cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** [GUIDE] Remap Fn keys ***

Gps3dx
Level 12
DEPRECATED !!!
a new guide HERE: HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY and special buttons: "Steam", "ROG" & "ShadowPlay"

I won't reply here anymore about that subject - post replies only in the NEW thread !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
This guide will help you to retain the ABILITY TO MAP FN+THE FOLLOWING KEY: 1, C, V, T, num ENTER, up/down/right/left ARROW.
With this solution, For example, one can map fn+DOWN arrow to "play/pause", fn+Right to next song etc, etc....
The 'key list' may be different for other laptops/different ATK version - i'm not sure what causes the limitation.

The origin of this solution is from other site, something to do with "G51JX lounge" for an old version of ATK of the G51JX, the very 1st line of ROG high-end laptop.
I used this solution on my oldest G51JX, G55VW and nowadays to my current G751GT
Nevertheless, Although i'm using ATK version 1.0.0037 on my G751GT- it works as charm !

Please note that the files that I supply, works for x64 version (ONLY!) of Windows 7 and 8.
It is possible to get it work for x32 OS - BUT, I don't remember how - it has something to do with HEX editing.

How to install:
1. BACKUP, BACKUP:
go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" and change the name of "HControl.exe" to something like "HControl.exe-ORIG" so if this solution doesn't work for you - you will NOT need to reinstall the ATK package - just rename back the exe.
2. DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHED zip and EXTRACT ALL OF THE FILES into "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey".
3. restart your OS or MANUALLY KILL HControl.exe and reluanch it.

How to Config a new fn combo?
1. open AsusNbKeysCtrl_Rebuild.exe and click on "add new event"
2. now on your keyboard, click the desire 'fn+some_key' you wish to map ( i.e fn+down arrow, fn+v - NOT all combos are possible)
3. pick your desire command: execute something or emulate a keystroke from the list with/without alt/ctrl/shift.
4. CLICK "save all changes to system"
5. CLICK "Stop AsusNbKeys Process" and make sure it was killed (AsusNbKeys.exe) by looking at the Task Manager of windows (ctrl+shift+ESC)
6. Relaunch AsusNbKeys.exe (ONLY after it was killed as I wrote).
7. TEST the remapping you've made.

If it works for your satisfaction - Please report back which ATK version+laptop model you're using.
I don't take any credit - as i'm not the person who wrote the program.

How to install - ADVANCED!!!
If you wish to modify YOURSELF the Hcontrol.exe Do this:

1. Uninstall current ATK Hotkey and install the latest drivers appropriate for your system.
ATK Hotkey
2. Terminate HControl.exe in process manager.
3. Using your favorite hexadecimal editor open the C:\ Program Files (x86) \ ASUS \ ATK Hotkey \ HControl.exe file.
I used XVI32
4. Search for the string "ATK0100 AC EVENT"
5. Get rid of " %d" from "ATK0100 AC EVENT %d"
In the hex panel replace carefully "20 25 64" to "00 00 00"
6. Save changes and reboot the system.

Note: sometime fn+F3/F4/F7/F9 doesn't works while all the remaps through AsusNbKeys solution, works well.
EDIT: I manage to find a creative solution for the unresponsive original fn combos
Download THIS FILE (Image), extract, and bind the exe to "m1" button ( or anyother as your wish ) using Asus own program "ASUS ROG MacroKey" or using 'AsusNbKeys' I provided above.
Whenever you encounter that 'unresponsive bug' just run the attached file - it will automatically kill Hcontrol and run it again ( as long as you didn't change his default installation path )
The script is as follows ( the last line isn't mandatory, it is for the systray balloon notification )

@ECHO OFF
cls
@ECHO OFF
taskkill /F /IM "HControl.exe"
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe"
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\notifu.exe" /p "ATK Hcontrol.exe" /m "Hcontrol.exe\nHas been restarted" /d 5

That's all.
Enjoy.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]
5 REPLIES 5

nivmorabin
Level 7
Very very useful.

Thanks a lot

Hi,
I’ve tried to define somehow the END key which unfortunately is missing on my newly purchased ZenBook Pro UX501VW.
I’ve followed the instructions from how to install – ADVANCED section, and I’ve managed to put END on Fn SPACE (I preferred Fn HOME but obviously it didn’t worked). When rebooting and starting AsusNbkeys.exe the Fn SPACE still worked but I’ve lost ALL previous Fn mappings, incl. keyboard luminance control, starting calculator app and so on.

Is this a necessary limitation or I did something wrong? Is there a way to define Fn combos IN ADDITION TO THE ALREADY EXISTING ONES?

Thx

Korth
Level 14
(My favourite WinOS hex editor is WinHex)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Gps3dx
Level 12
@kesztió - AsusNbKeys was designed for G serie laptops. your is "ZenBook", a completely different SW and even HW configuration - I'm amazed to read that even one fn key works at all for you.
nontheless, you're welcome to try the newest version of AsusNbKeys ( look at my sig for a link )

@Korth - there are other threads you can troll till admins ban you out, BUT LEAVE MINE ALONE !
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]