cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going CRAZY with Realtek Digital Output! Please give me a hand, guys!

maumiguel
Level 7
I've bought a Asus Notebook (G750JX - a pretty good one) to mainly play games and do some music editing with MIDI.

The sound through the internal speakers come out great. Really loud and clear. But, unfortunately, any music editing software I install in it, it automatically sets to use the REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT as standard output.

But, the REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT doesn't come out through the internal speakers! So I have no idea how to use any software that goes directly for that output!

Someone told me that the HDMI port dubles as a optical and that would be where the sound would come out, but I connected it to my TV and it works just as without connecting it.

I've been searching on every forum I can find for the last 4 months and I still can't find an answer.

What do I do, my friends?
7 REPLIES 7

angrylemon
Level 10
Did you try disabling Realtek Digital Output in the Sound Settings under Playback Devices in the Control Panel?

hmscott
Level 12
maumiguel wrote:
I've bought a Asus Notebook (G750JX - a pretty good one) to mainly play games and do some music editing with MIDI.

The sound through the internal speakers come out great. Really loud and clear. But, unfortunately, any music editing software I install in it, it automatically sets to use the REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT as standard output.

But, the REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT doesn't come out through the internal speakers! So I have no idea how to use any software that goes directly for that output!

Someone told me that the HDMI port dubles as a optical and that would be where the sound would come out, but I connected it to my TV and it works just as without connecting it.

I've been searching on every forum I can find for the last 4 months and I still can't find an answer.

What do I do, my friends?

It comes out the Headphone jack 🙂

It is a Toslink optical feed. I use an adapter to connect to my Sennheiser RS-220 wireless headphones.

When I finally get a chance to hook it up to a receiver I will update with info about Surround sound modes, but right now I only use Stereo.

Here is what it looks like in use:

Toslink adapters / integrated cables to plug into the 3.5mm headphone jack:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Optic%20Toslink%20to%20...

Thanks for the information. But what kind of set up or at least minimum set up do I have to have to listen to that RealTech digital audio ?
I'm looking to get a minimum set up to use the RealTech digital audio. What kind of cables and stereos do I have to have to listen to that audio? I don't want to have a super high-tech set up. I just wanted to hear that sound. What is the minimum set up that I can have to listen to that?

maumiguel wrote:
Thanks for the information. But what kind of set up or at least minimum set up do I have to have to listen to that RealTech digital audio ?
I'm looking to get a minimum set up to use the RealTech digital audio. What kind of cables and stereos do I have to have to listen to that audio? I don't want to have a super high-tech set up. I just wanted to hear that sound. What is the minimum set up that I can have to listen to that?

What do you have right now that has a Toslink optical digital audio input?

Receiver model, surround or stereo, headphones, speakers, TV with HDMI, or?

Audio coming out the headphones jack is High Impedance analog audio - like any other headphone jack.

Until you plug in a Toslink adapter into the headphones jack, and a Toslink cable to a Toslink optical input on a device that will take the signal and decode it to feed it to speakers, headphones, or wireless audio device, then you are using digital audio fed from the optical output hidden in the headphones jack.

Toslink Optical isn't really complex, but it takes more equipment than just using stereo headphones plugged in, or taking that audio out to a stereo amplifier to feed speakers.

You want to use high impedance headphones in the G750 headphones jack, as low impedance like Apple Ear buds, or other 16/32 ohm headphones may show amplifier hiss. Try to get > 150 ohm headphones to avoid that. I think 300 or 600 ohm have been reported as best.

I use my Sony MDR-XB500's 40 ohm headphones, and I don't hear any hiss, but I prefer the sound of my Sennheiser RS-220's, and only use the MDR-500's when I am using the RS-220's elsewhere.

You need to tell us what you have that has an optical Toslink input that you can feed from the G750 Toslink output. Or, you will need to buy something that has a Toslink optical input before you can use the G750's Toslink optical output.

noone
Level 8
I don't understand what you're saying, you dont know what digital audio is?
Are you saying you don't know what the cable looks like or that you don't understand optical and spdif?
What are you trying to connect it to? Why do you want to use digital?

If you don't want digital, select something else. if you want it, plug a toslink cable to a reciever / tv / audio interface.

If you're drastically in need of using it you could get a Fiio E17 (not the cheapest, but a nice bit of kit), but then again, you could just connect that via USB.

Why not read on digital audio from computers in general, there are so many audio forums, computer forums, not sure why you've found info hard to come by...

Exaulted93
Level 7
I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, so will the laptop automatically convert from stereo output to 5.1? Don't want to buy that cable if it has no advantage over aux for me. All I can find is people using the cable for headphones which is different from a receiver. I want to know if people are behind me in bf4. I use optical on my xbox one and it helps a ton, it would be nice for it to work on my laptop also. Thanks!

Exaulted93 wrote:
I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, so will the laptop automatically convert from stereo output to 5.1? Don't want to buy that cable if it has no advantage over aux for me. All I can find is people using the cable for headphones which is different from a receiver. I want to know if people are behind me in bf4. I use optical on my xbox one and it helps a ton, it would be nice for it to work on my laptop also. Thanks!

You might be the first 🙂

The adapter and cable are cheap, give it a try and let us know how it works!