cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how quiet are your fans on G75?

ben02
Level 9
how quiet should the fans be on idle?

i ask because i just got a G75 and it's simply AWESOME in every way except there's a clear, sharp, "musical" humming tone from the fans all the time. one minute soft (CPU fan on, always), another minute loud (GPU fan also turns on, every minute). and it's driving me silly lol...can't read, write, think. i'm writing this on an old (quieter) lappy.
possibly unrelated, but there's also a small metal thing rolling around inside (more to the left/CPU side). something loose?

temps seem ok according to hwinfo64:
Idle: CPU 37 C, 2000 rpm constantly / GPU 37 C, cycling between off and 2000 rpm
Heavy load: CPU 68 C, 3000 rpm constantly / GPU 55 C, 2600 rpm constantly

fan filters were ok. rotating the laptop didn't help. didn't find any drivers/BIOS that turns fan off while idle. i don't know what else to try.
so i'm wondering is this normal? what do your laptops sound like? do people have silent fans? what's the noise distribution among ASUS users? (because i thought ASUS was famous for its quietness.) or does everyone have a little meditating guy under the keyboard humming? please help! thanks
39 REPLIES 39

Come to think of it, I can hear the humming occasionally on my G53SX, and it is working fine. It simply the fan motors and moving air. Nothing to worry about so long as it isn't really loud or sounds like something grinding. Moving air generates a tone, which is why lots of musical instruments work. 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Moving air generates a tone, which is why lots of musical instruments work. 🙂
this is epic 🙂
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Tomislav
Level 11
I compared to an Alienware because this is the only gaming laptop besides ASUS one I've tried...I use an older K93 laptop too and this one is actually more quite than G75. If you are interested in actual loudness maybe you could try to find a noise meter. (there is even an android App on the market)...
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Bundy_Drop_Bear
Level 9
wow I just put a noise meter on my tablet, so i could see how loud my desktop fans are and it only came up between 2.0-4.0 and i know my g75 is way quieter than that, as my desktop has 7 case fans on it so my CPU/GPU fans wouldn't even be detected. so if this noise meter is actually accurate then the g75 would be whisper quiet.

Tomislav
Level 11
well using noise meter is a bit of a getto solution...(I'm sure it's not correct as a pro nois meter,due to your table/smartphone quality) but it should show differences if you do some kind of a comparision test (like you did with your desktop). that being said... when I put my ear on my G75 bottom I hear only air flow...no humming noise...

edit- Ok I double checked and if I listen very hard on the exaust I guess I can hear a certain pitch to the airflow sound (but it sounds like a normal vent to me- that is vent motor) Hope this helps...
ASUS G75VX

HulkSmash
Level 8
The fans on this lappy really are amazing...my sister has a VAIO, which is about 1 year old, God I hear that thing from different rooms....now my G75, whisper quiet, just the sound of airflow....it only gets noisy when that damn HDD starts spinning :P...

HulkSmash wrote:
The fans on this lappy really are amazing...my sister has a VAIO, which is about 1 year old, God I hear that thing from different rooms....now my G75, whisper quiet, just the sound of airflow....it only gets noisy when that damn HDD starts spinning :P...

Same experiences here. Sounds like it is time for an SSD upgrade! 😄

You know you have an awesome computer when you say, "man, my comp just got loud - the HDD started spinning." :cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

OlMightyG
Level 8
I think that people, who switched from another Notebook to the G75, notice that the fans are quiet! But if you come from a G73, you might notice that the fans make other sounds. And i think that this other "humming" sound, make them seem louder compared to the olter G7X models.
One information: I had a model with that humming. i could reduce the humming of the fan (it was just the one side, the other one was silent!) by flipping the notebook upwards (so that the fan stand 90° to the table). So i sent that notebook back... who knows what happens with that fan in some months. The second one was much better. Still a humming like sound but not that irregular as in the first model.

You have to be lucky to get a good model. I changed my G73 3 times (First with defective fan, did not work. Second had a defective mousepad with non-working button. Third was ok.)
The G75 seems to be the same thing concerning the quality...

sl0519
Level 7
well...the G series is no doubt quieter than other gaming notebook
But compare it to a small laptop for example lets say...macbook air...the fan noise just isn't as quiet in idle...
With G series, I can clearly hear the wind blowing out of the exhaust in very quiet environment, whereas macbook...even when I put down my ears to the keyboard...the noise can hardly be heard...its almost completely silent...

This is just my experience.

fantomasz
Level 7
I had G73 and it was quiter than G75 but G75 is still better than other gaming laptop.
I had clevo 170EM and I sold out on ebay because the fans was loud like vacum cleaner.