cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT-RH71 Bios stuck in "RAID" mode

Diskotek
Level 7
I'm having trouble with this as I am trying to change the boot hard drive to my Samsung SM951 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VELD92U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I know there has been some talk of this happening with other users and I was wondering if there has been any changes with this?

I can use it as a hard drive but not see it as a boot drive in the BIOS. I haven't attempted to re-install yet as I'm thinking it won't let me due to the BIOS not recognizing it.
12 REPLIES 12

badhand386
Level 9
Diskotek wrote:
I'm having trouble with this as I am trying to change the boot hard drive to my Samsung SM951 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VELD92U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I know there has been some talk of this happening with other users and I was wondering if there has been any changes with this?

I can use it as a hard drive but not see it as a boot drive in the BIOS. I haven't attempted to re-install yet as I'm thinking it won't let me due to the BIOS not recognizing it.

Mine is in raid as well.

Julskey
Level 10
What does this mean? My sata bios setting is also RAID. What RAID mode? Aren't RAID modes supposed to be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 etc?

All the research I have seen is that NVMe runs in RAID Mode? WIKI also shows this? What about your 2.5" hard drive what mode is it working in?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

5438154382[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]

They say non-raid mode and the BIOS recognizes the SSD itself but only in the RAID menu.

I can't really help you, Asus hasn't explained why the G752 are coming with Raid the only option to be used. NVMe is explained here
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I can't really help you, Asus hasn't explained why the G752 are coming with Raid the only option to be used. NVMe is explained here

I'm thinking I should just get the Samsung 950 Pro http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-512GB-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01639694M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451220208&sr... I assume people have had luck with this

golomb13
Level 7
ive installed SM951 NVMe without any problems, had only to load intel raid controller drivers on setup. working really good.

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
My m2 SSD shows up in the bios the exact same way, EXCEPT, it does not say ACHI, it shows as NVMe. Is there anyway to change that?

Also, Golomb13, can you please link me to the exact drivers you used to load on setup? It might be the very thing I am needing, because I am having a major problem installing Windows 10 onto a clean m2 ssd that has absolutely no partitions, and the only thing that can find it is bios.

I wont go into details, because my thread is as recent as this one.

Gps3dx
Level 12
Gps3dx wrote:
wawawawawa wait a minute.....
raid ? WTF ?
why the frak ( yes BSG fan ) you use RAID on a single ssd based machine ? it makes no sense !

Please enter the bios and change the drives control to AHCI instead of RAID !
Also... look at this REVIEW from NoteBookCheck.net

Gps3dx wrote:
A. please read my update in my previous post.
B. please see this old G55VW manual...from page 98-102... specially the "delete raid" part.
I think you can control your raid in the same way... using the special Intel RAID config screen ( Ctrl+I suppose to be for Intel Raid control... if not try Ctrl+M -> that for maverick Raid control)
Now... although I had the G55VW - I NEVER used RAID so I can't guide you there....

My opinion - that should let you disable the raid completely, then you'll be able to change to AHCI in the bios after another reboot.

P.S - Fastboot is a good thing to enable AFTER you got your OS installed and there is no need to use the POST so much anymore ( this option enabled making POST faster )

P.S.S - You can stay with RAID - but during windows installation you need to mount Intel (most probebly ) RAID drivers so the OS can communicate with the ssd !

Gps3dx wrote:
M8... read page 98 :
1. Turn on the system
2. During POST press +....

POST is the state after you turn on the PC and BEFORE OS launches.... it is NOT the bios's screen... but an I/O of the bios operations.
Thus:
a. disable fast boot - cause the G751/2 laptop's POST is really fast
b. try couple of times to enter that special RAID screen during post, by pressing ctrl+I

EDIT: try also the ctrl+I combo with external keyboard... although that does not make sense to me... as USB are POSTing later then any internal component.... may be this will work....
otherwise - i'll tell you to update the BIOS, as it solve other's laptops ctrl+I problem ( other's != asus laptop, but intel RAID controller based )
The only update there for the VT is about cardreader fix and some EC firmware...
The issue is that the bios updater app is windows based.... and flashing this outside of windows in dos-based environment... is a big deal ( you'll need h-i-r-e-n boot disk or other equivalent with dos on a USB ) cuz the tools to flash these bioses from DOS are NOT asus official tools ( you can get them from some specific bios-mod forums )

Can anyone with G752 care to check if during POST you can enter RAID special screen by pressing CTRL+I multiple times ?
Before you try... disabling FAST BOOT in the bios might make POST a bit longer for you to try that.
Why bother ? cuz it might hold the answer/solution for this thread name/issue.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]