cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vx bios problem.....

polsemedbrod
Level 7
I can not get into bios on my G75VX......
I try to f2 but boots just Windows 8 ( fast boot and UEFI )
by resetting the bios (battery out wait 2 min, boot with ctrl home bios reset)
then i come into the bios BUT only once, turn off laptop / starts again (efter 2min) no response when I click on f2 (or any other "shortcut keys Esc, f8 or any)
this has nothing to do with bios version cos I have tried to update from 201 to ,203 204, 206 after every update I can get in bios once and then the same problem ....
have tried to choose default settings in the bios and save and exit. unfortunately same thing...
any ideas?
kind regards
Kenn
16 REPLIES 16

loonie01
Level 7
You can try several things. While booting up hit (ESC) key or follow these steps (http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-8-8-1-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Enter-the-system-BIOS-or-UEFI-in-Wi...)

What I have been able to come up with is that there is some configuration script hidden in the bios. On install it creates the X: Disk Volume that is the Boot Volume but it is not only that , it is the first virtual operating system almost identical to the C: disk volume virtual operating system label windows. One of the virtual operating system is actually Windows PE. I am thinking it is the X: Disk Volume because WinPE.exe is in the root folder of the X: disk volume. Another clue that it is windows PE is that using the Fry's retail Windows 7 Home Premium disk to install the operating system creates an operating system version no longer recognized by the retail disk as the same version. After install the retail disk is useless in recovery process. The X: Disk Volume has an entire operating system structure just as the C: disk volume does. I think there is a dual boot of windows PE and what is considered the C: operating system. X: has full control of C:. X: is a bios network system. It has bios plugins and everything. All three notebooks were purchased from Best Buy brand new in the un open box. It stands to reason that there are countless other computers in the public hands with the configuration. Very simple to find out because there is no actual operating system installed to the hard drive. The operating systems are installed to network virtual disk volumes and have GUIDS rather than the actual paths to devices. All you have to do is take a look at the registries I provided a link to. Win7 is 170MB and 1400 pages in text. Win8 is 231MB and over 5000 pages in text. The average win 8 install is 20GB. My note book has had over 100GB gone after install. One more thing. Any software installed after the install of the configuration configures itself to the operating system configuration. It recognizes network Shares and everything. I took about the X: operating system and my notebook booted as normal. I do not know if it was replaced on the boot yet. One problem that cannot be gotten around is that the main Partition is GPT Server partition.

Sounds to me that your way more involved it this than the rest of us. All these notebooks come UEFI GPT the OS is installed on C:\ partition To understand the UEFI, this is the website http://www.uefi.org/ Most if not all computers are being built on this standard rather than BIOS MBR. That we are all used too.
Asus did not build a fancy UEFI interface for these notebooks it actually looks and works pretty much like what were used to seeing as BIOS.
I am no where close to being able to discuss This UEFI technically. I just know It works and I have been able to learn how work through setting up a disk and clean Installing

This is what a UEFI Clean install of windows 8.1 Pro looks like, yours should look pretty much the same except for yours won't have the unallocated space and probably will have D:\ partition that's the way Asus sends them out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
It's tough to get into the bios of Win8 systems at startup sometimes.

If anybody is interested, below is another article about getting into the bios from Win8/8.1 by holding the 'shift' key when you restart Windows:
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004710/

My notebook is not useable with the configuration because I am a pro se litigator in the federal court and I am legally entitled to litigation privacy and my legal documents and files do not become public information until filed in a court clerks office. Only I am authorize by law to access my Federal Court Pacer account. It is not a public group account and I am not litigating in a public class action nor have I done so in the past. You might need to contact others with the G75VX and see if they have the X:Disk Volume. It is hidden and OEM. There is a way to actually access it but if I were to tell you it might disappear. It is a view rather than actually opening the volume but the ability to move files and programs around and some editing can be done. Look at the X: disk volume and you get your answer. Nobody knew what notebook I would purchase when I went shopping at Best Buy. I had a budget from an apple all the way down. There has to be something dormant in the bios or the hard drive.

franky48
Level 7
To enter BIOS Setup press the ESC button quickly before the ASUS logo appears.
Regards

AAlpha
Level 7
My G75VX will give a boot choice or enter bios by holding down the escape key or F9 key.

I have read all your post on this G75VX, you purchased a used notebook. as none of the VW or VX came set up for any kind network. I suggest you bring it back to BB if you didn't know it was a used note book. Either way the Geek Squad should know how to get you out of that network and shouldn't charge you since you bought it from them.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I guess I have a problem with over analyzing things. That is how I know what I know and I have had the Asus G75VX for a year and someone has had administrative control of it. I understand the problem and will use a third party disk utility. Thanks for your help.