cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm about to buy a g series laptop and have a few questions!

KEEP
Level 7
Okay so I will give you a fast background check. I'm going to go to college and my current laptop is getting old. Since I'm going to be traveling a lot and like to play games, I decided to invest in a good gaming laptop. The g series look like good value to money versus alienware and such. I was originally going to buy a G73SW-XN2 (2630qm @ 2.0ghz, gtx 460m) but then I saw the G53SX-NH71 ( 2670qm @ 2.2ghz, gtx 560m). The perfect match for me would be the new G74 but its out of my price range (1000-1300$).

a) Is there much difference between the 2630 and the 2670?

b) Is there much difference between the GTX 460m and the GTX 560m? (heard that the 560 is worse?)

c) I would like to know if the g53 and g73 screens can go up to 120 hertz?

d) Is it possible to change the led color under the keyboard?

I only know the basics of computers and would like to receive as much advice as possible. I would like to thank anybody who can help me!
9 REPLIES 9

griftir
Level 8
Buy it from a store if you can, so you can return it if the keyboard is jacked up. That's my only advice.

griftir wrote:
Buy it from a store if you can, so you can return it if the keyboard is jacked up. That's my only advice.

I would but they're around 1150-1200$ on newegg and over 1350$+txs in store!

panth3ra
Level 8
1) no
2) yes, but not so huge. buy 560m with 3GB memory (because this version has 192-bit Bus width). so no bestbuy version.
3)1920x1080, no HD+ aka 1600x900 (this one only on external monitor)
4)no (only DIY)
5) you can find all info in this forum
i was talking about G74.
i will highly recommend G74.

panth3ra wrote:
1) no
2) yes, but not so huge. buy 560m with 3GB memory (because this version has 192-bit Bus width). so no bestbuy version.
3)1920x1080, no HD+ aka 1600x900 (this one only on external monitor)
4)no (only DIY)
5) you can find all info in this forum
i was talking about G74.
i will highly recommend G74.

I don't clearly understand. Will I get 120hertz or do I have to buy the 3d version of this laptop? Usually, the bigger your resolution is, the lower your hertz will be. Will I be able to get 100-120 in 640 and 1024? Or it will lock at 75 or 85hertz?

Thanks to everybody, for your help!

KEEP wrote:
I don't clearly understand. Will I get 120hertz or do I have to buy the 3d version of this laptop? Usually, the bigger your resolution is, the lower your hertz will be. Will I be able to get 100-120 in 640 and 1024? Or it will lock at 75 or 85hertz?

Yes you would have to buy a 3d one for the 120hz screen. the hertz i be-leave wont change depending on the screen resolution.
some one feel free to correct em if I'm wrong.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Holy wrote:
Yes you would have to buy a 3d one for the 120hz screen. the hertz i be-leave wont change depending on the screen resolution.
some one feel free to correct em if I'm wrong.

nope, you're exactly right! only the 3de model.

but i really don't understand why so many people act like the g74 is too big to carry around. i just brought mine back from the states, to fiji, and had my old hp laptop in the same bag, and it was no big deal. have we become so delicate, that we can't carry around nine pounds in a backpack? really? carrying my g74 in the bag that came with it, hasn't been a problem for me. i take it all over the resort, and it doesn't bother me at all. i don't understand this mindset that it isn't portable.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

BrodyBoy
Level 10
KEEP wrote:
a) Is there much difference between the 2630 and the 2670?

b) Is there much difference between the GTX 460m and the GTX 560m? (heard that the 560 is worse?)

c) I would like to know if the g53 and g73 screens can go up to 120 hertz?

d) Is it possible to change the led color under the keyboard?

I only know the basics of computers and would like to receive as much advice as possible. I would like to thank anybody who can help me!

a) Same processor, slightly faster. Not something you'd notice in everyday use.

b) See panth3ra's post below....good summary.

c) The 3D display panels do...the standard ones do not.

d) Not that I've heard of. You would need to insert something like a cellophane sheet, which would be awfully difficult. On the other hand, the keyboards aren't all that expensive....so if you want to experiemnt, go for it!

Given the requirements you mentioned, I'd steer you toward a G53. If you really do need want a portable laptop, the bigger G-series stretch viability....they are deskptop replacements. But the G53 is a really nice compromise....fully featured and rugged, yet not so big you can't haul it around comfortably.

fuzon1337
Level 10
The intel processors is almost the sam the only difference I can think of it now is the main core speed and how high it will clock.
The 2630 got 2.0ghz and clocks up to 2.9 when a core needs it. The 2670 is 2.2 ghz and clocks up to 3.2 (if I'm not wrong about the corespeed.

As I have read here the gtx 560m is 20% faster then the gtx460m so there is just a little difference in perfomence when it comes to graphic and processor in your choice.

If you want the notebook with a screen that supports 120 hz then you have to buy a model with "3DE" or look in the specifications to the product and see if it supports, if it doesn't stand in the name.

And for your last question yes. Google "how to change colour in keyboard g73" and you will find a lot of guides. I would recommend you to find notebookreviews forum in the link if you're going to search, or you can search on youtube, if I'm not wrong there is a guide there also ^^

I hope this helps 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337
Level 10
I got the G73 3DE version, and I'm useing 120hz on 1920 x 1080p resolution 🙂 so it won't get lower with high resolution.... I haven't experienced that 😉

Haha, Aquastevae some are more lazy then others, too weak to carry a backpack filled with nothing else then raw power 😉
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205