cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with G751 screen no display after waking from sleep - solved?

edlu21
Level 7
Hello all, I just gotten an used G751 it has win 10 installed.

Issue i am having is if I use the "Sleep" mode in window and come back to the laptop later it will power on but display is black. I know the back light is working as i can see the grow. I plugged into a monitor and nothing. only way to fix this is hold the power button down and wait for it to turn off, than press power button again and the display is working again.

Laptop is clean install, I updated bio to 211. update the video driver. Geforce version 385.41
I also read the forum link for the G751 I downed the ATK so i can now control the keyboard lights.

One thing that is weird is that once I turn on the laptop after "sleep" i first thought it was just something to do with the video card. But now i think it could be something else. The keys back lights up red full power, and even if I press the FN + F3 the lights are no longer turning down and off.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

there are not much software on this laptop just Avast Antivirus, Steam, Malwarebytes, and 2 games.
10 REPLIES 10

Gps3dx
Level 12
edlu21 wrote:
Hello all, I just gotten an used G751 it has win 10 installed.

1. disable/close Malwarebytes for the duration of the following fixes ( till after reboot is performed ).

2. reinstall ATK drivers or upgrade them from asus official download page for your device ( choose win10 files ) - it's a must for the sleep feature to work properly.
after installation, reboot -> check if ok -> if not helped -> goto 3.

3. reflash same current BIOS version, using Asus's winflash app + the "/nodata" switch.

P.S - do that these steps above, any time your windows is being upgraded a major release, e.i from win8->win10, from win10 RTM -> win10 anniversary/ creators update, from win10 anniversary -> win10 creators update.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
1. disable/close Malwarebytes for the duration of the following fixes ( till after reboot is performed ).

2. reinstall ATK drivers or upgrade them from asus official download page for your device ( choose win10 files ) - it's a must for the sleep feature to work properly.
after installation, reboot -> check if ok -> if not helped -> goto 3.

3. reflash same current BIOS version, using Asus's winflash app + the "/nodata" switch.

P.S - do that these steps above, any time your windows is being upgraded a major release, e.i from win8->win10, from win10 RTM -> win10 anniversary/ creators update, from win10 anniversary -> win10 creators update.

Thanks for the info. I tired to look at the links of drivers in your post and those links are dead for the ATK.
There is where I downloaded the ATK file. Not sure if there is any newer version.
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/

edlu21 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I tired to look at the links of drivers in your post and those links are dead for the ATK.
There is where I downloaded the ATK file. Not sure if there is any newer version.
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/

redid the Bio, and update the ATK to 1.0.0055. and same thing blink screen after sleep.

so my temp fix is to change the power setting so the laptop never goes to sleep when plugged in. Still open to any suggestions.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Never use Sleep. It's a problem with Windows on nearly every computer and I suppose, a quick solution if you need to move to another location when using a laptop yet don't want to lose work.

Things just don't run properly after resuming from Sleep, it's like refreezing fast food, then having it later. It's just not nice anymore.

Either shutdown or allow the computer to continuously run with lid closed with 'Do nothing' option selected.

Hibernate I am unsure of though I assume it's better than Sleep as its method of halting the data and writes it to the disk, then recalls it. While Sleep keeps it all in Ram.

Trust me using Sleep is a bad habit, it should only be used as a temporary solution when moving from A to B.

Definitely never use Sleep if you're going to Sleep too. ;d

More focused on your issue, your problem would possibly be the Display Driver is getting stuck when resuming Windows. A solution that pops into my head is disabling Quick Boot from your Battery Configuration page.

I agree with the Blue lady, Sleep is just a hassle on all computers for me. I disable it, I disable fast start up in windows and fast boot in the BIOS. from the beginning windows has had issues restarting with everything working correctly.
With the SSD were running to day its just as fast to shut down and restart. or just leave your computers running which is what I do mostly.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I have a total of five (yep, 5) Asus ROG G751JT laptops, and all of them sleep (and wake up) fine like 99% of the time. The 1% of the time sleep doesn't work, it's just that the laptop has shut down (probably received an update and did a scheduled reboot or something similar). I just checked the power settings on three of them and they're really all over the place with none of them identical to the other, so I don't think it's a settings issue. I've modified the heck out of mine, but my son's laptop seems to have the default settings and then the third laptop has slightly different "default" settings. Just FYI, all of us are running ATK v100050.

I don't have a SSD in any of the 5, so not using sleep wouldn't be an option for me. The only time I've ever had a problem with a blank screen when coming out of sleep was on my desktop PC and that turned out to indeed be a video card driver problem. I also didn't want to go back to an older version, but it took a couple of newer versions until the problem was resolved. It was also a video card with an Nvidia chipset. Ironically, after I got it resolved that PC is never turned off now (the monitor times out) because it now runs the whole house, but it was still working before I disabled it.

Have you tried the Fn+F7 trick? I did see where some people can get the screen on by double pressing Fn+F7. With your keyboard lights acting up, it seems like you have a little more of an issue than just the video not coming on, though. Sorry, I'm not of much help, but I wouldn't necessarily just give up on sleep mode. We have over a dozen PCs in the family (both laptops and desktops) and use sleep on all of them without much issue.

This isn't on a ROG (it's a Toshiba notebook), but the same would apply to your ROG if you wanted to try to change the power settings to see it helps:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2899472/laptop-screen-stays-black-opening-lid.html

Thanks to all the suggestions. I removed the "sleep" setting from all the setting, battery or plugged in.

I am now getting random black screen on cold start up. I been doing little test and I would say it is about 10-20%. Each night I will shut down the laptop, AC is always plugged in. When I come back from work the next day, I will power on, and most of the days it will power on fine. once in a blue moon I will get the black screen. No ROG splash screen, nothing. I know it is doing the start up, I now have an external monitor near by. I just plug in the monitor and use that so I can see the mouse pointer to do restart of the laptop. And bang! upon the restart cycle the laptop screen is back on again. I did try the Fn + F7 few times and nothing. I thought maybe the cable some how is damage when I closed the lid and reopen that caused it. This is not the case as I do not even close the lid anymore after I shut it down for the night. Maybe the video card is going bad? Wait if the video card is bad than it would not output to the monitor at all. Agh....

This laptop has one HDD, no SDD.

Video driver is updated via the GeForce Experience and that didn't change anything.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You are one step from a fix. Not only disable the sleep but also disable the fast boot in windows power settings and the BIOs. This is not new, been going on for awhile. When you have fast boot enabled**what’s happening is more like hibernation. Upon power down it dumps the kernel and loaded drivers from the Ram to a file, hiberfil.sys. This not only causes repeatedly large writes to your SSD it also reloads whatever is there with no clean boot. *When you hold the power button down this is dumping that file and forcing a cold boot with a fresh load of the kernel and drivers. If you disable fast boot it never makes that write to hiberfil.sys and you get a fresh load every time.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I removed the quick start from windows 10 and so far laptop turns on every night with no problems! Thanks again!