cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guess which laptop manufacturer has the lowest failure rate?

cheek
Level 9
this is a 2012 study by square trade. interesting....

http://lifehacker.com/computer-manufacturers-ranked-how-to-pick-a-laptop-tha-1467145338?utm_campaign...

although tech support is ranked third behind apple and lenovo...
15 REPLIES 15

13fist
Level 10
That is interesting. Although I've never understood apple's success given my personal failure rate has been 100% with their products, I had expected them to be rated higher due to the popularity. I thought it could just be me.

On the other hand, before getting into asus G series laptops, my previous gaming laptop was a toshiba x205. That thing lasted the longest of any laptop I owned. I bought it at the PX in ramadi while deployed in 2007 and it survived until 2012 with the only failures being the optical drive due to Iraqs fine sand and it's final death from spillage. The funny part is how I was told by friends that toshiba was garbage, but time told the truth when it outlasted everything else, including harsh conditions no laptop should be expected to survive.

Now I have had one major issue with my G75. I was able to solve the problem, but it's true cause will remain a mystery. Given the level of use and modding done to it I still can't complain about the overall quality. If asus is listening, I will exclaim to knock it off with the garbage wifi card. That is the only issue I've had "out of the box" with an other wise perfect laptop.

13fist wrote:
That is interesting. Although I've never understood apple's success given my personal failure rate has been 100% with their products, I had expected them to be rated higher due to the popularity. I thought it could just be me.

On the other hand, before getting into asus G series laptops, my previous gaming laptop was a toshiba x205. That thing lasted the longest of any laptop I owned. I bought it at the PX in ramadi while deployed in 2007 and it survived until 2012 with the only failures being the optical drive due to Iraqs fine sand and it's final death from spillage. The funny part is how I was told by friends that toshiba was garbage, but time told the truth when it outlasted everything else, including harsh conditions no laptop should be expected to survive.

Now I have had one major issue with my G75. I was able to solve the problem, but it's true cause will remain a mystery. Given the level of use and modding done to it I still can't complain about the overall quality. If asus is listening, I will exclaim to knock it off with the garbage wifi card. That is the only issue I've had "out of the box" with an other wise perfect laptop.

Toshiba has been, in my experience, and excellent notebook manufacturer, and everyone I know would say exactly the same thing. ASUS is also excellent, though I didn't realize how high their customer support ranking was. That's great! Is squaretrade by any chance including the ROG forums? :cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

TokoDude
Level 10
Toshiba ranked2?

From my experiance i had so much laptops of thoshiba that were broken.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well if you think about it, most people that have problems end up here in these forums. There aren't really that many of us compared to how many units are being sold. Other than these forums tech support pretty much sucks. But apparently its even worse with the other brands?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
That's a really good track record for Asus, 84.4 success rate is very good🙂
I purchased three "G Series", and all been really good to me!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

TotalONE
Level 7
I don't understand how apple customer service is so great, Ive been to apple store couple of times and bought a lot of their product.. and I mean A LOT , their service is even worse then ASUS. 😕

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Apple has such a huge customer base because Apple had at its helm a brilliant marketing genius (deliberate redundancy) and the average person is not interested in performance, actual usability, personal development, or personal technological education. Apple encourages sheeple to maintain their personal technological "status quo" so that they NEED OTHER PEOPLE to develop apps, hardware, etc.

Why does your iPhone overheat? Can't hold a charge? Limited app usability? Tiny screen? One service provider? Because you'll still buy the next iPhone to be released even if the REAL problems are never solved. "Oh, your Li-Ion battery has degraded to the point where it holds a charge for only an hour, as will every battery? Nevermind being able to replace it for $6, go buy a new iPhone for $500."

When a PC is problematic, restart Windows. That didn't work? F-Disk, format, reinstall.
When a Macintosh fails, take it to the Apple store so they can do that for you. If that doesn't work, buy a new Apple (sheep).

The bottom line: Apple sells because Apple has convinced the world that it needs an Apple.

I feel better for having released the rage.

Dr. Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
Apple has such a huge customer base because Apple had at its helm a brilliant marketing genius (deliberate redundancy) and the average person is not interested in performance, actual usability, personal development, or personal technological education. Apple encourages sheeple to maintain their personal technological "status quo" so that they NEED OTHER PEOPLE to develop apps, hardware, etc.

Why does your iPhone overheat? Can't hold a charge? Limited app usability? Tiny screen? One service provider? Because you'll still buy the next iPhone to be released even if the REAL problems are never solved. "Oh, your Li-Ion battery has degraded to the point where it holds a charge for only an hour, as will every battery? Nevermind being able to replace it for $6, go buy a new iPhone for $500."

When a PC is problematic, restart Windows. That didn't work? F-Disk, format, reinstall.
When a Macintosh fails, take it to the Apple store so they can do that for you. If that doesn't work, buy a new Apple (sheep).

The bottom line: Apple sells because Apple has convinced the world that it needs an Apple.

I feel better for having released the rage.

Dr. Z

Preach on brother!

chrsplmr
Level 18
Considering that apple isn't a pc .. and they just do what they do .. I was thrilled to see the next section.
Not to shabby Asus .. not to shabby at all.