cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard CMOS Reset Solution - For dead G75VW

tkolarik
Level 9
My laptop failed to boot about a weeks ago after a failed Windows update, no display, power and num-lock lights only, nothing when I hit ESC-key or F9. I had tried everything including disassembling the unit to expose the motherboard underneath the keyboard, disconnecting the CMOS battery and shorting across the two pins, but nothing happened.

The I saw a picture on a French website after googling several terms. After translating the page, it mentioned resetting the CMOS in it's broken English. The picture showed two sets of solder points, like two dabs of solder very close but not quite touching. The sets are labeled JRST2001 and JRST2002 and are located very close to the user accessible memory slots on the bottom of the mother board (under the memory cards if you have those slots filled). I shorted/jumpered across each set of points separately, meaning made a connection across the two solder points at JRST2001 with a metallic object the did the same thing with the two at JRST2002 (not from JRST2001 to JRST2002).

I turned the unit over and started it and after a short delay...It started up!!! I went into the BIOS and the CMOS had completely reset! It show the date as something in 2009. I reset to defaults and my computer booted beautifully. Buy-the-way, you should have the laptop battery and power adapter disconnected.

**Note of Caution** one of these maybe the CMOS and one maybe the EPROM. It is totally possible that this also erased the BIOS and restored it from the G75.BIN file from my hard drive when I turned it on afterward.

I struggled with the idea of posting this as it could make it easier for computer thieves, but that would be after that that the unit was already stolen and we have so many people here with "bricked" unit that this could help!

But use this only as a last resort, I had already gotten a quote of $315 to replace my motherboard and set up an RMA with ASUS tech support who could not guide me in this direction.

Good Luck!

17 REPLIES 17

C4RN1
Level 9

C4RN1 wrote:
You can short the 2 points with a wire, a pair of pliars or even a flathead screwdriver. I would keep one stick of ram in it and use the ac power without battery.

https://youtu.be/ihwj_MctVo4?t=85

https://youtu.be/IkmKCFSt0pg?t=147

Hi Man!

I am actually struggling with the same thing as all of you explained in the guide.

could you please clarify for me what I need to do in a very simple way I am not really sure.

Thank you in advance sir.

Decadia
Level 7
[QUOTE=tkolarik;510872

**Note of Caution** one of these maybe the CMOS and one maybe the EPROM. It is totally possible that this also erased the BIOS and restored it from the G75.BIN file from my hard drive when I turned it on afterward.

Yep, I think one was the EPROM. My laptop got worse after trying it out.
It did react to JRST2001 more which caused it to Loop-boot 3 times before trying to read anything.
How are your bin/bios settings named exactly for a VX?

darn it ALLLLL! it didnt work for me. im soooooo pissed that i spent all the money on this darn thing.....uggg

jeffh70
Level 7
To reset using this method you need to short the points ( 1 not 2 ) when booting. Managed to restart bricked device G752VS several times yesterday (repasted).

I was able to reset from semi bricked (LED turns on, SMART test, fans turn on, screen doesnt, cant enter BIOS, no logo splash)

and full bricked (nothing happens when pressing PWR)

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Careful with those. But yeah, JRST (i think) means "Jump Reset" and you need to make sure you're using the correct jump terminal for the BIOS. Sometimes there's three, possibly even more Jump Reset terminals and you need to differentiate them. Jumping the wrong one could make things worse.

Elwazeery
Level 7
I had the same thing on my laptop G752VS
But it's full bricked , nothing works no led no fan no anything , just a dead machine .
Could your method work for me?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Elwazeery,
Sending your device to service is another option for you.
Thank you.