ribbon is folded and placed in such a way that there is only one way to insert it into the connector.

As far as the first thought...I have not disassembled the connector, but it IS possible I damaged it. When I pulled the keyboard free, I pulled too hard and both ribbons ripped out of their connectors (without unlocking them first). Both ribbons and their connectors look undamaged, and, as I stated before, the backlight ribbon/connector seem to be working fine. It is entirely possible, though, that the keyboard connector got damaged in that yank.

It's also possible the problem is in fact the ribbon and not the connector, but the ribbon does not appear ripped or otherwise damaged (you might be able to exam it from the picture).

As for the connector, here's a picture of it, maybe something will jump out at you about it:

Thanks again for your investigations into this. I'm just hoping and praying the answer won't involve lots of money, thus completely and totally nullifying the point of the repaste!