cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help me with asus g74sx rh71

gibsonjk
Level 7
i just bought a asus g74sx rh71 with regular 750gb hard drive but im buying a 256 ssd hardrive to replace os drive and put ssd in main drive but what sata cable comes with rh71s main drive will the factory one work with the new ssd im gonna buy cuz im gonna put the 750gb in the 2nd drive and 256 ssd in main os plz help me ty
11 REPLIES 11

RavenJumpDash
Level 7
I have the same situation... Called Asus three times and got the same answer... the operating system the computer came with will only work with the RH71's original configuration and if we try to put the OS onto an SSD it simply won't work. Though I haven't tested this 😐

Also asked if there would be any way they could send me a copy of my OS so I can get around this issue and the answer was no 😞

Is there a way to have multiple operating systems on seperate drives? like copy the OS to the SDD, so that the OS initially loads on the HDD and then switches to the SDD?

&Bump

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You both could answer a lot of these questions with a few minutes of browsing here on the forum. People routinely add SSDs to their G74s. This is discussed daily around here....

@gibson: There are two drive bays. One drive connects to a SATA connector directly attached to the M/B. The other drive attaches to a little SATA board which is, in turn, attached via ribbon cable to the M/B.

@Raven...: Whatever that was Asus told you is wrong. As I said, many people here, inlcluding me, have their OS on an SSD in tthe G74. Asus doesn't give away copies of the OS, but if you want to simply re-install the Asus installation on your new drive, a factory restore is the way to go.

Do you actually want a dual-boot system? Or are you just wondering how to get the OS onto the SSD?

No, I don't want a dual boot system. Yet, anyways, I haven't discovered the advantage yet. I just want to upgrade the HD to a SSD and was told by Asus that it was improssible. I'll search the forums and link the solution.

RavenJumpDash wrote:
No, I don't want a dual boot system. Yet, anyways, I haven't discovered the advantage yet. I just want to upgrade the HD to a SSD and was told by Asus that it was improssible. I'll search the forums and link the solution.

Would you prefer to just transfer the existing Windows installation onto the new SSD, or would you prefer to put a clean Windows installation onto the SSD?

BrodyBoy wrote:
Would you prefer to just transfer the existing Windows installation onto the new SSD, or would you prefer to put a clean Windows installation onto the SSD?

If it's easier to keep my existing Windoes Installation, then I'd prefer to do that.

RavenJumpDash wrote:
If it's easier to keep my existing Windoes Installation, then I'd prefer to do that.

OKay, you have a couple options for doing that.

OPTION #1: The gist is that you make an image (copy) of the current system drive, and then restore it onto the SSD. In a little more detail, here are the basic steps:

• Move all extra data off the C: partition (any of your photos, music, etc.)
  • Uninstall any programs you don't really want
  • Defragment the C: partition
  • Shrink the partition in Disk Management (to the size of the SSD)
  • In Windows Backup & Restore, create a system image and system recovery disk
  • Physically install the new SSD and update its firmware (if needed)
  • Use the system recovery disk to restore the image to the SSD
  • Boot up just like you did before....only now it's from the SSD, and it's faster

OPTION #2: If your computer is new & you haven't put much of your own stuff on it yet...and you do want the original Asus installation....do a factory restore to the SSD.

• Make a set of recovery DVDs (using AI Recovery in the current installation)
  • Physically install the new SSD and update its firmware (if needed)
  • Use the recovery DVDs to perform a factory restore to the SSD

Both of these options are pretty straightforward. The first one will copy your installation EXACTLY as it is when you make the image. The second option puts an EXACT copy of the original installation, the way it was when you first turned it on, onto the SSD. The second option might take a little longer, but it's probably the easiest method.

If I use the recovery disks on the SDD, won't the OS still be left on my HDD? Or will the recovery disks automatically format my HDD?

You'll format the HDD and re-task it as your data drive. You do that manually.....the recovery process doesn't do anything to your 2nd drive. (But do that AFTER the OS is successfully transferred to the SSD.)

dstrakele
Level 14
I see this type of question asked about every 45 minutes on this forum. Here is one of the latest threads: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8618-G74SX-XN1-SSD-installation

RavenJumpDash wrote:
... Called Asus three times and got the same answer... the operating system the computer came with will only work with the RH71's original configuration and if we try to put the OS onto an SSD it simply won't work.

Also asked if there would be any way they could send me a copy of my OS so I can get around this issue and the answer was no 😞

With so many folks out of work, it's hard to believe customer service reps could provide answers like that and stay on the payroll... Maybe you just didn't hear him say you could make DVD's of the Factory OS or download your Windows version ISO file from the internet and burn your own DVD.......NAAAAAAHH!!!!!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT