cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help diagnosing my G75vx

TheCoffeeMan
Level 7
Hello fellow Forumers!

My G75VX has been acting weird lately. (specs at the bottom)
I've been getting some strange peformance issues and GPU temps that are over 80 degrees celsius.
This laptop is a year old, and i have been overclocking it safely (according to the forums at least) until around christmas last year.
I haven't done it since then (wasn't necessary).

I overclocked because i wanted that extra boost in settings in BF4 (that is what i played a few times a week, before that it was BF3).
Here's the problem though. I've now played other games than BF4 for half a year now with no overclocking. These game are not as demanding at all (CIV V, TF2, and so on). But the last 3 months the performance of the pc has gone down significantly.

Before i could play games such as BF4 with overclocking at +135 core clock and +1000 memory clock at mid to high settings at 60fps and not get over 72 degrees celsius with the GPU
Now i get over 80 degrees celsius (GPU) and under 60fps at low settings with no overclock

All the temps are of at max stress while playing BF4, the "idle" temps are 30 then and 50 now

So my question is: What is wrong with my laptop? I look forward to responses that might help me in solving this laptop mystery!:)

Specs:
CPU: 2.4GHz i7-3630QM 3rd generation Intel
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX670NX with 3GB Graphics Memory
23 REPLIES 23

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well it sounds as though your in need of a repasting of your GPU and probably your CPU since your going to be that fare into it. If you have Warranty RMA it and PM cl-albert he is our Asus guy here in these forums and can be quite helpful in getting a successful RMA.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks man, thought my pc was dead!

SHADO
Level 9
Have you blown out the exhaust vents with compressed air?
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

SHADO wrote:
Have you blown out the exhaust vents with compressed air?

Where should i do that? From the inside or from the outside and blow the air in?

SHADO
Level 9
From the outside, in. You should also remove the panels on the bottom giving access to the fans when you do it. Make sure you hold the fans stationary when blowing the compressed air in from the rear vents. If you don't, the air can cause the fans to spin too fast, ruining the bearings.
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD

SHADO wrote:
From the outside, in. You should also remove the panels on the bottom giving access to the fans when you do it. Make sure you hold the fans stationary when blowing the compressed air in from the rear vents. If you don't, the air can cause the fans to spin too fast, ruining the bearings.

So the fans shouldt be spinning at all when i do this, correct?

TheCoffeeMan wrote:
So the fans shouldt be spinning at all when i do this, correct?

It won't hurt them if they spin some, but spinning INSANELY fast could damage the bearings.

You can get cans of compressed air at many different places.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911220/Office-Depot-Brand-Cleaning-Duster-10/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Goo...

They even have them at Walgreens (but are expensive there).
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD

SHADO wrote:
It won't hurt them if they spin some, but spinning INSANELY fast could damage the bearings.

You can get cans of compressed air at many different places.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911220/Office-Depot-Brand-Cleaning-Duster-10/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Goo...

They even have them at Walgreens (but are expensive there).

Thanks man! I live in Denmark, but i happen to have compressed air at home, should i still PM that guy considering my location?

TheCoffeeMan wrote:
Thanks man! I live in Denmark, but i happen to have compressed air at home, should i still PM that guy considering my location?

You're welcome. 😄 Clintlgm can probably answer your question about sending a PM. Let us know your cpu and gpu temps after you blow out the dust.
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD