cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[How-To] G74SX Screen Upgrade/Replacement

A3roSolus
Level 8
Hello, I own a G74SX-BBK7 and recently swapped in the 1920x1080 resolution display from the higher end models. The standard screen for the G74SX-BBK7 is a 1600x900 resolution display. Before I start with my step-by-step instructions I will warn you; I hold no responsibility for you voiding your warranty or making your GPU work too hard supporting the higher resolution. That being said I think the GPU is more than capable of handling the seemingly small resolution bump. My fps in games has only dropped about 2-4 fps on average, so I can't imagine the display is that much harder to support. The higher end versions have the same GPU, but more dedicated RAM, so I don't see and have not heard of anyone who has swapped and had a problem. But, without further adieu, here's my how-to.

Tools
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
- Exacto-knife or similar utensil (used for prying, not cutting)
- Screen (purchased mine from http://laptopscreen.com)

Step 1: First remove the battery.

Step 2: Using the exacto-knife or another tool that can be used to pry, remove the six rubber pieces to reveal the screws indicated by the red arrows. Then remove the screws and put them somewhere safe.
(fig. 1)

Step 3: Remove the plastic covering around the screen; starting by prying up the tabs near the webcam. Then work your way down the sides and eventually to the bottom. Remove the plastic covering and set it aside.
(fig. 2)

Step 4: Remove the last two screws above the screen, remove the bracket, and set it aside. The screw on the left is indicated in the picture.
(fig. 3)

Step 5: Remove the screw on the each of the sides, they are indicated by a triangle on the metal.

Step 6: Remove the screws on the lower bracket and also set it aside.
(fig. 4)

Step 7: Remove the screws on the hinge brackets and lower the screen backwards.
(fig. 5)

Step 8: Carefully remove the screen, keeping in mind the cable that is connected to it. Place it down on the keyboard, or on something that won't damage it.
(fig. 6)

Step 9: Carefully remove the connector. There is adhesive on one side, and tape on the other. Peel both of these back first. Then, without applying pressure to the screen, wiggle the connector out.
(fig. 7)

Step 10: Remove the screws from the mounting bracket on each side of the screen and replace them on the new screen. Make sure the are put on in the same orientation they were on the old screen.
(fig. 😎

Step 11: Setting the new screen back on the keyboard, reconnect the connector. There are two places that it locks, make sure they are both all the way connected.
(fig. 9)

Step 12: Replace the screen onto the plastic mounts and and re-secure the hinge mounts (fig. 5) with the 4 screws. Only put screws where there are triangles for this and all remaining steps unless otherwise noted.

Step 13: Replace the screws on the right and left sides of the screen, one screw on each side.

Step 14: Replace the lower bracket and tighten the screws. (fig 6)

Step 15: Replace the top bracket and secure it with two screws. (fig. 3)

Step 16: Replace the plastic cover around the screen, starting at the top and making your way down the sides and to the bottom. Makes sure you go over it multiple times to make sure all fasteners are locked.

Step 17: Replace the 6 screws indicated in fig. 1

Step 18: Replace the rubber stoppers on top of the 6 screws.

Step 19: Replace the battery and turn the machine on.

Voila, you should be all set to get back to gaming!

Overall I believe this is a fairly easy screen replacement, ASUS makes it nice and easy to see where the screws go with the triangles they provide. I have had to do it multiple times and I think I could probably do it in 15-20 mins. It probably took me about 30 the first time.

http://laptopscreen.com is your best bet for finding the screen. I experienced great customer support, tightly packed and well padded shipping, and was very impressed with them and the product I received. They have all varieties of screens for reasonable prices. I had heard of them myself from another forum and will carry on that suggestion to you.

I hope this step-by-step is helpful to all of you and may your resolutions always be superb! 😉

If you have any questions, feel free to post them below!
Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX | Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHZ | Noctua NH-D14 |
Asus NVIDIA GTX 780-3GD5 | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2x8GB @ 2133MHZ | Corsair HX750 |
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200RPM
14 REPLIES 14

Pitcher1
Level 9
it is cool, but ASUS will not agree it, because if you change LCD by yourself, we don't know is it able to use, and if we discovery LCD has been change, it will not warranty.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
it is cool, but ASUS will not agree it, because if you change LCD by yourself, we don't know is it able to use, and if we discovery LCD has been change, it will not warranty.

