cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! torn between getting G75VW w/ 660M or other laptops w/ 680M

jtesq
Level 7
Shopping for a new laptop and i'm torn between getting G75VW w/ the GTX 660M and one of the other top laptops that have the new GTX 680M.
I like the ASUS for the apparent balance between performance, low noise, and better cooling. I also like the appearance as well. I want the 660M because of the Kepler architecture.

However, I am hesitant to blow almost $2k for a laptop that seems to have an already (soon to be) outdated GPU. I've been reading that the GTX680M is also Kepler and offers way better performance with more efficiency than the 670/660. However, only other companies are offering the 680M as options (e.g. sager, orion, xoticpc etc...)

What would you guys do?
293 Views
19 REPLIES 19

mrwolf
Level 10
Well the fan noise is pretty normal when its on full power, a little loud but not too much to be irritating. Also because the fan is towards the back and is directed to the back, you dont hear the fan sound too much unless you are behind the laptop lol.. Heat wise its pretty cool, most games,within an ambient room temp of about 25degrees, it hits about 68-72 degrees. When i do max gaming OC its normally at 70-76 degrees 🙂 which is quite decent i would say. But i believe my particular g75vw is a little hotter than others because most people say they get lower temps than mine, still it has never gotten too hot no matter what i throw at it. On furmark burn in test my GPU stabilized at 85 degrees which is the most it will ever ever reach. But then again furmark burn in test is very very extreme and no 3d apps wil ever push it that far..

In my opinion the 660M and its kepler are good in terms of how much power they consume. So it is more efficient and your battery will prob last longer.. But the most you would be able todo is OC is reaally far up to 670M level. If you want the more powerful GPU i would go with 670M as when its OC'd it hit mark wayy past the 675M line


mrwolf wrote:
Well the fan noise is pretty normal when its on full power, a little loud but not too much to be irritating. Also because the fan is towards the back and is directed to the back, you dont hear the fan sound too much unless you are behind the laptop lol.. Heat wise its pretty cool, most games,within an ambient room temp of about 25degrees, it hits about 68-72 degrees. When i do max gaming OC its normally at 70-76 degrees 🙂 which is quite decent i would say. But i believe my particular g75vw is a little hotter than others because most people say they get lower temps than mine, still it has never gotten too hot no matter what i throw at it. On furmark burn in test my GPU stabilized at 85 degrees which is the most it will ever ever reach. But then again furmark burn in test is very very extreme and no 3d apps wil ever push it that far..

In my opinion the 660M and its kepler are good in terms of how much power they consume. So it is more efficient and your battery will prob last longer.. But the most you would be able todo is OC is reaally far up to 670M level. If you want the more powerful GPU i would go with 670M as when its OC'd it hit mark wayy past the 675M line



GTX 660m in a G75 can match GTX 675m's and if your lucky it can match overclocked GTX 675m's but i only seen a few people able to join the 1,300+ mhz G75 club.



I will say the G75 is not nearly as loud as my Sager. Yes my Sager can mop the floor with the G75 at full bore its a loud machine and the G75 why its kinda loud its about what you would expect its not the shocking oh crap am i on a flight deck loud. But i can also turn the fans down on the Sager.

bignazpwns wrote:
Yes my Sager can mop the floor with the G75 at full bore.


Welcome to the club 😛

670M, if the laptop is nor defective, will do a few degrees more than 660M. Both can do 675M numbers without any heat problems.

660M will give you around 25% more battery time if not used 100% load. At full load both have about the same so no real life difference. That "Kepler uses half the energy" will not give you double battery power. I've tested this on quite a few Kepler cards with different manufacturers.

c_man wrote:
Welcome to the club 😛

670M, if the laptop is nor defective, will do a few degrees more than 660M. Both can do 675M numbers without any heat problems.

660M will give you around 25% more battery time if not used 100% load. At full load both have about the same so no real life difference. That "Kepler uses half the energy" will not give you double battery power. I've tested this on quite a few Kepler cards with different manufacturers.


Cman, any rumors of if and when Asus might offer the gtx 675M or gtx 680m options?

jtesq wrote:
Cman, any rumors of if and when Asus might offer the gtx 675M or gtx 680m options?


