cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot ambience temperature- Tips for cooling my pc

TheKnight
Level 7
Hello. I own the G752VY and it's summer here where I live. The temperature is absolutely not hesitating to go over 35 C. In winter my CPU temperature is around 75 C which is fine but now it goes to 90 C and it is throttling (checked with HwInfo64). I can also see my game get all choppy and laggy. The CPU starts throttling as soon as it hits 2 hours of constant gaming. I never play for more than 2 hours straight, even in winter so it's not that big of a problem to exit my game and go do something else. However I'm really worried about damaging the CPU. Can it even be damaged? I exit the game as soon as I see it stutter so I don't let my CPU stay in 90 C for long.

What can I do to help it cool down? My fans are not blocked by anything and my laptop is on a hard, solid and straight surface.
Thank you.
38 REPLIES 38

Clintlgm
Level 14
Probably won't help you much but upgrading to BIOS 303 has dropped my temps 5C to 8C? Worth a try my Ambient temps are around 26C and I'm Idling at 36 - 38C I can't help you with Gaming since I don't. I know that sounds crazy I keep checking and yea my temps are that low on a G752 VY
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

panzlock
Level 12
35C? That's an oppressive climate for the system and the user. I commend your vigor. But unless you drop the ambient you'll see very little drop in system temperature, unfortunately.

Best advice is to cool that room with a window A/C system. For one small room all you need is a basic, 5000 BTU unit and you'll cool that space right down, subsequently cooling your PC system.

If you have a basement, move your PC in there and that alone should help.

Edit: After I posted this I noticed you mentioned you have no window. Here is the alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI?psc=1
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:

Edit: After I posted this I noticed you mentioned you have no window. Here is the alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI?psc=1

This could work, yes. I'll have to find a cheaper one though lol. Thanks for giving me the idea.

TheKnight wrote:
This could work, yes. I'll have to find a cheaper one though lol. Thanks for giving me the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Madoats-Conditioner-Evaporative-Circulator-Refrigeration/dp/B06XT4TL6J/ref=sr...

Nice and cheap. Not sure how effective.

panzlock wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Madoats-Conditioner-Evaporative-Circulator-Refrigeration/dp/B06XT4TL6J/ref=sr...

Nice and cheap. Not sure how effective.

eh,
don't this... thing... turn ice cubes or water into microdroplets, mix 'em with air, and push em all out?

we humans love this cool effect.
not so sure about electronics 😕
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
eh,
don't this... thing... turn ice cubes or water into microdroplets, mix 'em with air, and push em all out?

we humans love this cool effect.
not so sure about electronics 😕

Oh god, I hope he realized I was kidding.

It should be a dedicated A/C unit. You want to cool the atmosphere and hopefully get rid of the humidity at the same time.

tommiboi
Level 7
🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK

maybe this or something that will fit ?
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK

maybe this or something that will fit ?

I doubt it. The problem is not that the computer doesn't have a good cooling system. The problem is that the air it sucks in to cool itself is already warm thus not allowing much heat to be "absorbed" by the air. Blowing some more warm air at it is not going to get the job done.
I appreciate your input but I'll go with what panzlock linked in his reply (well not exactly, I'll find a cheaper option).

davemon50
Level 11
Yeah, the dedicated A/C, that's my stance too. That thing linked is a "swamp cooler" - an evaporative cooler, and trades sensible cooling benefit for latent heat. So if you place it in a contained space it's going to raise the humidity levels in the space. Which makes you uncomfortable in a home office in my opinion, and also puts the electronics at risk once the RH gets high, unless of course it's a very small cooler, which then provides ineffective benefit. Sensible capacity is very limited compared to a refrigerant cycle.

I've designed a few of these before for large systems, ironically they are applicable for data centers that reside in dry climates. But I wouldn't use it in a home office. There is also another nice side benefit you get, constant fan noise right next to you! How nice, but you also get fan and compressor noise with a dedicated room A/C too.

Bottom line is in order to control the ambient in the hot summer, there is a reason why mechanical refrigeration was invented by Carrier and still used. You just can't draw in enough 95 degree air to cool something below that temp.

Alternate solution for you COULD be a mini-split (ductless) split system for that space. It's basically a small condensing unit outside and a little wall or ceiling mounted fan-coil to cool that one room. But then you need a drain and also refrigerant piped between them, and power supplies to both. It's not a cheap solution, and even though it's an elegant solution (and could be combined with heat pump if you wanted), the cost is why I didn't even go there, but suggested window unit at first, without knowing you were inside, no windows.
Davemon50

Ancients
Level 10
If you want a quick and dirty way go to your current power plan and set the minimum processor state below to anything 100 and your maximum processor state to 99%. This will disable intel turbo boost which should decrease your CPU temps by a good bit while not impacting gaming too much.