cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY RH71 Black Screen after Asus logo

neverborn
Level 7
Hey all, been lurking here for a while.

So my sister uses the ROG (120GB SSD, 1TB HDD) for freelance work, but I'm the designated repair man. The laptop (huuuge!) doesn't want to boot to Windows. She says she used it normally a few days ago, shut it down, then this. Thinks some updates may have been installed, but not sure which ones and what kind.

I tried booting up from a Win10 CD and, here are some notes
1. X: = command line sees the Windows partition (I assume this is the SSD)
2. C: = Primary partition where her files are at. She says in Windows, this is really D:, and not C:
3. 😧 = CD drive

I've tried
-fixing boot partition, but no matter what the CLI wont see the Windows installation (no of installations found: 0)
-tried restoring (both options) but it says this drive is locked
-gone into BIOS (currently 206) where I've disabled Secure boot, disabled Wake on Lid open, enabled CSM
-FN+F7 to toggle screen off and on
-running a command to check and turns out its running Legacy BIOS mode, instead of UEFI
-no joy

SATA section says configuration is RAID (no AHCI option). However both drives (SSD and HDD) are showing as non-raid disks.

I'm familiar with fixing bad boot partitions, but hybrids like this (SSD and HDD) are new to me. I was going to update the bios to version 213 (read about 303 causing a boot loop) hoping that AHCI would fix the issue, but I thought I'd check in in here first. I've been back-reading a lot but could've missed something.

Many thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

ForgeOfGods-G75
Level 7
It can be becouse of intel rapid storage. If you set in bios drive mode ACHI or ATA and then install IRST driver u wont be able to boot it again. Try set disk drive mode to IRST if avaiable and reinstall widows then.

Thanks for your reply!

However, I'm not trying to re-install Windows (well, I will as a last resort); right now I just want to boot to the current installation. Also, as I mentioned I'm not able to select AHCI since that option isn't available in BIOS version 206.

Thanks for your reply!

However, I'm not trying to re-install Windows (well, I will as a last resort); right now I just want to boot to the current installation. Also, as I mentioned I'm not able to select AHCI since that option isn't available in BIOS version 206.

Basically I'm now trying to decide whether

1. re-install Windows - I'm hoping the SSD gets detected on setup, if I'm able to locate the iRST drivers. I also might have to pay for Windows again since I'm not able to acquire the exact version currently installed, nor its key

or

2. flash a newer bios (206 to 213) - simple, but risky

Help!

Well I would advise installing BIOS 303 for a start.
You can download a Windows Install media from MSMCT and then boot it up UEFI, then run a repair install. Sounds like your having a driver issue that is preventing you from loading windows.
Once you get back in check all your hardware drivers against the ones you have in your eSupport folder, or just install them and update as needed from Asus support Downloads.

Then turn off Driver updates from WU then keep them update manually from Asus or from the manufactor web site. Windows default hardware drivers don't work that well on these notebooks.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I'm going to try that tonight - at least the BIOS upgrade part.
After which, should I switch to AHCI? I didn't get a chance to play with the laptop when we first got it so I don't know the default setting.

I'm trying to avoid a clean install since that's likely to require a new key - since I'm unable to boot to Windows I can't list down the existing one.

Also, that page about the in-place upgrade says:
1. only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10

2. installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and same or newer build as your currently installed Windows 10
[I do not know the exact edition]

As far as I know the G752 come set up to run on the RST drive RAID would be the correct setting. if you switch to AHCI you'll have to reinstall in that mode. There is a work around using Macrium Reflect you'll have to search up that old thread I think maybe it was Justinthyme search his thread from a year or so back when they first came out with BIOS that had a the setting to switch to AHCI.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Updates:

1. BIOS flash to 303 was uneventful
2. Asus logo a bit spruced up, showed twice and got stuck again
3. restarted, went into BIOS and disabled Secure Boot, enabled CSM etc
4. Tried to boot, got into System Recovery etc. Tried a Startup Repair, which said "system could not be repaired, see logs ie SrtTrail.txt"
5. SrtTrail.txt says
number of repair attempts 1
number of root causes 1
..lots of checks "Completed Successfully. Error code = 0x0"
at the end:

Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully (obviously it didn't)

6. restarted - Asus logo came up twice, then stuck at black screen
7. went away for around 5 mins, then got back to a BSOD - Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Yes CSM setting prevent the repair install, that is only selected if your running a 32 bit version in BIOS/MBR, your system is 64 bit, UEFI/GPT so the repair could not see your disk/SSD

I would back up that eSupport folder somehow as you can't replace it.

Maybe an RMA is your best route or if your within the return to Retailer return it and get another one. Asus Support

I just reread your OP, you would need to boot the CD/DVD Install media UEFI most likely its booting MBR that's why it can't see you windows install.

You would do this, from an off notebook, press the on button and at the same time spam the Esc key, that will bring up a Boot menu from where you would select UEFI CD/DVD CD/DVD is a very slow unreliable install media, your much better off downloading this from MCT and create a USB thumb drive to work with.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro