cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752vy > GSYNC and VSYNC / FASTSYNC Best Setup?

diogogmaio
Level 7
With every new update is an adventure...please help me on this quesiton about G752VY

So...what I want is>> game (FPS battlefield 1 overwatch and such) to run at 144 fps....i have a gsync monitor at 75hz...laptop...the game can run at 144fps at lower graphics and competitively that is what i want...so what is the best setup?

1) GSYNC ON / VSYNC ON / ingame- vsync off >> frame limiter to monitor refresh rate; = i will have 75 fps right? and what about input lag? it's competitive enought?

2) GSYNC ON / VSYNC OFF / ingame vsync off >> frame limiter to 144fps; = i will have 144 fps but what about input lag? it's competitive?

3) GSYNC ON / FAST SYNC ON / ingame vsync off >> frame limiter tp 144fps; = i will have 144 fps but what about input lag? it's competitive?

4) usually, i have a asus vg248qe monitor 144hz that i can pair with my laptop...i put GSYNC OFF / VSYNC to 3dapplication default / ingame vsync off >> i have more that 144fps...it's competitive? what about input lag?

Thanks in advance
12 REPLIES 12

Ifrin
Level 9

Slick8791
Level 7
The opinions seem to be all over the place. What I've read from other posts is to use either (2) or (3). I've tried option 3 with very good results, but have since switched to option 2 (Gsync ON / Vsync OFF). Here is an detailed explanation of what the FAST SYNC really does:

Fast Sync: As of the 368.22 GeForce drivers, Nvidia has introduced a new form of VSync called Fast Sync. This VSync method is similar to Triple Buffering in that it uses three frame buffers. However, the behavior is slightly different: the GPU is not held back in any way by the display's refresh cycle. With Fast Sync enabled, the game engine will behave as though VSync is Off, hence the GPU can render as many frames as it possibly can at all times, which results in the highest performance, no framerate cap, and minimal input lag. Whenever the display needs to refresh, the GPU determines which latest available whole completed frame to send to the display, which in turn prevents tearing. Thus Fast Sync can provide the best aspects of both VSync Off and VSync On, without the negatives of either.

The major downside of Fast Sync is that (as a senior Nvidia engineer explains here) it is only truly beneficial in very high FPS situations, typically when your framerate is at least 2-3x your display's refresh rate (e.g. 120-180 FPS and above on a 60Hz monitor). At lower framerates, because of the way Fast Sync essentially samples/drops frames, you may notice similar sorts of latency issues as traditional VSync On, as well as stuttering. So in practical terms you should only consider enabling Fast Sync in older games, or newer games where the settings have been turned right down; basically only in games where you can guarantee very high framerates.

source: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html (page 😎

In my case (G752VT laptop w/ GeForce 970M), I'm not able to crank out insane FPS rates so I don't think the FAST SYNC is a real benefit. I'm better off with V-SYNC OFF since I have a 144hz GSync monitor.

I hope I was able to add more confusion to your chaos. 😉

BoutTime01
Level 7
This is the most informative article I've seen on the various G-SYNC/V-SYNC senarios.......
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=3073

Basically have G-SYNC on, V-SYNC on and use either the in game Framerate Limiter or the RTSS Framerate Limiter set to just below the displays max refresh rate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BoutTime01 wrote:
This is the most informative article I've seen on the various G-SYNC/V-SYNC senarios.......
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=3073

Basically have G-SYNC on, V-SYNC on and use either the in game Framerate Limiter or the RTSS Framerate Limiter set to just below the displays max refresh rate.

I finally read through the detail, but still a little confused on the VSync in-game settings. So, is the "best" setup as follows?

NVidia control panel: GSync ON + VSync ON

In-Game: VSync OFF (?) + Frame Rate Limit (If available) < monitors Hz

BoutTime01
Level 7
Yes that's it.

BoutTime01 wrote:
Yes that's it.

THANKS!!!

This gaming stuff is getting to a point you have to be Tech Level 10 Certified in order to play/enjoy a game the best way possible... :cool:

BoutTime01
Level 7
You can use either the in game V-Sync or Nvidia Control Panel V-Sync. I use Nvidia. It only engages properly when your FPS exceed the monitors maximum refresh rate and G-Sync can no longer function. At this point it will cap your FPS but you get latency/lag. So you use a frame rate limiter and cap yr FPS a couple of FPS below which effectively stops the V-Sync cap engaging and avoids the lag. If this makes you ask why have V-Sync on in the first place it apparently helps with frametimes and spacing making for a smoother experience. I'm no expert on this and only know what I have read. Thant link I gave you is fantastic.

never cap or put v-sync on >> on a competitive scenario...if you just want to play for play you can do it...

if you have a 144hz monitor without GSYNC (asus vg248qe for example) ...all off...gsync, vsync nvidia and vsync in game...all off