cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW boot time.

ROGaddict
Level 7
My boot time cannot get below 3 minutes, no matter what I do. I have spent countless hours on the internet searching for a solution.
What I have found is that an SSD will improve boot times drastically.
I want to know 2 things, what is everyone elses boot time, and how would I install an SSD, could someone from BestBuy do something like this?

Running windows 7 Home premium x64

EDIT: Fixed boot time and it is under a minute now.
16 REPLIES 16

rewben
Level 13
g55 old model here. it boots (cold-boot) under 10 secs with fast startup (in the active power plan) enabled. without fast startup, it's under 15secs.

recent models has very much faster boot due to bios optimizations.

rewben wrote:
g55 old model here. it boots (cold-boot) under 10 secs with fast startup (in the active power plan) enabled. without fast startup, it's under 15secs.

recent models has very much faster boot due to bios optimizations.

How would I access my BIOS?

cheek
Level 9
according to event viewer diagnostic....its 19sec. i would say it is NOT fast. pretty sure i can shave 1-3 sec.
for your case 3 minutes is too long. could be memory leak or hardware problem.
what is the boot up time at fresh install?
for installing ssd search this forum. we at least need to know its win 7 or win 8. and a host or other factors...but overall its easy...
not sure about best buy. sorry

skiiermike
Level 7
Installing an SSD will make your eyes light up.

I bought one a while ago on a promotion. I bought the OCZ agility 3 360gb so it was big enough for my needs. Granted my new laptop has two bays so I don't need one that big anymore but it still comes in handy. There have been a lot of complaints about my drive but I love it.

What I did was bought a program called acronis true image. There is an option to clone your drive (even to a smaller SSD as long as you don't have more space used than there is available) Use an external caddy to connect your SSD. Clone your current drive to the SSD, swap them and that's it.

By boot times are almost always under a minute even from a complete restart.

I'm all ears (eyes in this case) if you have any more questions. I hope this helps.

rewben
Level 13
spam f2 or esc key on boot.

rewben wrote:
spam f2 or esc key on boot.

So where would I go to change it to fast boot? Is it in BIOS?

rewben
Level 13
uh? is your laptop running stock w8? if it is, you should be able to find the fast boot option in the bios. however, i think it's enabled by default.

as for the fast startup option, it's available in w8, not w7. to enable that you need to have hibernate enabled (which again is enabled by default).

rewben wrote:
uh? is your laptop running stock w8? if it is, you should be able to find the fast boot option in the bios. however, i think it's enabled by default.

as for the fast startup option, it's available in w8, not w7. to enable that you need to have hibernate enabled (which again is enabled by default).

Ohh I have win7 so Maybe I cannot do a fast startup boot. 😞

rewben
Level 13
for stock hdd, 3 minutes are too much (from what i've learned it should be around 1 to 2 minutes).

have you checked your hdd with chkdsk? do you defragment your drive regularly? perhaps a run of 'sfc /scannow' in command prompt (admin) can also help.