cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got 150 MBPS WLAN speed using a Tomato Firmware

Fire
Level 10
I have a Linksys E4200 and I could never get more than 72.2 mbps from my Wireless connection

I did a lot of research and it seems that the Tomato (modified) firmware is able to force 40 mhz. speeds on the 2.4 GHz. band which in turn resulted in me getting full speed of 150 mbps using the Atheros Wireless AR9485 Driver 10.0.0.75

I suggest if you have a linksys router to download the Tomato Driver relevant to your router from this link, then select the one relevant to your router model. No need for VLAN the STD GUI is enough:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=v1BuINP3

My internet is snappier now
36 REPLIES 36

Skull6
Level 10
Some discussion, for those who may not know:

1. I'm not passing judgement or telling anyone what they should or should not do here. Just passing on some info.

2. The LinkSys brand is Cisco's home market division. Much of what you'll find in a LinkSys product will closely match what you can find in one of their comparable Cisco Business products. As such, both comparable products should have comparable capabilities. Cisco/ LinkSys has just made working the controlling software for the LinkSys products easier for the "general home user" to use--which oftentimes sacrifices that product's overall capabilities in an attempt to increase "ease of use."

3. Usually these "third party firmware" installs DO result in greater capabilities/ speed/ throughput/ etc., primarily because they basically "unlock" your LinkSys product's capabilities so that it operates/ is controlled more like Cisco's comparable business version--hence folk like Fire now have the capability to force 40GHz on their E4200.

4. What Fire has already stated above, in regards to maintaining a backup of your current LinkSys configuration (to include a copy of the firmware file), is spot-on. You'll need to revert to a form of "LinkSys specs" should you ever have to RMA their product sucessfully--else the RMA will most likely be denied.

5. There used to be a site where some individual had a table showing the LinkSys products & their comparable Cisco business products--such that you could do a "capabilities" comparison to determine which LinkSys router one would need to purchase, to then apply the recommended 3rd party firmware to achieve the desired "upgraded capabilities." I cannot find that site right now, but would be most appreciative if someone else would attempt to do so & post the link for all of us here to see that table.

6. Again, this is just "For your information."

P.S. @Fire--Now that you've posted your SSID in your original post for all to see, please consider changing it so that all the 12-year old hackers out there in your neighborhood can't continue to try to wreak havok on your wireless network. "You'll be glad you did." 😉
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

Skull6 wrote:

P.S. @Fire--Now that you've posted your SSID in your original post for all to see, please consider changing it so that all the 12-year old hackers out there in your neighborhood can't continue to try to wreak havok on your wireless network. "You'll be glad you did." 😉

A SSID is public information. It is constantly broadcast for people around to see. Even if it is "hidden" it is still broadcast. Removing it from here will have no effect on the people around him being able to see it or "hack" it.
Asus G732LWS
Geforce GTX 2070 Super
Intel i7-10875h

Skull6
Level 10
Yes, Desani, you are correct. But why make it any easier for the ne'er-do-wells? As to the "seeing," yes--if one were to have a good enough software sniffer, one could see it. But when I was working WiFi (quite a few years ago now--I learned some of what I know about !33T before there was the ability to not broadcast the SSIDs), the run of the mill folk would only see a blank space, or something like (unlisted) or (blocked) for the SSID of one that isn't broadcast. Have times changed this as well?

As I stated previously, just trying to help here. 😉
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

Desani
Level 8
Hi Skull6,

Lets say you do have a hidden SSID, if you choose to post it here we would all know the name of your hidden SSID. We are still missing a piece of the puzzle though, the MAC address of the Access Point. If we do not know both then when searching through hidden SSID's in your area and typing in the name from the OP, it would be almost like winning the lottery if you got it. You would still need the password to the network.

You are correct when you say the typical user would only see a blank name when searching for the network. Posting a SSID online however, I do not think is something to be concerned about. I would just make sure you have a strong password and strong encryption type on your wireless security. Also make sure any known vulnerabilities for your router are addressed (i.e. WPS).

Thanks for your help and discussion on this. 🙂
Asus G732LWS
Geforce GTX 2070 Super
Intel i7-10875h

cheek
Level 9
tomato firmware is really just more configurable than your default crappy router firmware. tons of settings here and there. and the crowd favorite which is wifi signal boosting is misguided. this setting does NOT make your internet faster. it simply pushes the signal at a higher mW. and thus most people reported hotter router. be careful and your router's board might burn out.
yes you can still get a good signal further away from the router using tomato. thats about it.

Sourles
Level 7
there is a modified firmware for the Asus router RT-AC66U? thank you in advance for your help

finalhour
Level 11
Fire wrote:
I have a Linksys E4200 and I could never get more than 72.2 mbps from my Wireless connection

I did a lot of research and it seems that the Tomato (modified) firmware is able to force 40 mhz. speeds on the 2.4 GHz. band which in turn resulted in me getting full speed of 150 mbps using the Atheros Wireless AR9485 Driver 10.0.0.75

I suggest if you have a linksys router to download the Tomato Driver relevant to your router from this link, then select the one relevant to your router model. No need for VLAN the STD GUI is enough:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=v1BuINP3

My internet is snappier now

Does this work for non-linksys routers?
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz