cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX GTX670MX Slowly Getting Hotter

Bosch164
Level 7
I've been keeping track of my video card temperatures off and on since I got my g75vx. One thing that I've been noticing is that when it was new, the 670mx was peaking at 76 Celcius. Now it is peaking at 80 Celcius. I've been playing the same games on the same settings since they were installed. The ambient temps very from 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit. It has the stock thermal compound. Has anyone else noticed this or something similar? Ive only had it for six months and keep cleaning the fan dust covers and heatsinks with compressed air. I've been using MSI Afterburner to check on the temps.
5 REPLIES 5

Dreamonic
Level 12
Possibly blew dust further in, but how are you blowing the dust out? Aiming inside-out or outside-in?

It's normal for your temperatures over time to gradually rise, especially with the stock paste which has been poorly applied as it is.

At 76°C out of the box that already is too high, mine was 62°C out of the box peak. Then I OV'd and OC'd my 670MX to 1125/2600 @ 1.037v and temps peak to 81°C.

It looks like you'll need to do a repaste to bring those temps down.

Kudos btw for keeping an eye on your temps!

Bosch164
Level 7
I blow the air through the fans and out the back through the heatsinks. I was thinking of repasting the gpu later on, but I still have six months left on my warranty. I've read that repasting the gpu or cpu would void my warranty. I have the confidence that I wont have a problem with any thing, but stuff happens and things fail (which is why I wont buy another Intel motherboard). I have OCD when it comes to dust inside computers since I built my first desktop four years ago. Im not spending as much time playing and taking more breaks while I'm playing on it.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Alright, well your temps are fine until then, even if they are not the average.

When you do repaste and want more performance out of your 670MX, PM me.

Bosch164
Level 7
Ok, thanks. I'm planning on keeping my g75 until there is a really good reason to upgrade to a new one. It would be interesting to get my g75 OC'ed higher than my desktop. I'm still running a Fermi based EVGA gtx560ti and cant get a stable overclock over 925/2700.

adamsyes
Level 8
It's due to the Poor pasting job and also most G75VX GPU thermal pads are melting around the VRAM instead of sitting on top of them to be sat on the thermal (black copper seal)

I suggest you repaste the GPU, and obtain 0,5mm - 1mm thick thermal pads as well.