cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide: The G751 new user thread (Clean install)

RogueNote
Level 9
Greetings, ROGers !
I thought I would make this thread for others like me that just got a G751 (my version is G751JT with SSD and 16GM RAM),
but I think most of these will work for the rest of the G751 users.

I had quite a few issues as I am not that great with PC's so I will write down the steps I did for everything to work decent and avoid any problems on a clean install of Windows 8.1 on ASUS G751.
Hope it will help 😃
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. So for starters you insert your Windows 8.1 DVD into the bay and then press the ESC key quickly while turning the
laptop on or after Restarting.

Doing the first step should bring up the boot options window, choose the UEFI:Matsitabd line and press Enter.
*(Choosing that will avoid the slower boot issue with the flickering upper left corner line)*
Press any key when the message shows up and then just wait for Windows setup to load.

3. Select your Language and Keyboard settings and press Next, accept the license agreement, type in your Windows activation Key.

4. Select Install Windows only then when you get to the partition wizard, delete all the partitions and create a new partition
firstly for the SSD if you plan to install windows there and leave the HDD one un-partitioned as you can create a partition for it after windows installs, from what I understand this way is better so Windows won't create boot files on the HDD partition or
something like that.

After finishing the upper step, wait for windows to get the setup ready and once you pass the Personalise step in Windows Setup
and get to the window where you are able to choose Express Settings or Custom, go for custom.

6. Disable Windows updates by changing the "Automatically get and install updates for drivers" or else you might get Windows to install drivers silently and you don't want that as you will install them yourself from ASUS.

7. After the upper steps you should be done by now with setting up Windows and be on your Desktop. I suggest a Restart now before doing anything else and after the restart go to Control Panel > Windows Updates and perform an Updates search.
*( I tend to go first to Windows Defender and check for updates at it first then go to Windows updates but that
is just a personal preference.)*

8. Install all selected updates from Important but Hide if you have any Driver updates and press Restart when updates are done and you are being asked. After the restart go back and search again making sure you have no more updates at Important.
Now go to the Optional ones and install the one that has around 700mb. Restart and go back and install any updates that are left.
If you wanna be safe do a search again to make sure you are not missing any, doing the upper steps should get all updates installed correctly and none failing.

9. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off and check the first box that says
.NET Framework 3.5 and press OK, then when asked where do you want to get them from ,
choose Download from Windows Updates.
After installing and Restarting (even if it does not ask a Restart is good after each install or driver update.) search for windows updates again and install any updates that show up after the installation of .NET Frameworks 3.5

10. Restart and get ready to install the drivers from ASUS.
Download the drivers from the below link and install them in the order below. Chipset is recommended always as the first.

Reminder: Please do a restart after each driver has installed especially when it asks you and DO NOT install 2 one after another and then do a restart for both as that can cause issues.
ASUS Drivers link for G751 models: http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g751

*01 - Intel Chipset Drivers.
*02 - Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control Driver (You will find 02 to 05 in the Others section )
*03 - Intel Management Engine Interface
*04 - Intel Rapid Storage technology Driver
(For intel rapid storage, right cklick on PNPINST64.exe then right click and choose Run as Administrator and reboot when asked.
After reboot go back to the same folder and right click on IRSTPatch.exe then choose Run as Administrator and reboot again after. It doesn't seem to show anything after you run it so just reboot after.)

*05 - Thunderbolt Driver
*06 - ATK Driver
*07 - Realtek Audio Driver (look at the driver version and make sure it is the latest one to have the audio fix.)
*08 - Realtek LAN Driver
*09 - Intel WIFI WLAN Driver or Atheros or Broadcom depending on your laptop model.
*10 - Intel Bluetooth Driver or Atheros or Broadcom, again depending on your laptop model.
*11 - ASUS Wireless Radio Control
*12 - Genesys Multi-Card Reader Driver
*13 - Elantec Touchpad Driver (When asked for permission please make sure you uncheck for it to always ask or you might
encounter it to ask after every reboot, if it asks after the first reboot make sure to uncheck again and it should not ask again.)

Hope this will be helpful to someone.
Special thanks to pokerface for helping me with my G751JT with his G751JY Guide at first wouldn't of had any idea what to do on many steps if it wasn't him.
If you want a more specific G751JY guide try searching google for G751JY windows 8.1 clean install.

GUIDE PART 2 ON LOWER POST!
32 REPLIES 32

CoderGuy
Level 7
Cool thank you.

clockworksatan
Level 7
Many thanks for the install guide, it worked a treat!
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

2menijulia
Level 7
any update if gamefirst III is now stable?