cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade your Bios using Winflash

Omnikam
Level 8
Hey this is my first post which i hope will help some people
I have an ASUS G74sx laptop and recently upgraded my Bios with a hacked one, For reasons not relevant i decided i wanted to downgrade , I attempted to use Winflash but it reported that it was an older version and greyed out the Flash option.
After some research into the problem i found that it you created a Bootable usb stick and armed it with dos flashing programs that it could be done, but was this Really the easiest way? the answer is NO.
All you need to do is have Winflash installed and launch it through Command Prompt, Command Prompt can be found under Start Menu under Accessories
Now in Command Prompt navigate to where you have Winflash installed, for me i just entered " cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash " with out the ""
Now simply enter "Winflash /nodate" without the "" and then select your desired bios file, ignore the warning about it being an older version and press Flash. All done, the computer will now reboot and you have successfully downgraded your Bios
12 REPLIES 12

muphybird
Level 7
Omnikam wrote:
Hey this is my first post which i hope will help some people
I have an ASUS G74sx laptop and recently upgraded my Bios with a hacked one, For reasons not relevant i decided i wanted to downgrade , I attempted to use Winflash but it reported that it was an older version and greyed out the Flash option.
After some research into the problem i found that it you created a Bootable usb stick and armed it with dos flashing programs that it could be done, but was this Really the easiest way? the answer is NO.
All you need to do is have Winflash installed and launch it through Command Prompt, Command Prompt can be found under Start Menu under Accessories
Now in Command Prompt navigate to where you have Winflash installed, for me i just entered " cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash " with out the ""
Now simply enter "Winflash /nodate" without the "" and then select your desired bios file, ignore the warning about it being an older version and press Flash. All done, the computer will now reboot and you have successfully downgraded your Bios

I have an Asus G751JY that has been randomly shutting down at bootup when the wallpaper is loaded. It's fine when plugged in but crashes when on battery, even fully charged and showing 15 volts. I tried your instructions precisely and winflash wouldn't load the bios giving me a date error. I feel Windows 10 may have damaged my bios, and I should be able to re-install the last bios even if it is a duplicate of my current bios. I should also be able to install earlier versions if they are more stable. This is just crap. Why is Asus making it so hard for their customers who pay big bucks to buy their products. People have to have more flexibility
in updating their bios. I have one of those me drives, and I re-installed windows 10 on an SSD drive. Still no solution. The fact that it is random and seems to boot
up fine at times is perplexing. I tried changing power settings, running intel software to check the CPU and can't find a problem. So if even one knows of a way
to replace my bios, I would appreciate the help.

Just another question I hope someone on this board can answer. Is there any possibility Windows 10 alters the Bios? I have heard some comments that it does, which would extremely upsetting to me. So anyone who cares to jump in, and share their expertise is appreciated. I have heard some people say that Windows 10 can and will directly modify UEFI configs and files.

This was just perfect. Asus updated the BIOS and disabled undervolting, downgrading solved this. Now the only problem is windows update thinks updating the BIOS automatically is a good idea.