Kepler based GTX 675m's are starting to show up so maybe in 6 months well see it in a G75 amusing Asus is started on them for the G75's since they are non MXM card's and the G75 can handle a gpu with a 100 watt TDP. Thats why you will never see a GTX 680m in a G75. The price alone would push the laptop into a price range where it could not survive. A G75 with a GTX 680m alone would run about $2,000 and for this price you have now entered Sager, Origin etc.

Asus found a nitch in the marker. Low end gaming laptop. Some people consider GT 640m's to be considered low end but i consider anything under a GTX 675m to be low end. Single GPUs greater then the GTX 675m is mid range and dual GPU "GTX 680m's" are high end.


Now from a engineering stand point i have seen the power circuitry of the mainboard in the G75. It can handle a 100w gpu. But that's about it you dont get much room after that before components start to fail. Asus wont just slap the card in because if someone overclocks the gpu and puts a massive current draw on that circuit it can burn out the motherboard "They will be out of money on a RMA since they can not prove the card was overclocked" Or worse it can cause a fire. Thats why they put in pretty some head room in stuff like this so if the card does suck a massive amount of current it wont damage the components. Some people may thing well they can just replace those parts. That would require a big motherboard revision change something that they don't do until a model change.


Personally i would love to see a GTX 680m in a G75. But way more other things they can do to improve the G series to fill the nitch its in. I dont know why they haven't done some of these as a few are as plain as day but the one thing i want to see on a G series before anything else is a unlocked Bios. Its Asus "ROG" it should have a unlocked bios since ROG is your flagship branding. Having a gimped bios makes the whole ROG thing a joke. Just give us a few advanced option even if it means voiding the warranty.


I had a guys G75. He did some overclocking on it with the intel utility that changes bios setting. System was bricked and would not boot. No way to reset the bios memory timeings as well as the cpu clocks. Issues was with the stock ram not able to pull the clock at the timeings it was set up for. If it had the ability to change these in the bios it would of been a 2 sec fix reset some timings and multipliers and its done. To fix this i had to pull the mobo out. Remove the stock ram and put in some better ram boot the system go into windows and return the timeings to default then put the stock ram back in. Its not even that we need overclocking features just gives us the normal memory options because taking the laptop apart to get that ram out is a pain.

Also to add to that my domanator kit had some messed up timing when i put it in. It worked but the timings were much higher then it should of been. I had to use the intel tool to change the timings. You but good ram and then this laptop will turn around and run it like stock do do dell oem ram.

Daylife
Level 9
How in the world do people complain about the G75 being loud lmfao............. If you put your ear right by it sure you can hear it, but thats like complaining about walking and your shoes making noise. ****s these days just amaze me.

jdotjdot7
Level 10
My G75 with a 660m has been amazing, it runs dead silent most of the time with the only sound coming from the wisp of air from the back during intense gaming. While it isn't as powerful enough to run BL:2 with Physx on high (everything else can be on high) it can sure do well. If you want, you can even overclock it no problem to +135 MHz (Or higher if you know what you are doing) and it will still stay below 80C. It runs more cool than my friends non-gaming computer with an integrated GPU does while running minecraft (that thing will burn your lap). This thing stays cold and the handrests reach at maximum, 30C (Which is more than can be said for the new Macbook reaching a surface temperature of 98C above the keyboard YIKES)

THE ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE IS IT SKIPS A KEY EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE BUT IM NOT SURE IF ITS THE LAPTOP OR IF I AM NOT HITTING THE KEYS HARD ENOUGH, that.... and it is a ****ing huge ass fingerprint magnet
ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

c_man
Level 11
Some Asus G55 laptops do have some OC options in BIOS. Those that you find in Intel's XTU I think. But not all of them or any G75 I could find.

Wouldn't oc'ing the 660m sort of defeat the purpose of the Kepler's seemingly advantage over the Fermi based cards with regards to battery performance? I would think in this case one might as well go with the 670m if performance bump is the goal.

jtesq wrote:
Wouldn't oc'ing the 660m sort of defeat the purpose of the Kepler's seemingly advantage over the Fermi based cards with regards to battery performance? I would think in this case one might as well go with the 670m if performance bump is the goal.


OC'ing the 660m while gaming won't use any more power than a 670m. OC'ing is not the same as Overvolting. In any case, it's a moot point, while gaming they would have similar battery performance, if you could game on battery at all. Remember, they throttle while on battery.