cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT clean install - some issues found and questions

Dr4g0n36
Level 10
SOLUTION FOUND, READ ENTIRE POST

HI, i've received a brand new G752VT-T7005T a couple of days ago. During this two days i've found some little issues (dvd writer starts load randomly even if empty, usb ports sometimes refresh during copy and doing a new folder wherever i want shows up only after pressing F5) that convince me to do a fresh install (like every "G" received in the last 6 years);

Assuming that i'm running Windows on a Samsung m.2 SSD 128gb installed onto IRST controller LOCKED into RAID mode, thats what i've found:

Doing a fresh bootable media of Windows 10 update 1155 (UEFI mode) using a USB 3.0 drive (fully working) don't show up in boot selection, using a 2.0 it works.

To recognize the m.2 drive, you have to load onto your usb drive IRST drivers, used in the section of disks research; IRST provided from ASUS website crash (blue screen IRQL), but with THIS the setup will recognize SSD and will work fine.

My questions:

there's a way to modify m.2 mode that's actually locked (grey selection) in RAID mode (i have to load RAID driver to install, no way to set in AHCI)?

if i buy a new Samsung to make a RAID 0, how i can enter into a RAID section to configure it?

searching on the net, all SSD same of mine that are on sell are named "AHCI", there's something wrong if i buy it to make my RAID?

Thanks for replies.

ACTUALLY WITH 205 BIOS THERE'S NO WAY TO SET IN RAID MODE 2 SSD EVEN IF MACHINE IS ONLY IN RAID BOOT MODE (UNIQUE SELECTION POSSIBLE IN BIOS SETUP). RAID PROTOCOL IS ENABLED ONLY FOR THE IRST COMMUNICATION PORT (SSD IS NATIVE RAID/AHCI SO IS NOT A SATA DRIVE).

EDIT: MINI GUIDE FOR A FULL WORKING MACHINE WITH CLEAN INSTALL
Here's a mini guide step by step to have a fully working G752 with a clean install:

• Download from Microsoft website using this tool last ISO of Windows 10 Home x64
  • Burn onto a USB 2.0 (3.0 actually doesn't be recognized from 205 BIOS) drive using rufus (select first the downloaded ISO an then select GPT partitioning)
  • Download from here lastest Intel RAID driver and simply insert unzipped folder onto USB drive
  • OPTIONAL: if you want to install Windows 10 PRO version instead of home, you have to insert into bootable USB, after creating it, this file "ei.cfg" in SOURCE folder (Google for ei.cfg creation)
  • OPTIONAL: remove secondary HDD to avoid issue/unwanted loss of data, you can reload it when you will reach desktop for the first time, after first user shutdown
  • Turn on PC pressing ESC until you see boot list, select your USB drive and go on
  • Windows setup will automatically find your Windows 10 serial from UEFI bios so you will not be prompted for wich Windows version you want to install
  • Arrived in disk selection setup you will see no disk attached. Select "load driver" and use the driver downloaded from previous step, wait for a while and you will se Samsung m.2 drive
  • delete all partitions, hit next and setup will automatically recereate UEFI structure (because SSD already is GPT formatted)
  • Proceed for the rest of installation like normal one (inserting account, wifi, etc.)

Once reached Desktop for first time, my hint is to turn notebook onto airplane mode (FN+F2 doesn't work anymore, you have to install first the app) using the button placed in wifi panel.
Proceed (if you haven't do this step before format) with the download and installation of all package (better if downloaded from a parallel PC so you don't enable Windows to download updates while downloading drivers) from ASUS website except for this three one:

• Nvidia GPU drivers here
  • ASUS Spendid Utility here
  • Realtek audio driver: use ASUS driver
  • ASUS Sonic Suite 2 here

So if you do anything correct you will have to download this list from ASUS support page:
Reboot when prompted and at the end re-enable wifi.

