cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone hack emits red light!

Basilo
Level 7
Well, first, i am going to sue astro's ass of over their quality control, but for now, i will post this. So, my the tip of my headphone plug broke off in my jack, and after i got it out, the jack started emiting this red light and it became finicky about how hard the plug was pressed in and how it was rotated. Do i need to get it replaced?

Edit: i meant for the title to say jack...
18 REPLIES 18

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Basilo wrote:
Well, first, i am going to sue astro's ass of over their quality control, but for now, i will post this. So, my the tip of my headphone plug broke off in my jack, and after i got it out, the jack started emiting this red light and it became finicky about how hard the plug was pressed in and how it was rotated. Do i need to get it replaced?

Edit: i meant for the title to say jack...

You didn't say what model you have, but you clearly have a combo jack.....it's both a headphone and mini-SPDIF jack.

If it's broken, from your headphone plug incident, you would have to get it replaced. Fortunately, these are almost always add-on boards, so just that board would need to be replaced, not the whole M/B.

Oh, yeah, its a g74sx

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Okay, then it's just a small audio board, if you have to replace it and want to do it yourself. (You don't need the cable, since you can just re-use the one you have.)

Depending on where you live and where you bought your G74, you may have one-year accidental damage coverage. If you do, Asus would presumably replace the board free-of-charge.

Basilo
Level 7
Ok, who do i call to ask for the service?

Basilo wrote:
Ok, who do i call to ask for the service?

Asus. There's usually a sticker on the bottom of the chassis, with a service phone number. There's also an Asus RMA guide on both this forum and on NBR.

Hi. I am about to buy the G74, but it must have a SPDIF. I know your headphone jack is emitting a red light, but its just that I have no where read that the G74 has spdif. So If you can answer this for me, itll help me out a lot in the decision making process. I think you can check in the audio settings if the laptop has Optical out through the headphone jack. Please let me know soon. Thanks.

Tamour wrote:
Hi. I am about to buy the G74, but it must have a SPDIF. I know your headphone jack is emitting a red light, but its just that I have no where read that the G74 has spdif. So If you can answer this for me, itll help me out a lot in the decision making process. I think you can check in the audio settings if the laptop has Optical out through the headphone jack. Please let me know soon. Thanks.

No need to double-post to get questions answered around here. 🙂

Again...yes, the headphone jack is also a mini-optical out. (I should that add, however, that I recall at least a couple users who had trouble getting full 5.1 output. So I can't vouch for the ability of the G74 to accommodate the setup you want.....presumably, optical out to your receiver, for full surround, and HDMI/VGA out to your monitor.)

Geez guys....did you all think I was just BS'ing you or what???

Yeah kind of at first. I always wondered what the Digital output was under playback devices. Figured it was HDMI, but now I'm 100% happy with this laptop. Optical out was the only thing I was wishing this computer had. Battlefield 3 never sounded better. Thanks again for noticing this. Also, Check out my guide HERE for un-throttling your G74SX via BIOS Flash.
System Model: G74Sx-A2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Drive C:
Total Space: 127.0 GB
Model: INTEL SSDSA2CW160G3
Drive 😧
Total Space: 715.4 GB
Drive E:
Model: Slimtype BD
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Display Memory: 2767 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3034 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Audio Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)