cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How large of an SSD can I add to my second SSD Slot for ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V

foothills888
Level 8
Hi - I own a ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V that originally came with a 1TB 7200rpm HD and a 256 GB PCIe slot SSD. I successfully upgraded the HD to a 2TB 5400prm drive, but would also like to upgrade the SSD to the largest possible option.

It looks like there are 2 PCIe slots for Solid State Drives. If I purchase another PCIe SSD, can I just insert it into the second slot to add SSD memory to my computer? If so, how big of a SSD can I add to the second slot. Can it be a 1TB or 2TB PCIe SSD?...or does it need to be no larger than another 256GB SSD (for a total SSD space of 512 GB between the two SSD drives). Are there only specific PCIe types of SSDs that will work with this model, or will most any PCIe SSD brand work successfully?

One other side note question...if I purchase another SSD to add to the second slot, I don't believe it will come with the tiny screw needed to lock it into place. Any idea where you can obtain the proper laptop screw to afix it correctly?

It is quite....challenging to find accurate information on these specifics online, so thank you in advance if you are able to answer these technical questions.
17 REPLIES 17

jdfrench3 wrote:
Remove your two Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSDs and then restart your computer.

Please report what happens...... I'm guessing your laptop will not boot.

Your two 2TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drives are in Raid 0, creating a 4TB OS volume

Go into the BIOS Utility - EZ Mode
Look at upper right-hand of screen, Boot Priority:
If it list "Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume 1)"
Then your laptop OS drive is a RAID configuration.

Go into BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode
Click on SATA Configuration
SATA Mode Selection
If it lists "Intel RST Premium"
Then you are using Rapid Storage Technology RAID driver to operate your OS volume

CLOSE YOUR BIOS WITHOUT SAVING so no changes are made!

In Windows, go into Computer Management
Then into Disk Management
Disk 0 is your SATA drive
Disk 1 (Volume 1) is your RAID drive

Now, to answer your question.
You could remove all three of your drives (NVMe and SATA)
Install your new 4TB NVMe
You will have to make several changes in your BIOS to point the Windows Boot on your new drive.
You will now have to reinstall Windows
Finally you can restore your SATA drive

What do you gain?
You now have two 2TB Samsung NVMe drives in a RAID 0 configuration, giving you a 4TB volume
Your new 4TB NVMe drive would give you a 4TB volume but you would have another NVMe slot you could add another NVMe drive

This is alot of work for nothing at this point, unless you have a second new NVMe drive or reuse one of your original 2TB NVMe drives.

Good Luck

Thank you for your time but I'm sorry to say you you misunderstood my post. Your answer is not helpful and can confuse other users
in my position.
My two 960 pro appears as disk E and disk M and I can remove them both and use them separately from an external enclosure.
So if I remove both the 960 pro from my system it restarts obviously because as I said my OS is on the 2.5" 4b SSD disk.

Please read carefully my previous post.

I wish you a nice day!!!

H

Where did the MP510 come from? Is it possible there was an OS installed on it previously? If so you might be getting the repair message because it is trying to boot off of the MP510. I would go into the BIOS and make sure you are booting off of the 960 pro and then delete all partitions off of the MP510 before proceeding further.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MazingaZ wrote:
Thank you for your time but I'm sorry to say you you misunderstood my post. Your answer is not helpful and can confuse other users
in my position.
My two 960 pro appears as disk E and disk M and I can remove them both and use them separately from an external enclosure.
So if I remove both the 960 pro from my system it restarts obviously because as I said my OS is on the 2.5" 4b SSD disk.

Please read carefully my previous post.

I wish you a nice day!!!

H

Thank you for your post! No it was a new SSD and anyway I use to format any hd/ssd that come into my laptop and of course I don't use quiclk format 🙂

MazingaZ wrote:
I have the G752VS and I have installed a SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD by 4tb on the 2.5" slot and 2 x 2TB SAMSUNG SSD 960 pro in the two slots.
A total of 8Tb SSDs disks.
I've tried today to install a 4TB Corsair Force MP510 but is seems it isn't compatible with my system because the computer keep rebooting until I get the message that it's initializing the system repair.
I would like to know if someone has been able to make it works.

