cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please G60JX screen backlight stopped working

superman2k2
Level 9
Hello I purchased a new GTS 330m for my Asus G60JX and for some reason my backlight wont turn on. The screen is on because I can see a dim picture and when connected to VGA or HDMI I get a picture on the screen.I forgot to mention I tried 2 other Internal screens and the back light on none of them worked. I even tried a different vga cable I had and the same results. I only get picture with VGA and HDMI. I need to know if the video card is the problem? Would the picture show through VGA and HDMI if the Video card is bad? Please any help would be great.
23 REPLIES 23

superman2k2
Level 9
Thanks for the info Ill give it a try. I got the #60m because that's the card that's compatible with this system. I think the monitor and power supply are from an Asus G60VX

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
superman2k2 wrote:
Hello I purchased a new GTS 330m for my Asus G60JX and for some reason my backlight wont turn on...

superman2k2 wrote:
Thanks for the info Ill give it a try. I got the #60m because that's the card that's compatible with this system. I think the monitor and power supply are from an Asus G60VX

1. Not sure how likely this is, but if you had to disconnect the LCD cable, make sure none of the connecting pins on the motherboard have not been bent and everything looks good there with the connections. I've bent them myself before when I wasn't careful unplugging and re-plugging the LCD cable back into the motherboard.

2. Sorry, I may have read the thread too quickly, but just trying to figure out what in your G60Jx currently isn't for the G60Jx model.
I wouldn't worry too much about using the G60Vx power supply yet, but if you are using other parts that aren't for the G60Jx model, we may want to look into them more later to check if they could be causing the problems.
The G60Jx should be using the GTS 360M, but your OP mentioned GTS 330m (and you mentioned #60m later), so just curious which vga board you are using and if it is for the ASUS G60Jx.
If you aren't using the LCD for the G60Jx, that might be another thing to discuss or look into (?).

3. We may want to discuss more first and it may not be worth it, but just wanted to remind you that you can always send it to ASUS for (out-of-warranty?) service if you prefer, but not really sure how this will go.
Good luck!

superman2k2
Level 9
Well I tried another Internal monitor and another lcd cable but The backlight still doesn't come on. Im really stumped The lights on the back of the case are on and the keyboard lights are on. I also know its not the video card I because I used it all night and played games on it.

i'd check out the inverter board.

superman2k2
Level 9
But I used 3 different Internal Lcd's and the back light wont come on with any of them but they work like normal in the original laptops. So I don't think its the Inverter....Could I be wrong?

superman2k2
Level 9
Bump.... Any other advice anyone can offer please? My power supply say PWR+ model c4 input: 100-240v 3a 50-60 hz output:19v 6.3a

cl-Albert
superman2k2 wrote:
Bump.... Any other advice anyone can offer please? My power supply say PWR+ model c4 input: 100-240v 3a 50-60 hz output:19v 6.3a

Check under your notebook for the input rating label, but I show it is also 19V, 6.3A, 120W, so it matches your power supply and should not be a problem.
The G60Vx and G60Jx appear to use the same 120W power supply, so this isn't the problem.

superman2k2
Level 9
I have a gtx 360m those are typos. The LCD and cable are from a G60vx

cl-Albert
superman2k2 wrote:
I have a gtx 360m those are typos. The LCD and cable are from a G60vx

Not sure if you meant to say GTS 360M instead of GTX 360M, but also curious if the video card was for the ASUS G60Jx, or you were able to get some generic vga module, etc.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what exactly is causing the problem, but I know the G60Jx LCD and LCD cable would work fine in the G60Jx, so I tend to go after anything that isn't for the G60Jx which may or may not be the right approach.
Anyway, you probably don't have a lot of G60Jx parts available to try out and may want to ask around more first for other ideas, but if everything else looks okay, I would look into those parts that aren't for the G60Jx.

superman2k2
Level 9
Yes that's what it say underneath