cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard CMOS Reset Solution - For dead G75VW

tkolarik
Level 9
My laptop failed to boot about a weeks ago after a failed Windows update, no display, power and num-lock lights only, nothing when I hit ESC-key or F9. I had tried everything including disassembling the unit to expose the motherboard underneath the keyboard, disconnecting the CMOS battery and shorting across the two pins, but nothing happened.

The I saw a picture on a French website after googling several terms. After translating the page, it mentioned resetting the CMOS in it's broken English. The picture showed two sets of solder points, like two dabs of solder very close but not quite touching. The sets are labeled JRST2001 and JRST2002 and are located very close to the user accessible memory slots on the bottom of the mother board (under the memory cards if you have those slots filled). I shorted/jumpered across each set of points separately, meaning made a connection across the two solder points at JRST2001 with a metallic object the did the same thing with the two at JRST2002 (not from JRST2001 to JRST2002).

I turned the unit over and started it and after a short delay...It started up!!! I went into the BIOS and the CMOS had completely reset! It show the date as something in 2009. I reset to defaults and my computer booted beautifully. Buy-the-way, you should have the laptop battery and power adapter disconnected.

**Note of Caution** one of these maybe the CMOS and one maybe the EPROM. It is totally possible that this also erased the BIOS and restored it from the G75.BIN file from my hard drive when I turned it on afterward.

I struggled with the idea of posting this as it could make it easier for computer thieves, but that would be after that that the unit was already stolen and we have so many people here with "bricked" unit that this could help!

But use this only as a last resort, I had already gotten a quote of $315 to replace my motherboard and set up an RMA with ASUS tech support who could not guide me in this direction.

Good Luck!

17 REPLIES 17

Clintlgm
Level 14
Good Post this is the first we have seen of an actual Mechanical Reset of the BIOS, A couple different people have unsolders the BIOS Chip and Reprogram them. It all sounded way of my expertise as this is however with these models getting older it could save someone.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Bahz
Level 12
tkolarik wrote:
My laptop failed to boot about a weeks ago after a failed Windows update, no display, power and num-lock lights only, nothing when I hit ESC-key or F9. I had tried everything including disassembling the unit to expose the motherboard underneath the keyboard, disconnecting the CMOS battery and shorting across the two pins, but nothing happened.

The I saw a picture on a French website after googling several terms. After translating the page, it mentioned resetting the CMOS in it's broken English. The picture showed two sets of solder points, like two dabs of solder very close but not quite touching. The sets are labeled JRST2001 and JRST2002 and are located very close to the user accessible memory slots on the bottom of the mother board (under the memory cards if you have those slots filled). I shorted/jumpered across each set of points separately, meaning made a connection across the two solder points at JRST2001 with a metallic object the did the same thing with the two at JRST2002 (not from JRST2001 to JRST2002).

I turned the unit over and started it and after a short delay...It started up!!! I went into the BIOS and the CMOS had completely reset! It show the date as something in 2009. I reset to defaults and my computer booted beautifully.

I struggled with the idea of posting this as it could make it easier for computer thieves, but that would be after that that the unit was already stolen and we have so many people here with "bricked" unit that this could help!

But use this only as a last resort, I had already gotten a quote of $315 to replace my motherboard and set up an RMA with ASUS tech support who could not guide me in this direction.

Good Luck!

This is a very helpful guide, thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,
Bahz

migwer
Level 7
I was with the same problem the last 3 days. I dismounted and remounted my G75VW 3 times trying to reset the CMOs but last night I found the solution. The solution is quite simple; It is a matter of 1 minute. It is not necessary to go to these extremes to open the G75VW.

migwer wrote:
I was with the same problem the last 3 days. I dismounted and remounted my G75VW 3 times trying to reset the CMOs but last night I found the solution. The solution is quite simple; It is a matter of 1 minute. It is not necessary to go to these extremes to open the G75VW.

Well are you going to tell us????
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

migwer
Level 7
The translator does not help me understand, I'll make a few questions:

1 - You had Avast antivirus on your lap?
2 - Have you tried to reinstall the OS?
3 - Are you picture when you turn on the lap?
4 - Exactly where you can not access?

Greetings

migwer
Level 7
I I solved as follows:

I press the ALT + R keys apare >>>

a window appears with a date requesting rescue password >>>

I enter the password for the date shown and ready.

##############
The setting is reset bios but if you upgraded ever, still have the latest version.

tomastan4134
Level 7
tkolarik wrote:

I turned the unit over and started it and after a short delay...It started up!!! I went into the BIOS and the CMOS had completely reset! It show the date as something in 2009. I reset to defaults and my computer booted beautifully. Buy-the-way, you should have the laptop battery and power adapter disconnected.

**Note of Caution** one of these maybe the CMOS and one maybe the EPROM. It is totally possible that this also erased the BIOS and restored it from the G75.BIN file from my hard drive when I turned it on afterward.

Good Luck!

I was just wondering

how did you short the 2 solder points?

do i need to remove the laptops battery and cmos battery when i do the shorting.

I shorted the points with a small screwdriver. I removed the CMOS battery but left the laptop battery in place and unplugged from external power.

tkolarik wrote:
I shorted the points with a small screwdriver. I removed the CMOS battery but left the laptop battery in place and unplugged from external power.

hey so what happened? where is the CMOS and if the laptop losses all power will it default the CMOS?

Or anyone have any update or new steps?