cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I said farewell to my Asus G55vw yesterday! Never been happier!

Vicodin
Level 10
So here is the deal. I have been experiencing some "buyers remorse" since the more recent purchase of my Asus G55vw. I kept wondering if I had purchased what I really wanted, and if the quality of build was = to price paid. Well, the more I browsed around after the fact, the more I regretted my purchase. Then, I joined this pretty fine community if I say so myself. I have read numerous threads of issues after issues people are having with their machines, as well as countless RMA's that sounded like a nightmare. So, I thought one night, what if. What if I could even somehow break even on my G55, and go with something else that I really want? So, I figured out what I had into it. I got it on sale for $1100.00 at newegg.com. I spent $35.00 on a set of 2x 4gb stock ram on ebay to add to it, and I put a mSATA SSD in it that cost me $209.00. So I am at about $1344.00. ( I wont count time spent installing the mSATA because that was a nice learning experience for me) So I throw it on ebay for $1500.00 with an or best offer option on it. Just to see what happens, knowing that I probably won't be able to break even. Low and behold, it sells! So with the free shipping that I included on it, I still profit around $100.00!!!!

So I ask myself now what? HAHA. Thinking the whole time that it is mine forever. Well, I think I am going to go with a Clevo P150em. It looks like a pretty nice machine. The cooling in it looks great, and the fact that I can take 4 screws out and the bottom cover pops off revealing the CPU, GPU, mSATA, and two of the RAM slots, is really appealing. (If only it were that easy to get to the mSATA in the G55) The part I love the best about the Clevo, is that it uses the standard sized MXM slot for the GPU. So upgrading it is actually possible. I will probably opt in for the $100.00 upgrade to the 675mx. The 680m upgrade is $400.00... too rich for my blood there. Here is a pic of what I am referring to about ease of access.

Well I guess I can end my wall of text. I will still be hanging around this community, even if I am found guilty of ROG High Treason! lol
12 REPLIES 12

Apexing
Level 9
Treason!!!! Lol
Nah happy that you could sell it for what you wanted.
The thing to remember is, that on forums people who have issues will come, people who have no issues or a good experience from RMA will neither.
So given how many machines asus must have sold I think the numbers a low from the complaints 🙂 and ofc, as a buyer you MUST know your rights, will prevent you getting shafted 🙂

rewben
Level 13
hey good for you 🙂 and good luck with the new clevo.

@Vicodin, that's not a problem. I'm glad you were able to sell it for that much! 🙂 Good luck with the Clevo, and maybe ASUS will consider changing their laptops to be equally user-upgradeable. I would love to have that upgradeable of a system. Sure, if on the 14" gaming computer ASUS can't fit everything, then don't make that one as upgradeable. But for the 15" and up, user upgradeability is very important - at least to you and me.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
@Vicodin, that's not a problem. I'm glad you were able to sell it for that much! 🙂 Good luck with the Clevo, and maybe ASUS will consider changing their laptops to be equally user-upgradeable. I would love to have that upgradeable of a system. Sure, if on the 14" gaming computer ASUS can't fit everything, then don't make that one as upgradeable. But for the 15" and up, user upgradeability is very important - at least to you and me.

me too me too 😕 actually i wanna buy a g75vx but feeling kind of reluctant because of the upgradeability (but the main reason is waiting for haswell). although a g55 is upgradeable / serviceable to me, but i just don't like to do it after 50 to 70 screws next time (for mSATA, wifi, thermal paste change, or simple tasks such as to clean up my vents and fans).

i just added a mSATA ssd (plextor m5m 256gb) to my g55 a few weeks ago. it's all good (note that the current mSATA ssd's are still not as fast as normal ones; wasted the sata3 port :/).

rewben wrote:
me too me too 😕 actually i wanna buy a g75vx but feeling kind of reluctant because of the upgradeability (but the main reason is waiting for haswell). although a g55 is upgradeable / serviceable to me, but i just don't like to do it after 50 to 70 screws next time (for mSATA, wifi, thermal paste change, or simple tasks such as to clean up my vents and fans).

i just added a mSATA ssd (plextor m5m 256gb) to my g55 a few weeks ago. it's all good (note that the current mSATA ssd's are still not as fast as normal ones; wasted the sata3 port :/).

I wanted to return my G75VX and get a new one, because of the stuck pixel I got on my screen..
But because ASUS stopped producing the G75VX I either have to wait around for the haswell model or buy the G75VX somewhere else 😕

I'm really impressed by this machine tho!

Did a light overclock 135+ 1000+ and running BF3 with ultra settings @ 55-79 fps 🙂
Diffently doing a great job handling this game.
The King of the north!

Sagi wrote:
I wanted to return my G75VX and get a new one, because of the stuck pixel I got on my screen..
But because ASUS stopped producing the G75VX I either have to wait around for the haswell model or buy the G75VX somewhere else 😕

I'm really impressed by this machine tho!

Did a light overclock 135+ 1000+ and running BF3 with ultra settings @ 55-79 fps 🙂
Diffently doing a great job handling this game.

oh.. if it's a stuck pixel i think you can still use some ways to 'cure' it (maybe try search the forum for such threads, i remember i read them before)

yeah i think if a g55 like mine can do wonders, g75 should have more rooms to do that 🙂

chrsplmr
Level 18
Why 'gentlemen' .. The line of G's have always been upgradeable .. when you 'buy' the 'next' upgraded model.
Works out great .. for Asus.
Do we seriously believe in 2013 products could not be produced that would run 'forever' ??
That would be really really bad .. for business.
We are actually very lucky 'tech' is developing 'on the fly'.

I have to agree with you. For the 'life of the equipment' I think it should be easily accessable.
The upgradeable gpu thing would really be great .. for the consumer.

Well, gotta go washing machine shopp'n. Warranty ran out yesterday. Blew up this morning. naaaa.

Vicodin: Well done, but not done. Looking forward to your continued input.
Once a ROG, always a ROG.
It's a 'in the blood' thang.
Think 'MotherBoard' ... C U Soon.c.

bignazpwns
Level 11
Your going to love the Clevo P150em. Nice systems and priced right. A lot of bell and whistles you going to enjoy to like the finger print reader and what not.

bignazpwns
Level 11
DBL post. Gotta love Asus forum. Should of just used pro boards.