cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone hack emits red light!

Basilo
Level 7
Well, first, i am going to sue astro's ass of over their quality control, but for now, i will post this. So, my the tip of my headphone plug broke off in my jack, and after i got it out, the jack started emiting this red light and it became finicky about how hard the plug was pressed in and how it was rotated. Do i need to get it replaced?

Edit: i meant for the title to say jack...
18 REPLIES 18

Bojamijams
Level 7
Only some models must have the combo jack because my G74SX-RH71 doesn't have the optical S/PDIF

Bojamijams wrote:
Only some models must have the combo jack because my G74SX-RH71 doesn't have the optical S/PDIF

You actually tried it? Unlike my other Asus laptop, they didn't label it on the G74. On the more thorough European parts site, there's only one audio board listed for the G74.

Bojamijams
Level 7
No I haven't tried it because its not a COAX S/PDIF and if it was optical, the light would be there. I will try it when I get home but I'm 99.9% sure I don't have optical.

Will confirm and update.

Bojamijams wrote:
...... if it was optical, the light would be there.

No, that's not correct. I have two laptops with combo headphone/SPDIF jacks, and they don't emit any noticeable light when not in use.

Bojamijams
Level 7
Forgot about all this 😞

Will test tonight, for real 😛 but I'm curious.. if mine is a combo jack, why didn't they include a mini TOSLINK adapter like they did when I bought the Xonar U3 USB Soundcard which does have a combo jack and does emit the red light. Seems rather silly to have a combo port but not the adapter to actually make use of it

Bojamijams wrote:
Forgot about all this 😞

Will test tonight, for real 😛 but I'm curious.. if mine is a combo jack, why didn't they include a mini TOSLINK adapter like they did when I bought the Xonar U3 USB Soundcard which does have a combo jack and does emit the red light. Seems rather silly to have a combo port but not the adapter to actually make use of it

Same reason they don't include most other accessories you may need, like an ethernet, HDMI, USB cable, etc.

Users are expected to buy the accessories they need. This is not exclusive to Asus.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Same reason they don't include most other accessories you may need, like an ethernet, HDMI, USB cable, etc.

Users are expected to buy the accessories they need. This is not exclusive to Asus.

Fair enough, and you were right! It does indeed double as a digital output.

I can confirm that this works as well. Bought a toslink-spdif cable today and tried it out. Works perfectly, just make sure that you switch the sound output to digital as default (Right click on your volume in the bottom right and hit playback devices). Hated using USB for my 5.1 headphones, that was the only thing that bug me about this laptop till I read the OP.
System Model: G74Sx-A2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Drive C:
Total Space: 127.0 GB
Model: INTEL SSDSA2CW160G3
Drive 😧
Total Space: 715.4 GB
Drive E:
Model: Slimtype BD
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Display Memory: 2767 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3034 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Audio Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

kb0sdq
Level 10
Yup I saw a post on nbr i think it was where Chastity said the G73JH had digital output.
So that is pretty cool
Happy ROG_n

Doug