cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-DS72 keyboard replacement / backlight issues

EricSP
Level 7
So i recently purchased a G75VW this summer, the thing kept freezing so I sent it for repairs and they ended up giving me a new one. Now my newest issue is that the keyboard backlight does not function.

I did however recently updated to BIOS 210 and after that 221 and I've only noticed in the past 3 weeks that the backlight are not working. I downgraded back to the default bios and it does not seem to make a different. I also went ahead and reinstalled windows 7 64 bit ultimate OEM fresh with all the latest driver no cigar...

So I figured my laptop keyboard is shot and I feel replacing might fix the issue so I went to the asus estore and came across this:
😞
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5114

My question is, did someone here actually tried and swapped their keyboard with the one above and have the LEDs successfully work??

Eric
15 REPLIES 15

dstrakele
Level 14
I guess you missed http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24569-Win-8-PRO-upgrade-How-to-keep-your-ATK-On-screen-stuf...!, just a couple of threads down from this one.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Guido7142
Level 7
I read that entire post but still no luck. I even tried installing W7 in a separate partition an with the ATK for W7 I can not get it work either. In W8 keyboard lights do not work and (neither in W7) and P4G Hybrid is working but when I switch modes it is not displayed on screen which mode I am on. Also volume and screen brightness indicators are not the ROG on screen type, just a regular W8 bar. Touch pad on/off switch is working properly and shows its nice ROG on screen indicator.

(I just checked the keyboard connectors and they are all in place and correctly plgged in).
Maybe bios thing ? I have just had my laptop unbricked with a new bios chip and is running v223 of the bios.

I also noticed that when I install KBFilter, it does not ask me for a installation path or anything, it just asks if I want to install it and then asks me to reboot. Then when I go into Control Panel / Programs and Features it does not show in the list of installed software.
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

parasurfer1979
Level 7
I installed newest bios and my keyboard wont turn on either. It DOES however flash at boot. It has to go back to ASUS anyway because the right speaker doesnt work after 2nd motherboard swap... grr... IDK...

Suggest you PM cl-albert for assistance with the RMA very helpful for me.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

gammite
Level 7
does it really require that much teardown to remove the keyboard?

Not really, but it is quite tedious to remove 50 screws just for the keyboard.
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M