cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-DS71 - Bios Locked...

MattRidge
Level 7
I just got off the phone with Asus tech support severely disappointed. I have an Asus ROG G75VW-DS71 laptop. It was great when it worked, but what ended happening is that last year Intel stopped supporting their tracking and BIOS security software system.

After "uninstalling it" using the Intel uninstaller it locked me out of my own BIOS. I contacted Intel, they said it wasn't their problem. I contacted ASUS and they gave me an RMA: USX2520333 so I could send it in and they could unlock the laptop. Mind you the laptop isn't bricked, the BIOS is just locked because of the software Intel didn't remove correctly.

Well then as they say crap hit the fan. I had to move, lost my job, and my wife was in the process of getting a scare of her life in where we were told our (now healthy son) was going to be born 23 weeks early... needless to say I completely forgot about the RMA and sending out the laptop... while it was still under warrantee.

Now things have calmed down, I am now working, moved into a new place, and dealing with a perfectly healthy boy, my problem is that the RMA is long dead. So I called up hoping to get a new RMA since the problem happened under warrantee, I was told by a tech and a Mgr. that because I waited so long, that the laptop is out of warrantee and the fee for the charge would be about $250. I was flabbergasted.

I understand that ASUS needs to make money, but this is far from reasonable. The issue happened while under warrantee, so why not approve another RMA under the same issue... since it was under warrantee when the original problem happened?

So, because of this I am stuck with a laptop that cost over $1400, that has a locked BIOS, and I can't upgrade, or install anything on it because I can't get past the BIOS lock...

I understand my situation is unique, but no company I have ever worked for has never denied a customer to renew a RMA when the original RMA was under warrantee. I have worked for Apple, Microsoft, and HP... at this time I am about to say that ASUS has lost a customer forever, and I am really tempted to tell my friends never to buy anything from ASUS again.

Those in power can verify that I own the laptop, if you need to get any more information from me, please PM, but your own systems should show ownership as well.

Right now I am stuck, and I need help.

I need to find a way to unlock the BIOS... if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. If we have to wait for someone from ASUS to get involved here to show that I actually own the product I will wait, but right now, this entire situation has left a very, very bitter taste in my mouth.
7 REPLIES 7

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well I don't get where Intel has anything to do with your BIOS? If you use a security password and forgot or changed it you would have to sort this out as its not really an Asus Issue. The only other thing I can think of is if you put Bit locker on your notebook that is an Microsoft program and if you lost or forgot your password your just screwed.
I suppose you could PM cl-albert he is Asus employee cl= Customer Loyalty perhaps he can help you out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well I don't get where Intel has anything to do with your BIOS? If you use a security password and forgot or changed it you would have to sort this out as its not really an Asus Issue. The only other thing I can think of is if you put Bit locker on your notebook that is an Microsoft program and if you lost or forgot your password your just screwed.
I suppose you could PM cl-albert he is Asus employee cl= Customer Loyalty perhaps he can help you out.

I agree, yet, ASUS was willing to take the unit back and unlock it for me while it was under warrantee, so they took responsibility for the lock when they initiated the RMA. They are now they are backing out from the situation. There is no excuse for service like this.

I'm sorry, my life has been dealing with customer service, and this is just poor customer service.

Well matt aside for cl-albert were are all just users here helping each other. PM albert he may be able to make something happen for you but warranty's run out I'm guessing yours ran out a year or so ago same as mine.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well matt aside for cl-albert were are all just users here helping each other. PM albert he may be able to make something happen for you but warranty's run out I'm guessing yours ran out a year or so ago same as mine.

I agree, but when service was offered under warrantee, and then I call back after life doesn't kick me around, and nothing has changed on the product itself, the RMA service still should be expected...

We do it at Bose, we did it at Apple, and even Microsoft... Asus isn't the only company around that makes gaming laptops... but right now I'm really tempted to say that this will be last one and product I will be buying from Asus... because if they can't stand by their products and services, then they don't deserve my money.

Yes I suppose we are all just numb to the fact that Asus has such poor support. Still the best gaming notebooks out there so we solve the issues here mostly
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes I suppose we are all just numb to the fact that Asus has such poor support. Still the best gaming notebooks out there so we solve the issues here mostly

It really doesn't matter how bad the support is because we have such a strong community. We also have the customer loyalty team that strives to help the worst situations. Though like I've said before too bad Mason isn't with ASUS anymore.

As for the OP's Situation it sucks that he couldn't complete the RMA within the given time frame. Though I am sure there are ways around this issue. You can either reset or reflash the bios, if the hard drive is locked with tpm/bitlocker/endpoint encryption you can easily write over the disk. If security is frozen you can flash the drive with the most recent firmware to unlock it.

Have you tried the hard reset for the g75vw yet?

Link below

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?66837-Hard-CMOS-Reset-Solution-For-dead-G75VW

Worst case you can always flash the bios with an spi flash programmer.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/g74sx-in-circuit-reprogram-of-bios-spi.656498/

Don't give up too easily

C4RN1 DITTO Mason, Albert was very helpful on my 2nd RMA that was 2 years ago and I haven't had an issue since. These forums are great we actually do solve most issues that people have here. Thanks for all you do :cool:
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro