cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic outputs on G74SX laptop

Xraptorx
Level 7
Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a G74SX laptop and wanted to know what outputs the graphic card has.
Does it have DVI? Does it have HDMI? Does it have a Mini-display Port (apple standard monitors?

Secondly, is there a need to have a docking station for the laptop to be used at home? I want to use the laptop's monitor plus connect it to my 27" iMac and use that as a secondary monitor. Finally, I want to use a Logitech G11 keyboard and gaming mouse on the laptop. I am unsure if it has enough connections for those devices or if I will need an addtional docking station for that.

Thanks. This will tell me what I might need to buy in addition to the laptop. :cool:
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
My G74SX-A! has HDMI and VGA output only. I have 3 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port. I'm thinking you will need an HDMI or VGA to Mini-Display adapter to use your iMac monitor.

One thing I've learned is the G74SX comes in ~1 million different models. On (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/), it states "Product specifications may differ from country to country. We recommend that you check with your local dealers for the specifications of the products available in your country." You'll probably need to research online what models are available to you.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Coo, so I am thinking to use my iMac as a second display to extend my desktop. The hdmi to mini display port adapter I am looking at is: http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

Does anyone have experience running an iMac as second display? The resolution of the 27" iMac is 2560-by-1440

I am wondering if the graphic card in the g74sx is powerful enough to run games on both the 2560-by-1440 monitor and the 17" laptop monitor at the same time. Basically I need 2 large monitors 🙂

Xraptorx wrote:
I am wondering if the graphic card in the g74sx is powerful enough to run games on both the 2560-by-1440 monitor and the 17" laptop monitor at the same time. Basically I need 2 large monitors 🙂

I'm curious to hear whether anyone's tried it....but I would be shocked if this worked. If you could get it to output to two displays, it would run at the lowest common resolution.

dstrakele
Level 14
When I was initially hooking up my G74SX to my TV, I tried both VGA and HDMI connections and had a cable in each. Even though one was not connected to the TV, it was interpreted as a 2nd monitor. The Screen Resolution dialog reported it detected the 2nd monitor and I must choose to disable one. Therefore, I don't believe the GTX 560m is capable of running 2 EXTERNAL monitors simultaneously.

However, I believe @Xraptorx simply wants to run the 17.3" laptop display AND one external monitor at the same time. I've found I can choose different resolutions for the display and external monitor, but since both are natively 1920x1080, I can't determine if you are liimited to that resolution or would have the option to choose a higher resolution if the external monitor supported it. Screen Resolution DOES detect the TV as "VF551XVT" rather than "Generic PnP Monitor" so I think it MAY be possible.

As to be able to run a different game on each monitor, I suppose that depends on the games and how much of a performance hit you're willing to take. For me, I typically run different instances of the Commodities Futures game on both monitors simultaneously without an issue... ;>{)>
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT