cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gpu upgrade

kingkaan
Level 7
Alright folks,

I have a few people telling me i can do a gpu upgrade on my g75jw but when i spoke with asus tech support they said i shouldn't. Now my question is is gpu really soldered to the motherboard? at this point im kind of confused. because mobile cards are expensive around 500 - 700 dollars on ebay. the people who sells those cards also told me they wont work with asus laptops. is there any way to get around this?

When you look at alienware, msi, clevo their system is upgradable. and if only thing we can upgrade is the memory. let's be honest games are demanding in 2 years laptop is going to be garbage. unless you like playing games on low settings. if there is no way to get around this and upgrade it's a shame 😕
13 REPLIES 13

jmhdj
Level 10
kingkaan wrote:
Alright folks,

I have a few people telling me i can do a gpu upgrade on my g75jw but when i spoke with asus tech support they said i shouldn't. Now my question is is gpu really soldered to the motherboard? at this point im kind of confused. because mobile cards are expensive around 500 - 700 dollars on ebay. the people who sells those cards also told me they wont work with asus laptops. is there any way to get around this?

When you look at alienware, msi, clevo their system is upgradable. and if only thing we can upgrade is the memory. let's be honest games are demanding in 2 years laptop is going to be garbage. unless you like playing games on low settings. if there is no way to get around this and upgrade it's a shame 😕

Hi. It is almost impossible to Upgrade g75 series as there is no Place inside chasis for standard mxm3.0b form factor. And plus on top is mxm software compatibility problem as asus has its own way of implementing it in system Board bios. So only thing I can think of is to find latest gpu in mxm 3.0a form factor and try. That be said I am not sure which Cards are there in that form and how they compare to Your card in performance.

thank you for your reply! appreciate it!

You are welcome. On the other hand I have managed to upgrade asus g73sw both with nvidia 770m and 680m. Needed to exchange original gpu heatsink with one from older g73jh model. And made my own vbios to get cards recognised by system. But thats g73sw I know that there is no space inside g75 series for this kind of mods.

oh wow. that's interesting man! yeah i don't think i should touch it since it's that complicated id rather sell it. because mobile cards are expensive if i ruin the card and the laptop it will be such a waste. id rather sell it and upgrade it that way i guess. what a shame for asus. 😕

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
There is no way you can get around it, due to the fact that the VGA cards are not the standard format to what most laptops have. It's not just about space constrictions.

DeltaActual
Level 12
Forget about it. Just sell your G75 and buy G750. That's what i do every year.
G614JV

haha yeah i was thinking about buying the one with gtx 780m in it. i hate alienware and msi even tho you can upgrade them. i have the g750jw right now with gtx 765m in it overclocked but it's just not enough.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Both G75's and G750's use MXM 3.0b cards/slot.

The only difference between them is the way the vBIOS is implemented and their ROM sizes.

Since the vBIOS in the G75's are part of the system BIOS (88KB) they cannot be dumped using NVFLASH like how the G750's (163KB) can, since their v/BIOS is located on the card; This means more user control over the clocks and voltage. Also, raising the OC limit +135 is the same as done in previous generation cards, as is voltage range/stepping and P-state clock control.

On another note, KBT works on all G750's cards, where with the G75, it cannot. So just raise your clocks this way.

You can use standard MXM 3.0b cards in the G750 given the right chassis/heatsink modifications to fit, as it will run out of the box unlike with the G75's, as further modding is necessary.

There are more differences between the ASUS G750 cards and the MXM standard than just the PCB layout. However, this does not affect using a different card altogether.

I'd recommend just upgrading NB's if this is your first time modding rodeo, as likely things begin to get expensive if going for trial and error.

thank you for your reply! it's full of great information. ok here is my question now i have G750JW with gtx 765m in it so if i were to buy gtx 780m it would work but modding might be necessary?