Have you tried to boot spamming your Esc key, that will bring up a one time boot menu then select your 2.5 4TB SSD you say have your OS on it. Once you have the OS running you can initialize your new 510? You can't boot 2 OS and there must be the remnants of an OS on that 510 or your system would not try to boot from it. Useing the one time boot menu should get you past this error loop.

If it was Me I would clone your 4BT 2.5 SSD to one of the 2 TB 960 Pro SSD it much better suited running an OS after the clone completes and boots up you can remove the 2nd 960 Pro and replace it with the new 510 4TB.
Otherwise you could clone your 4tb SSD to your new m.2 510 SSD. if this is the case what do you want for the 2x Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD
Your solution is to boot spamming the Esc key, using the onetime boot menu to boot to OS Drive. By cloning you don't need to change anything in your BIOS. You should only have your OS SSD and the new SSD installed. Clone, shut down Remove your old OS SSD they new SSD will boot, you can connect the old OS drive VIA USB and format it to Logical storage volume. Connect your other SSD and transfer your data however you see fit.

Cloning use Macrium Reflect Free Cloning a disk using Macrium Reflect 7 - YouTube
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

MazingaZ has stated " If I connect the MP510 using an external box through the usb3.1 I can see the disk without problems."

That means the NVme has been initialized and/or formatted (perhaps an OS installed)?

That's why I assumed his two 2TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe were in a stock RAID 0 configuration.

That's why I asked that several settings both in the BIOS and Disk Management be checked.

Now MazingaZ states "My two 960 pro appears as disk E and disk M and I can remove them both and use them separately from an external enclosure."

I wish a picture of his Disk Management was shown: (here's mine) Disk 0 is my SATA Samsung 850 Pro SSD and Disk 1 is my Raid 0 volume of two Samsung 960 Pro NVMes
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

MazingaZ
Level 7
Ok you can't know this but I think it's the case to say it. I have a degree in computer science and 25 years ago I used to make my computer by myself choising each single components. When I decide to move to laptop things have changed of course and apart from increasing RAM and Hard drive /SSD disks I don't dare to do more but I'm still aware of the basic notions and behaviour to use when you bring a new SSD to your system. Please can we avoid all the questions like "is the power cord plugged in"? 🙂
I just need to know if the MP510 by 4tb is compatible with this system or not.
When I've bought the SSD I've plugged it into its slot on the laptop motherboard and the computer didn't boot or better it tried to bood and after 2 attempt the message to fix my OS appeared. So I plugged it into an external enclosure and I initialized and formatted it and not in quick mode of course. I can see the SSD if I connect it to the external enclosure but the system don't work if I plug the SSD into it's slot in all the combinations. With and without one of the existing 960pro , changing the slot and so on.
I was hoping someone from asus to Jump in this thread but it seems that is not possible.

MazingaZ wrote:
Ok you can't know this but I think it's the case to say it. I have a degree in computer science and 25 years ago I used to make my computer by myself choising each single components. When I decide to move to laptop things have changed of course and apart from increasing RAM and Hard drive /SSD disks I don't dare to do more but I'm still aware of the basic notions and behaviour to use when you bring a new SSD to your system. Please can we avoid all the questions like "is the power cord plugged in"? 🙂
I just need to know if the MP510 by 4tb is compatible with this system or not.
When I've bought the SSD I've plugged it into its slot on the laptop motherboard and the computer didn't boot or better it tried to bood and after 2 attempt the message to fix my OS appeared. So I plugged it into an external enclosure and I initialized and formatted it and not in quick mode of course. I can see the SSD if I connect it to the external enclosure but the system don't work if I plug the SSD into it's slot in all the combinations. With and without one of the existing 960pro , changing the slot and so on.
I was hoping someone from asus to Jump in this thread but it seems that is not possible.

Everything in the specification for the Corsair 510 4tb m.2 PCIE NVME Gen 3 4X 2280 say that it is compatible with your system. I personally only have experience with Samsung SSD so I can't really speak to your choice of SSD brand. The Specification are compatible with G752 models
Since your a Computer Science type I don't have to explain UEFI or RAID to you or how to set up an OS
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Bit of a necro sadly, I apologise..

But anyone out there with a G752VS who wants to upgrade to a 4TB NVMe SSD, I believe the board can't cope with it.

I just installed an SN850X 4TB by WD_Black and it keeps rebooting every 5 seconds, and then starts sytem repair, only to reboot 5 seconds during that, too.