SSD OPTIMIZATION:
Heres a couple of trick to optimize SSD life and speed:

• launch CMD with admin privileges and type "powercfg /h off"
  • under System --> Advanced turn off Paging file by selecting it and disabling automatic mode (reboot)
  • search for "defrag" select manage and disable it
  • in Device manager select SSD properties and thick the selection "disable Buffer unload" (we have battery that can supply power shortage)

LAST HINT:
If you have the "Num Lock" Windows 10 issue (no Num Lock at startup) see here:

• Launch Regedit
  • Navigate to: HKEY_USERS --> .DEFAULT -->Control Panel --> Keyboard
  • Find "InitialKeyboardIndicators" key
  • Add "+2" at the value (if you have 2147483648 type 2147483650)
  • Reboot

SSD PERFORMANCE:
For people that found pathetic write speed recognized with SSD's program benchmark, it's not a driver issue or incompatibilty, if you search for the spec of MZVLV128 Samsung m.2 drive you will find that this drive can read up to 1500 MB/s and write only 150 MB/s . So the only problem found is that ASUS decided to install "crappy" entry level SSD.

EDIT 2: after release of BIOS 213 you can simply select from Chipset page wich mode you want to channel operate (AHCI or RAID) that cannot be selected in previous version. If you want to boot from a 2,5" SSD/HDD now you can select "AHCI" and Windows 10 setup now will be able to recognize SATA drive as boot device. Also we are discussing if is better leave NVMe drives with RAID protocol or re-install / convert to AHCI protocol (discussion con be found HERE )
66 REPLIES 66

Hi folks,

had issues to install windows 10 PROFESSIONAL on the new g752vy. was finally able to solve the issue.

To share the knowledge gained i made an easy to read guide.

It also contains a section of Bluescreens i run across together with the why's and how to solve them.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82406

Thanks to the providers of the following guides, they where very helpful, even if a bit was missing.

Gps3dx and Dr4g0n36

I followed your procedure from A to Z but my nvme M.s SSD is not showing up during setup. Help

Umer Zubair wrote:
I followed your procedure from A to Z but my nvme M.s SSD is not showing up during setup. Help

I also followed the procedure as described but my two NVMe SSD in RAID0 don't show up during the installation process. RAID0 is visible in the bios as well as in the installed Windows already installed on it.

My bios was upgraded to the latest BIOS 303 and I downloaded the latest Windows Creators Edition from Microsoft, created the bootable USB with the latest MS tool and also attempted the latest Rufus, I tried several different versions of the Intel RAID drivers, but the RAID0 drive doesn't show up for a clean Windows installation, the SATA drive however is always available as the suggested target drive.

In order to clean install my "solution" is to install to the SATA drive and then clone it to the RAID0 which is of course not a very efficient approach.

surfer96 wrote:
I also followed the procedure as described but my two NVMe SSD in RAID0 don't show up during the installation process. RAID0 is visible in the bios as well as in the installed Windows already installed on it.

My bios was upgraded to the latest BIOS 303 and I downloaded the latest Windows Creators Edition from Microsoft, created the bootable USB with the latest MS tool and also attempted the latest Rufus, I tried several different versions of the Intel RAID drivers, but the RAID0 drive doesn't show up for a clean Windows installation, the SATA drive however is always available as the suggested target drive.

In order to clean install my "solution" is to install to the SATA drive and then clone it to the RAID0 which is of course not a very efficient approach.

Another workaround I found is to physically disconnect the SATA drive from the PC and then start the installation process from a bootable USB key, after loading the latest Intel RAID drivers the RAID0 NVMe is then finally detected as a target drive for installation.

surfer96 wrote:
Another workaround I found is to physically disconnect the SATA drive from the PC and then start the installation process from a bootable USB key, after loading the latest Intel RAID drivers the RAID0 NVMe is then finally detected as a target drive for installation.

I Always disconnect "D" drive and DVD drive in order to stop Windows setup to add letters by random intelligence. Nice to read that you found a solution. Personally i've found that better IRSt drivers that don't cause BSON is 14.8.14.1063 (it is the related driver for UEFI firmware 14.6.something)

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
I Always disconnect "D" drive and DVD drive in order to stop Windows setup to add letters by random intelligence. Nice to read that you found a solution. Personally i've found that better IRSt drivers that don't cause BSON is 14.8.14.1063 (it is the related driver for UEFI firmware 14.6.something)
Hi there!

