cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix G751 black screen at boot for good (work arround)

joshindaphils
Level 11
If you want resolution please read in entirety and follow the directions, even if you have already done 'that'.

UPDATE

If you have a G751 update to BIOS v209 this has been reported as a permanent fix by many

There are two options to fix the issue.

1. Disable Fast Boot

*This does not refer to the fast boot in your BIOS, this is completely separate and has nothing to do with Windows Fast Boot. There appears to be much confusion regarding this with people insisting they still have the issue after disabling fast boot*

Follow one of the options of your choices here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

2. Disable Hibernation

This works as it has the side effect of disabling Fast Boot. An additional benefit is that you can reclaim the disk space consumed by your hyberfil.sys this is about the size of your RAM so it can be rather large.

Follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-hibernate-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Please link the any existing or new threads regarding the issue here
13 REPLIES 13

zerbi
Level 7
I have the same issue.
Both options are diabled
I still can reproduce the black screen by

1. hard reset the Laptop by long pressing the power button after running windows for a longer period
2. change and save something in the BIOS

zerbi wrote:
I have the same issue.
Both options are diabled
I still can reproduce the black screen by

1. hard reset the Laptop by long pressing the power button after running windows for a longer period
2. change and save something in the BIOS

Can you delete c:\hyberfil.sys?

Have you done a clean reinstall of your video drivers?

What is your system information?

Another post you indicated that you have disabled Fast Boot in your BIOS... please ensure you have read the post followed its instructions and followed the linked directions verbatim. It is not clear if you have done this.

I doubt you have followed the instructions provided in the 8 minutes between your post and mine.

As well the issue you are experiencing is symptomatically different then all of the other post on the matter. Others are experiencing black screen on a regular boot, not with special circumstances.

joshindaphils wrote:
Can you delete c:\hyberfil.sys?

Have you done a clean reinstall of your video drivers?

What is your system information?

Another post you indicated that you have disabled Fast Boot in your BIOS... please ensure you have read the post followed its instructions and followed the linked directions verbatim. It is not clear if you have done this.

I doubt you have followed the instructions provided in the 8 minutes between your post and mine.

As well the issue you are experiencing is symptomatically different then all of the other post on the matter. Others are experiencing black screen on a regular boot, not with special circumstances.

Pertinent bits you seem to be overlooking in red if you are seeking resolution.

I know this is 'old news' I've suggested this several times before. The point of this thread is to help mitigate the deluge of threads on the exact same topic with a clear concise resolution at the top. While clarifying things like exactly what is meant by Fast Boot.

zerbi
Level 7
Hibernation was disabled some days ago and the c:\hyberfil.sys was also deleted.
You are not the first one who suggests to disable hibernation 😉

zerbi
Level 7
Yes I done a complete reinstall of my Video Drivers.
I have a normal G751JT - no modifications.
Updated Bios to 209
still experiencing sometimes black screens on normal reboots.

flydutch
Level 7
I RMA'D my G751jy here in Italy for black boot screen and left USB port not connecting on hot plug in with both my WD Passport 1TB.
Let's see what comes back.
I'll keep you posted.
Greets
Antonio

flydutch wrote:
I RMA'D my G751jy here in Italy for ... and left USB port not connecting on hot plug in with both my WD Passport 1TB.

I changed my bios settings to not powerdown/sleep USB ports

Corporal
Level 9
If you get a black screen, press fn+sleep, computer will enter standby, then wake it up. Takes 5 seconds.

"I RMA'D my G751jy here in Italy for black boot screen and left USB port not connecting on hot plug in with both my WD Passport 1TB." It's very unlikely ASUS will do anything about it. The left USB ports just don't get enough power, it's a design flaw. ASUS would have to redesign the motherboard and issue a global MB recall. Only a class action lawsuit would make them do that. The black screen issue will be fixed by a bios update, if ever,

In Italy a new g751JY model came out with a new design number. Maybe it has a new motherboard that will fix the flaws and they will change mine.
Greets