cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot ambience temperature- Tips for cooling my pc

TheKnight
Level 7
Hello. I own the G752VY and it's summer here where I live. The temperature is absolutely not hesitating to go over 35 C. In winter my CPU temperature is around 75 C which is fine but now it goes to 90 C and it is throttling (checked with HwInfo64). I can also see my game get all choppy and laggy. The CPU starts throttling as soon as it hits 2 hours of constant gaming. I never play for more than 2 hours straight, even in winter so it's not that big of a problem to exit my game and go do something else. However I'm really worried about damaging the CPU. Can it even be damaged? I exit the game as soon as I see it stutter so I don't let my CPU stay in 90 C for long.

What can I do to help it cool down? My fans are not blocked by anything and my laptop is on a hard, solid and straight surface.
Thank you.
38 REPLIES 38

JustinThyme
Level 13
While the CPU is protected from over temp by throttling and flat out shutting down heat is the #1 CPU killer and it will over time shorten the life of your CPU.

Sorry to say the only way to get it cooler is a cooler ambient temp. 35C is pretty toasty! I keep my home at 23-24C during the summer and actually kick it down to 21C at night.
Blowing a higher volume of hot air isnt going to make any difference.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

TheKnight
Level 7
Thanks for your reply. The A/C is in my living room while my computer is on my office in a different room, thus it's not a viable option. Instead of 2 hours I'll just play for 1 hour and then stop and just browse the internet for an hour or so to let everything cool down. By the way my temps while idle seem to be different only by a few degrees C when compared to my winter temps and that's only for the CPU, the GPU doesn't seem to really care even when I'm playing.

davemon50
Level 11
If whole house air conditioning is not an option for you, and if your computer system is in the office in its own exterior space (as opposed to a wide open area), then one option that would work for you is to install a 1-ton air conditioner. It can run on 120V and provide enough cooling in the space to get your ambient down to where your computer no longer throttles or becomes disabled. A window shaker will add noise to your space on any speed at all, but if you can't use your computer then what's the difference?

If you are interested in that idea, maybe you can share a little info about the space your computer is in so we can make a more firm recommendation on the size of the A/C, 1 ton (12000 BTUh) might not be necessary, it might be overkill, and maybe a half ton or 3/4 ton would do the trick.
Davemon50

haihane
Level 13
you can run the Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU, as guided in this video:

might help shave off a few celcius(es).
and probably, underclock and undervolt your laptop GPU too. desperate times call for desperate measurements.

edit: included the source where i learnt this trick from:
source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

davemon50 wrote:
If whole house air conditioning is not an option for you, and if your computer system is in the office in its own exterior space (as opposed to a wide open area), then one option that would work for you is to install a 1-ton air conditioner. It can run on 120V and provide enough cooling in the space to get your ambient down to where your computer no longer throttles or becomes disabled. A window shaker will add noise to your space on any speed at all, but if you can't use your computer then what's the difference?

If you are interested in that idea, maybe you can share a little info about the space your computer is in so we can make a more firm recommendation on the size of the A/C, 1 ton (12000 BTUh) might not be necessary, it might be overkill, and maybe a half ton or 3/4 ton would do the trick.

Installing a whole new A/C system is going to be a very big hustle so I doubt I'll go for that.

haihane wrote:
you can run the Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU, as guided in this video:

might help shave off a few celcius(es).
and probably, underclock and undervolt your laptop GPU too. desperate times call for desperate measurements.

edit: included the source where i learnt this trick from:
source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

I do not trust myself in the slightest to use Intel XTU. I just know I'll screw something up. I'll check out the video you posted though, just for the sake of the trouble you went through to get it.

I'll just have to live with it until summer goes away or the weather cools down I guess. Play for short periods of time and then just browse the internet letting everything cool down. I'll even try lowering my graphics settings in my games. Maybe it'll help but then again maybe not.

Thank you all for your replies 🙂
(And people wonder why I prefer winter....lol)

TheKnight wrote:
Installing a whole new A/C system is going to be a very big hustle so I doubt I'll go for that.

No. Not a whole new air conditioning system. A window shaker.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS

You slide a window onto it and plug it in. Not any hassle at all. Takes 20 minutes. It's harder to install an AIO cooler into your computer.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
No. Not a whole new air conditioning system. A window shaker.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS

You slide a window onto it and plug it in. Not any hassle at all. Takes 20 minutes. It's harder to install an AIO cooler into your computer.

Nice idea but the problem is that my office doesn't have a window but instead it has a door that leads to a balkony.

I'll update my BIOS to 303 and report back. I know that the problem is the weather itself but I'll report back anyway to share my experience with the new BIOS version for anyone who's skeptical about updating.

To be honest I didn't really think they'd release a new one after 213. It says that it optimizes system performance. Anyone know exactly how?

Hey man try to clean your PC and perhaps add a few more coolers but in any case it's not normal that the CPU heats up so much. I have for example the maximum temperature during 90% of the load of the video card not more than 50 degrees except in the summer when the outside is above 35 then the GPU temperature can reach up to 65 but this is the maximum and I solved this problem very simply. My friend from A/C service company just made that the minimum temperature of the air conditioner can reach up to 18 C and that's enough 🙂

Korth
Level 14
Liquid cooling is fairly terrible when ambient (and coolant) is saturated with heat. Thermal transfer from CPU/GPU to radiator is dismal, no matter how much heat you attempt to blow off the rad.

Air cooling isn't great either. But you always have the option of forcing more air onto the parts and more heat off of them. It can get loud, but crank all your fans up to maximize airflow across the hot parts and out of the chassis. You can even remove the side panel(s) and aim a large room fan onto the motherboard. Perhaps aim another room fan out the window and yet another into the room, airflow across the entire room might help remove some PC heat, lol. Moving your PC into a cooler room (in the basement or wherever) might also be a good option.

Underclocking and undervolting can go a long way. If what you're doing can run well enough on half a PC.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]