I own a ASUS G752VS. Currently with Win10 Pro but was asked to do a total wipe to revert to Home.
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here - I'm mentally drained since I've been trying to fix this for 2 full days. Please be somehow forgiving: I have a deadline, it's Xmas, I don't want to void the warranty, and don't want to lose the third non-SSD drive 😧 which has tons on backup data.

I believe I should be in the right topic, but it's really hard for me to find all info from mobile.

It's been for 2 days that I've been struggling to get a stable Win 10 reset because I had...issues and I was so desperate to let Microsoft remote assistance to "fix" my issue. WORST IDEA EVER.

Now I believe I lost the built-in Asus partitions/restore functionalities and I'm stuck with a Win 10 USB install/recover pen drive, 2 SSDs that once were in raid (not sure about their current state).

I can boot up from the USB UEFI, but I only see the 1GB "Data" partition. Which I cannot and don't want to touch.

Enabling AHCI lets me pick one of the 2 SSDs, but that's not what I want.
I would like both SSDs to be seen as C: from Windows as a single 1TB drive, as it was when I received it.

I read I should be downloading (from mobile) some drivers to use both drives in Raid0. I've read they should be in GPT and not in MBR, but I have no idea on how to check them. I remember I erased and deleted them when in AHCI during one of the Windows install attempts.

The eSupport folder is 7zipped on the 😧 (Data) 1TB non-SSD drive.

I'm close to a mental breakdown because of the terrible downward spiral a simple issue brought me at this point, and already had an anxiety attack. TMI, I know.

I'm not exactly a newbye with technology since I'm an IT engineer/programmer/developer, but when fiddling with BIOS and hardware stuff, I have very little experience.

Yet, thanks to every single update from Windows - and I'm not in the Windows Insider program anymore! - each time I apply such "stable" updates I lose days to fix everything back.

Could someone please be so merciful to help me a bit in this 59 pages thread? Pretty please? 😕

(also: did I lost all those useful hidden partitions on the SSDs? Is there a way to restore them? Without touching the mechanical 😧 drive data?)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes what you need to do is have the RST driver ready to nstall on a USB chip. you will find it in your eSupport folder, So no when you start up your windows install in UEFI and you don't see your SSD I can't read the language but there will be a link that say I have a Driver or install drive. once installed you will see your SSD either as 1 drive in raid 0 or as 2 SSD, you can install to either one of them if they are separate and then run the IRST software in windows to create the RAID 0.
I don't wan to fool around with my BIOS but I would look around the setting where you would have set SATA to RAID there my be a setting to put the 2 SSD into RAID 0 there. If not you can stil do it in windows but you do need to have your BIOS set to RAID, You do need to install the RAID driver at the beginning of Windows install, You do need to install UEFI, and your SSD both need to be GPT.

To insure your SSD are in GPT mode.
Start up your windows install after putting in your language Press the Ctl and F10 that will bring up a command window.
here are the command you'll need to enter
Diskpart
select disk
Clean All
convert GPT

Do this for both SSD and then exit and continue the install by installing the RST driver and then windows.

Someone else my know how to set up your SSD to RAID 0 before the windows install, I don't have any idea if there is not a setting in the BIOS to do it.

As mention earlier I would transfer the eSupport folder to a USB Thumb drive and remove the 1 TB spinner hard drive with your data until you have windows set up and running again.

Download the windows 10 image from MS MCT Allow it to make you a USB install media. Don't waste your time trying to use a DVD to install

Once you have windows installed on either both SSD in RAID 0.
If on one of the SSD then install the windows IRST program again its in your eSupport folder and Raid 0 both SSD it will take some time to complete
Now you can go into disk management and rename your Optical Drive to and end of the alphabet letter I use either L M or N
So now when you put your hard drive 1 TB back in it will keep its letter D:\

Windows install is going to install Window native hardware driver some will work ok some not you'll know if something is giving you a problem go install the driver for that from your eSupport folder should solve the issue.

All this said, I highly recommend that you download and install Macrium Reflect Free and once you have your notebook running properly again create an Disk Image. These disk Images can be restored in about 15 minutes or less and put you right back exactly where you were when you created that Image.
I usually make several Images while reconfiguring a clean install. for sure you want one, once windows is install and your SSD are in RAID 0. That will save you lots of time if something gets screwed up along the way.

