cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Need Advice, Asus G75VW completely wrecked, unknown problem

wasd123333
Level 7
Hi, I've had my Asus G75VW model for about a good 2 years so far and had no problems. Recently, I moved and accidentally left the laptop on sleep during the moving process. As a result, it stood in the sun for a good 4 hours and probably died of heat exhaustion. Now the problem is that whenever I try to turn the laptop on, the display nor the harddrive turns on. As a result, the computer spontaneously shuts down and refuses to even turn on the monitor (Offline monitor, but you can hear the fans spinning up, keyboard lighting, but no harddrive either).

After contacting a technician who by the way after a good month of repair and service turned out to be completely ignorant and wasted my time, told me that the problem lied in the fact that the motherboard or GPU had become completely wrecked and either I would have send it in for a hardware repair or try to replace the parts myself. I do not have warranty on this laptop. The technician was some guy overseas who barely spoke English, but I assume he knew at least what needed to be done, it's just he kept screwing up. He told me that he replaced the GPU, but apparently it was "unstable" and continued to create more and more problems. At this point I knew he had no idea what he was doing so I told him to send it back, and I should be receiving it in mail soon.

I come to these forums because this is most likely my last measure in contacting people who will give me thoughtful advice instead of charging $100 just to they can even glance at my machine.

At this point, I'm not even sure if the technician's analysis was correct, but it makes sense somewhat if the display and the harddrive refuse to turn on.
1. I don't think it's a HD problem because even without the HD, the display refuses to turn on.
2. I've already tried holding down the power button and draining the motherboard of its electricity
3. I've already contacted Asus manufacturers and because I don't have warranty they don't do anything about it

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time and concern.
12 REPLIES 12

wasd123333
Level 7
In a more detailed explanation here's how the laptop works:

1. Turn on power button
2. Monitor won't turn on, completely dead, Offline screen (Not Black screen, which is usually OS or internal problem, this is as if the monitor refuses to turn on)
3. Keys light up (After doing the power down method by holding for 60 seconds, the keys no longer light up)
4. Fans spinning, lights on bottom of the keyboard show what's running/not running
5. Computer shuts down out of nowhere
6. Computer turns back on
7. Computer shuts down again

After doing a bit more searching I didn't know that you can take off the display, so perhaps it could be a display problem? However, that doesn't explain why the HD wasn't running...

Gumwars
Level 8
The mobo is probably cooked. Expect to pay about $500 for a replacement and a fairly intensive repair. Because of the trauma, nearly all components, especially the battery, are suspected to have failed. It may be time for a new laptop my friend. You can bring it back to life but it may not be worth the cost of replacing everything or the time it's going to take to verify if every component is solid.

Actually, your second post resonates with a CPU failure. I know HP has an LED light pattern on start up for various component failures. Yours sounds like it might be a cooked CPU.

wasd123333
Level 7
Ah shoot I was afraid of that, but yeah I can verify now it's not a display problem because I tried connecting it to other monitors and nothing shows up.

I don't mind paying $500 for a new motherboard or gpu because I already invested a good 2k in this laptop, so I'd rather repair it.
It could also be a battery problem as well, those aren't hard to replace right?

Gumwars
Level 8
Oh your battery is most certainly bad order. Li-Ion batteries despise heat and if it was fully charged when it was exposed to the summer rays, I'd bank on it being toast. No, they are as hard to replace as it is to take one out and will likely set you back $80 to $120 depending on where you buy it. The CPU is about $200 (i7 3630QM) unless you use this opportunity to upgrade. So look at spending a range of $300 to $1000 in order to get it fixed, that's with you doing the labor.

Something to bear in mind, it may be cheaper to replace the laptop rather than repair it. Because of the color of the NB (Black), every component was exposed to heat in excess of their individual engineered limits. There is a possibility you may end up replacing every component before it's all said and done.

Something to bear in mind, it may be cheaper to replace the laptop rather than repair it. Because of the color of the NB (Black), every component was exposed to heat in excess of their individual engineered limits. There is a possibility you may end up replacing every component before it's all said and done.

wasd123333
Level 7
Ugh that's true as well, but this laptop is in great condition (super clean freak) and I've only had it for 1-2 years, I really don't want to invest in another because this ate my entire budget. It's hard to find a technician as well, these rip off places charge $80-100 just to even do a "diagnostic" and about $100-150 an hour (I live in SOCAL). Is there anyway to actually find out which component is ruined through some testing or professional service?

Gumwars
Level 8
I live in SoCal as well!

Here's your biggest problem:

You could find a working donor G75 and use it to diagnose what parts are fried on yours by swapping them in and out, one at a time and logging the results. However, because your parts could and likely are damaged, there is a chance that you could damage the donor test bed if you install them for the purpose of troubleshooting. You run into the same problem in reverse (taking the good parts off one at a time and putting them in your rig).

The other way is super technical and requires an oscilliscope along with the knowledge of what your looking for/at. You really are better off coughing up the dough and either buying a new rig or sending it off to ASUS for repair. Bear in mind that you can land a G750 from Xotic PC for about $1500. I just bought a G75VX, very well equipped from them for about the same. I'm only saying that because you are really running the risk of spending more than that trying to fix this.

wasd123333
Level 7
I see, thanks for the input so far I greatly appreciate. Yeah I don't think the donor G75 or oscilliscope will work that's way too desperate haha.
What caught my attention though is that there's an option for me to send it to ASUS themselves for repair? I wasn't aware of this can you show me how or what link it is? I thought that ASUS only repairs their laptops if you have a warranty for it, which I didn't pay at the time because I thought I would be able to fix stuff in the future myself, just not this 😞

I really don't want to buy a new machine either, but if ASUS repairs are going to charge like $1,500 for repairs, then I guess I have to buy a new machine...I feel like I just bought a Ferrari and as soon as I drove it out of the parking lot, it exploded lol.

wasd123333 wrote:
...I feel like I just bought a Ferrari and as soon as I drove it out of the parking lot, it exploded lol.

More like you just bought a Ferrari and as soon as you drove it out of the parking lot, you totalled it by hitting a brick wall.

Still sucks, though. 😞
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)