cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW power brick blew, need assistance

Thach
Level 9
I have a G75VW-BHI7N07 and was watching a movie tonight when I heard a couple pops coming from the power brick. I noticed my screen went dim like it had been unplugged and saw that the green power indicator on the brick itself went out. I tried plugging it into a couple other places and finally came to the realization the the brick is merely a brick now. It wasn't hot or anything like that either. In fact, it was on a concrete floor in a A/C room. I did a little searching for a replacement and seems like the only only I could find were not the same Amps. Most were 7.9A output while the OEM brick reads 9.5A output. I just got this notebook less than 4 months ago too. The tricky part is that I am deployed right now so I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to do anything.

Could someone point me in the right direction for assistance or link me a good replacement that ships to APO addresses? Do warranties even cover power supplies? I've never had a issue like this before. Thanks for any assistance and help that can be provided.
17 REPLIES 17

Thanks for the tip, I just notice my brick is lying upside down.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

parasurfer1979
Level 7
Before my laptop had to be sent back for failing to cut on, the charger would pop when plugging it up. This was the second time the computer motherboard fried. Asus asked me to ship the charger. I'm beginning to think my charger is the issue.

parasurfer1979
Level 7
Well my computer is on the way back. The CSR didn't know what was exactly done. I'd really like to know what they think happened versus what they did. This way I can prevent it from happening for a third time. The first time the cpu failed to cut on. When it finally did, the led keyboard lights failed and charging usb failed to work so I went ahead and sent it. Ii miss flying my Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I use it to instruct ground school.

Thach
Level 9
Thanks again to everyone for your help and ideas with this. I was able to get my RMA setup and sent the burnt out cable back about a week ago. In the meant time, i was able to talk a contractor to purchase me a cable off base here that will work in charging my laptop while its off. Thanks xeromist for the idea, so far its worked perfectly.

Thach
Level 9
Well i finally got my warranty replacement in the mail today. I guess it has been here on the base for about a week now and i wasn't notified. I am a little confused because the one that was sent back to me has a output of 9.23A and the original one that came with this laptop was 9.5A. When i filed the RMA, They had my serial number and complete model number so I assume that this brick will be just fine and i can do things as i normally would with no worry about my laptop pulling too much power but at the same time there is that little voice in my head throwing caution because of the Amp difference. Is this something that I should be concerned with?

I would also like to thank everyone here for all their help, opinions, and ideas. This site is really one of the best I have seen when it comes to support for a product.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thach wrote:
Well i finally got my warranty replacement in the mail today. I guess it has been here on the base for about a week now and i wasn't notified. I am a little confused because the one that was sent back to me has a output of 9.23A and the original one that came with this laptop was 9.5A. When i filed the RMA, They had my serial number and complete model number so I assume that this brick will be just fine and i can do things as i normally would with no worry about my laptop pulling too much power but at the same time there is that little voice in my head throwing caution because of the Amp difference. Is this something that I should be concerned with?

Assuming the voltage difference isn't an issue, don't forget to check the AC adapter output voltage too since you would multiply it by the electrical current output to get the wattage output.
19 volts x 9.5 amps = 180.5 watts
19.5 volts x 9.23 amps = 180 watts (rounded up)

You'll probably see something in the AC adapter model name with a '180' in it too.

cl-Albert wrote:
Assuming the voltage difference isn't an issue, don't forget to check the AC adapter output voltage too since you would multiply it by the electrical current output to get the wattage output.
19 volts x 9.5 amps = 180.5 watts
19.5 volts x 9.23 amps = 180 watts (rounded up)

You'll probably see something in the AC adapter model name with a '180' in it too.

Man it is like you are sitting here look right at my adapter lol. Everything that you just stated is 100% accurate with what I am looking at on this new adapter. Thanks for the little bit of education there, that's something that I am not going to forget. I am not sure how I have made it this long without knowing these little things. Every time I visit this site I learn something new.

Thach wrote:
Man it is like you are sitting here look right at my adapter lol. Everything that you just stated is 100% accurate with what I am looking at on this new adapter. Thanks for the little bit of education there, that's something that I am not going to forget. I am not sure how I have made it this long without knowing these little things. Every time I visit this site I learn something new.

Yea same here!
Great people here.
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz