cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I clean the inside my GS74?

Physalist
Level 7
Is there a guide in here anywhere that shows how to clean the fans in a GS74? My laptops pretty dusty and it could use a good cleaning. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi @Physalist 🙂

Over at the BTO forum the BTO tech have made a disassembly guide on the G74SX.
Just be sure to not remove any labels saying "warranty voided if removed" in there.... since then you wont have the warranty anymore =/

I hope this helps 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I don't think disassembly actually helps much with cleaning out the fans, as they are largely a "closed" system.....opening up the computer doesn't really give you better access. The intakes are in the top cover, right at the base of the display panel (when it's open). The exhaust vents are on the back of the machine.

If you want to do some aggressive cleaning, power down and remove the battery, and make sure you and the chassis are grounded. Blow air into the intake grilles while simultaneously holding a vacuum to the rear vents. (Note that the exhaust vents are off-center to the right side, when looking at it from the front.) Just vacuuming the vents alone is also pretty effective.....it gets the fan blades spinning and pulls most of the dust out of the cooling system.

PS: In dusty environments, it's also worth pulling out the optical drive once in awhile to blow the dust out ot if.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I don't think disassembly actually helps much with cleaning out the fans, as they are largely a "closed" system.....opening up the computer doesn't really give you better access. The intakes are in the top cover, right at the base of the display panel (when it's open). The exhaust vents are on the back of the machine.

If you want to do some aggressive cleaning, power down and remove the battery, and make sure you and the chassis are grounded. Blow air into the intake grilles while simultaneously holding a vacuum to the rear vents. (Note that the exhaust vents are off-center to the right side, when looking at it from the front.) Just vacuuming the vents alone is also pretty effective.....it gets the fan blades spinning and pulls most of the dust out of the cooling system.

PS: In dusty environments, it's also worth pulling out the optical drive once in awhile to blow the dust out ot if.

Lol why didn't I think of the vacuum combo I've just been using the air can? Anyhow you don't think the vaccum will cause bad static? I am excited to try this albiet very carefully because I really dont want to crack this bad boy open only at last resort. I have been using a air can a few times a week just so I can hopefully just keep up with it and never let it get to that point of too much dust. Anyhow thanks for the heads up man.