Oh come off the corporate line and get out of the 1980s!

People have been modding their computers for years, and changing out the LCD does NOTHING to effect the internal components you should still be standing behind. Or please do tell how changing out the screen dramatically reduces the capability of the other components to function as YOU warrantied them to do so.

Seriously I love your products, but that stance is SO far out of date - particularly with the crowd here that you are trying to be "cool" with. Gamers mod their rigs ALL the time.

What's next? That was an unapproved MOUSE??
Asus Strix G733QSA-XS99-17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
360Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS-Type Display
Razer Deathadder v2 Mouse
Verizon FiOS: Gigabit connection

dstrakele
Level 14
Nice Work, @ABroSolus! I've seen several posts from folks that would like to do this mod, so there is an interest, even if it does void the ASUS Warranty. Your post will be very helpful to them.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

DaemonXR
Level 10
My thoughts also 🙂
Enlight me!

ASUS G74SX-TY249D 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 2XWD BlackScorpio 7200rpm 500GB

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Thanks! That is an awesome guide. 🙂 I have 1080p in my laptop, so unless I can get 2560x1440 or something, I don't think I am going to be upgrading any time soon. Oh, and the G53SX (my laptop) does not have screen covers, so it probably would be a lot more work. 😞
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

indianacarnie
Level 8
Thank you!! Thank you!!! I've thought about this,and wondered if it could be done for almost a year now. I have the G74Sx -bbk8 and love it but have wanted the 1080 almost from day one. Have asked on tech forums and , here actually, and could NEVER get a clear answer of if it was
possible or not. This is my only rig so was a little reluctant to try without some confirmation.! Thank you! P.S. Mike_Lu@Asus , my machine is out of warranty :). Sure hope this tutorial gets to stay posted, as it will be a couple of weeks before I can afford to do it. Was going to get a SSD for it already and now I can go ahead and get the screen I've been lusting after! Again, thank you.
G74Sx BBK-8 Crucial M4 128GB.SSD/W.D.500Gb.@7200 HHD 16GB. RAM Stock otherwise.

An End,even with Terror is better than Terror without End. F.Nietzsche

indianacarnie wrote:
Thank you!! Thank you!!! I've thought about this,and wondered if it could be done for almost a year now. I have the G74Sx -bbk8 and love it but have wanted the 1080 almost from day one. Have asked on tech forums and , here actually, and could NEVER get a clear answer of if it was
possible or not. This is my only rig so was a little reluctant to try without some confirmation.! Thank you! P.S. Mike_Lu@Asus , my machine is out of warranty :). Sure hope this tutorial gets to stay posted, as it will be a couple of weeks before I can afford to do it. Was going to get a SSD for it already and now I can go ahead and get the screen I've been lusting after! Again, thank you.

It will stay, no worries, just may or may not be a top page thread, depending on how recently people have been posting in it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

When you go to laptopscreen.com you can navigate to the Asus G74SX screen page. They have two versions of the 1080p display, one that is matte and one that is glossy. I got the matte display because I'm often in the sunlight. However, get whichever you prefer. Just make sure that the one you pick is one of the 1080p displays(once again their should only be two options).
Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX | Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHZ | Noctua NH-D14 |
Asus NVIDIA GTX 780-3GD5 | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2x8GB @ 2133MHZ | Corsair HX750 |
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200RPM

Very good how-to. Just for the sake of adding to the thread, here's one that's been on Youtube for a while. On-par same as yours, just in video format for those who care:

Replacing my screen is on the radar again since I have a stuck pixel that keeps appearing and disappearing on my glossy screen. Started having an issue a year ago and almost ordered a replacement from XoticPC, but it magically fixed itself for several months. Unfortunately now it's a constant annoyance and starting to cause a bright hair-thin horizontal line across the width of the screen. So a new matte screen is on the list. What has me curious though is if the replacements are all 90% color gamut or lower, because I definitely want a 90% matte.
Roses are red
Bacon is also red
I'm not good at poetry
Bacon