cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone jack: Daughterboard or motherboard mounted?

TheAdmiralty
Level 7
Hello!

I've got a bit of a problem, mostly due to my own fault.. I have a pair of Shure SRH940s which I use on my G75VW... unfortunately, the large plug got hung up on something and ended up cracking the 3.5mm headphone jack. It does still work, but put any pressure on it at all and it will either fall out, or lose sound. I'd rather not buy an external DAC to fix this.

I was wondering whether the left I/O ports are mounted on a daughterboard, or if they're soldered directly to the motherboard. If they happen to be on a DB, what would it take for me to get a replacement, and at what cost? It would probably be cheaper than buying an external unit just to have reliable headphone use again. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and a protomat pcb router, but I won't be destroying a $1300 system to justify not buying a $150 DAC if there isn't anything else to do.

Any thoughts? I can't believe I'm the first person to have done this. I'll get in touch with Asus support, but until then, I just wanted the community opinion.

Much appreciated,
-Matt
System: Asus G75VW BHI7N07
Memory: 16GB DDR3-1600
GPU: Geforce GTX 660M
CPU: Intel I7-3630QM
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB + Seagate 1TB HDD
3 REPLIES 3

Pitcher1
Level 9
what is your model? G46 or G75? if G46, you will change main board, if G75 you can only change audio board.

To be honest, I recommend buying a DAC. The noticeable difference in audio quality and clarity of the sound is amazing going from 3.5mm to a DAC. I am listening on a pair of AKG K 701 with a AudioEngine D1 DAC and it's wonderful.
Jupiter III
Model: ASUS ROG G752VSK OC Edition
Screen: 17.3’ 120hz TN 1080p Screen
CPU: Intel i7-7820HK 2.9/3.9GHz.
Memory: Kingston Fury 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz. RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
Storage:1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVME SSD (OS) + 500GB Samsung 960 PRO NVME SSD (Docs/Scratch Disk) + 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Torrents) + 500GB Crucial MX300 SSD (Photoshop)
NAS (n0x): 12TB Netgear ReadyNAS 104 (3)4TB HGST RED 7200RPM 128mb cache

TheAdmiralty
Level 7
It's a G75 - to be specific, the G75VW-BHI7N07.

Even if I do order a DAC (Which I think I will), I'd still like to get this repaired. I put in a request two days ago at the service center to see if I could get a replacement, but haven't been given an answer yet... I'll give them a bit more time, but do you think I'll be offered anything other than "Please send it back to us for repair"? I can't afford shipping both ways, especially when I'm quite capable of replacing it on my own time, but I'm not quite sure what to expect just yet.

BTW, how do you like your K701's? I almost went for them over the 940s, but I prefer a closed-back pair of cans myself.

EDIT: Just got an update from Asus support, they want me to RMA the entire system for repair, as expected. Even if I thought it was still under warranty, I use this for college engineering work, and cannot go without it for as long as it would take for them to do a repair. Is it even worth trying to ask if they can just send a replacement along?

Much appreciated,
-Matt
System: Asus G75VW BHI7N07
Memory: 16GB DDR3-1600
GPU: Geforce GTX 660M
CPU: Intel I7-3630QM
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB + Seagate 1TB HDD