cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY with magical 8 second boot time?

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi guys,

my first post here. I have Asus G752VY notebook, and yesterday I followed the Windows 10 proper GPT install tutorial, but I am not seeing any
improvements on my boot time. I have fast boot enabled, secure boot also enabled, BIOS version 206.
Could it be that 256GB ssd is slower?

Specs:
i7-6700
GTX 980m
256 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

Thanks,
26 REPLIES 26

Kidfisto wrote:
Finally someone that gets me...

LMAO!!!!!!

We all get you, maybe more than you get yourself. Bottom line is if you are hell bent on an 8 second boot time and dont care about actual performance maybe save yourself some $$ and return the actual performer for a cheap Acer that will lock up playing minesweeper but boots in 8 seconds.

Going back to the car analogy this is not like complaining of 0-60 times but more like whining that one takes the starter motor 26 revolutions to start the engine while another can do it in 20 revolutions. Bottom line......pointless.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Julskey
Level 10
Well then, he may be right in his original post. No two laptops are created equal. They dont come with exactly the same components, and etc. it may be that the ssd hes stuck with is slower. Or he may just need some fine tuning as clintlgm puts it. Happy valentines sunday.

JustinThyme
Level 13
And your boot time is what?

Not about 8 seconds over 18? Did you read title and the OP of how someone with an Acer booted faster

We all know that BIOS is still immature on its second revision on a platform that has been on the market for 3 months. We all know that if you are running anything but BIOS 206 the fast boot enabled in the BIOS wont stay that way. My point is why do people obsess over 10 seconds to log in when it has precisely nothing to do with the performance of the machine? I have an older laptop, G74sx that boots from a Samsung 850 Pro in 6-7 seconds and gets a firestrike score of less than 4000. My G752VY Boots to log in in 18 seconds and now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks. Are you having performance issues that are BIOS related? If so post up your non 8 second magical boot time performance issues and lets see if we can get them sorted out.

ASUS is making progress on the BIOS but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. 211 was compiled a month before it was released, Im guessing Beta testing. If their progress in insuffucient for your liking there is always the option to go with MSI, Dell or Acer instead. If you go have a look at their forums there are just as many problems, if not more, over there.

Living on the edge has a price. One could always go back a few models where the performance is cut to less than half but they are done with the BIOS and they boot in 6-7 seconds.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
And your boot time is what?

Not about 8 seconds over 18? Did you read title and the OP of how someone with an Acer booted faster

We all know that BIOS is still immature on its second revision on a platform that has been on the market for 3 months. We all know that if you are running anything but BIOS 206 the fast boot enabled in the BIOS wont stay that way. My point is why do people obsess over 10 seconds to log in when it has precisely nothing to do with the performance of the machine? I have an older laptop, G74sx that boots from a Samsung 850 Pro in 6-7 seconds and gets a firestrike score of less than 4000. My G752VY Boots to log in in 18 seconds and now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks. Are you having performance issues that are BIOS related? If so post up your non 8 second magical boot time performance issues and lets see if we can get them sorted out.

ASUS is making progress on the BIOS but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. 211 was compiled a month before it was released, Im guessing Beta testing. If their progress in insuffucient for your liking there is always the option to go with MSI, Dell or Acer instead. If you go have a look at their forums there are just as many problems, if not more, over there.

Living on the edge has a price. One could always go back a few models where the performance is cut to less than half but they are done with the BIOS and they boot in 6-7 seconds.

reliable and easy to say go for acer dell etc ... etc .. after spending a bunch of money just because asus work a herd of goats. please consider the year I said before that this PC was in trouble a lot of problems that still 4 months away have not been resolved. but you always defend that asus work for them?

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Indeed Bios 206 boot time is fast, but but ... i need achi ...i love achi... Achi is life.

my cold boot time 15+- second, start up 15+- second, with Samsung 920 Pro 512Gb

2563mb/s Read, 1514mb/s Write.. 😞
Be happy anyway. Be always positive. 🙂

Justin, after reading through the posts again, I do see your point.
I also wouldn't care about few seconds more or less for booting. Yet, that bashing is not really fair. Other people tune their racing cars just to be one or two seconds faster on a track, so why should someone not be allowed to try tuning his "Racing Laptop".
But never mind, that's between you and Kidfisto. I hope a working BIOS will be released an then I wil be happy with my booting.

Even though Off-Topic, let me ask something more important:

now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks

A short hint on the tweaks please! :cool:
(here or in another thread)

Wemser wrote:
Justin, after reading through the posts again, I do see your point.
I also wouldn't care about few seconds more or less for booting. Yet, that bashing is not really fair. Other people tune their racing cars just to be one or two seconds faster on a track, so why should someone not be allowed to try tuning his "Racing Laptop".
But never mind, that's between you and Kidfisto. I hope a working BIOS will be released an then I wil be happy with my booting.

Even though Off-Topic, let me ask something more important:

A short hint on the tweaks please! :cool:
(here or in another thread)

I wouldn't want to give up the tweaks as it might possibly add a couple hundred microseconds to the cold start to log in time.

Im not bashing anyone, I just fail to understand how this is tuning anything. I've said I wont argue the point any further and only ask a single question that not a single person has answered. If someone can answer this and prove it conclusively Ive already said I will shoot down a crow, fry it up and eat it and post a youtube video of me doing it. All I ask is show me any actual difference in performance between 8 seconds to log in vs 18. Yes some like to tune there cars. I have a company issued ford escape in my driveway with a turbo charged 1.6L I4 that does 0-60 in 10 seconds with a tailwind going down hill that starts up very fast even in extremely cold weather. In my friends Garage over close to the Englishtown dragway is my project car that I've been tinkering with for 20 years. Its a 68 El camino with a 572 Big block, dual quads with a 6:71 blower that takes me several minutes to get started and warmed up ready to run. It will snatch the front end off the ground and do the 1/8 mile in 4.95 at 160mph.

I'm not arguing the point if people want to spend countless hours on getting it to boot log in in 8 seconds or less. Have fun and I wish you the best of luck with that. Ive already posted exactly how to do that but its gonna cost you the same time once you get to log in when you delay starting services and loading start up items. To call it a performance problem and throw ASUS under the bus over it because someones Acer boots faster but cant break 4K on firestrike I just find preposterous, but that's my opinion. I'm with ROG_HARDCORE. I prefer actual performance and don't find it debilitating to wait an extra 10 seconds to get it. Ill just crack my knuckles or pat my dog on the head in that 10 seconds.