Hope I have been clear enough to help you with this
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes what you need to do is have the RST driver ready to nstall on a USB chip. you will find it in your eSupport folder, So no when you start up your windows install in UEFI and you don't see your SSD I can't read the language but there will be a link that say I have a Driver or install drive. once installed you will see your SSD either as 1 drive in raid 0 or as 2 SSD, you can install to either one of them if they are separate and then run the IRST software in windows to create the RAID 0.
I don't wan to fool around with my BIOS but I would look around the setting where you would have set SATA to RAID there my be a setting to put the 2 SSD into RAID 0 there. If not you can stil do it in windows but you do need to have your BIOS set to RAID, You do need to install the RAID driver at the beginning of Windows install, You do need to install UEFI, and your SSD both need to be GPT.

To insure your SSD are in GPT mode.
Start up your windows install after putting in your language Press the Ctl and F10 that will bring up a command window.
here are the command you'll need to enter
Diskpart
select disk
Clean All
convert GPT

Do this for both SSD and then exit and continue the install by installing the RST driver and then windows.

Someone else my know how to set up your SSD to RAID 0 before the windows install, I don't have any idea if there is not a setting in the BIOS to do it.

As mention earlier I would transfer the eSupport folder to a USB Thumb drive and remove the 1 TB spinner hard drive with your data until you have windows set up and running again.

Download the windows 10 image from MS MCT Allow it to make you a USB install media. Don't waste your time trying to use a DVD to install

Once you have windows installed on either both SSD in RAID 0.
If on one of the SSD then install the windows IRST program again its in your eSupport folder and Raid 0 both SSD it will take some time to complete
Now you can go into disk management and rename your Optical Drive to and end of the alphabet letter I use either L M or N
So now when you put your hard drive 1 TB back in it will keep its letter D:\

Windows install is going to install Window native hardware driver some will work ok some not you'll know if something is giving you a problem go install the driver for that from your eSupport folder should solve the issue.

All this said, I highly recommend that you download and install Macrium Reflect Free and once you have your notebook running properly again create an Disk Image. These disk Images can be restored in about 15 minutes or less and put you right back exactly where you were when you created that Image.
I usually make several Images while reconfiguring a clean install. for sure you want one, once windows is install and your SSD are in RAID 0. That will save you lots of time if something gets screwed up along the way.

Hope I have been clear enough to help you with this
Thank you so much!

I'm going to try everything right now.

EDIT: on my system it was SHIFT+F10

Diskpart can't find the SSDs
I can't seem to find the SSD drivers inside the eSupport folder. Do you please remember where are they or where can I find them?

Is the removal of the 1TB Data mechanical drive mandatory? I'd prefer not to void my warranty. (also, I never opened the laptop)

Inviato dal mio SM-G955F utilizzando Tapatalk

NeatWolf wrote:
Hi there!

I own a ASUS G752VS. Currently with Win10 Pro but was asked to do a total wipe to revert to Home.
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here - I'm mentally drained since I've been trying to fix this for 2 full days. Please be somehow forgiving: I have a deadline, it's Xmas, I don't want to void the warranty, and don't want to lose the third non-SSD drive 😧 which has tons on backup data.

I believe I should be in the right topic, but it's really hard for me to find all info from mobile.

It's been for 2 days that I've been struggling to get a stable Win 10 reset because I had...issues and I was so desperate to let Microsoft remote assistance to "fix" my issue. WORST IDEA EVER.

Now I believe I lost the built-in Asus partitions/restore functionalities and I'm stuck with a Win 10 USB install/recover pen drive, 2 SSDs that once were in raid (not sure about their current state).

I can boot up from the USB UEFI, but I only see the 1GB "Data" partition. Which I cannot and don't want to touch.

Enabling AHCI lets me pick one of the 2 SSDs, but that's not what I want.
I would like both SSDs to be seen as C: from Windows as a single 1TB drive, as it was when I received it.

I read I should be downloading (from mobile) some drivers to use both drives in Raid0. I've read they should be in GPT and not in MBR, but I have no idea on how to check them. I remember I erased and deleted them when in AHCI during one of the Windows install attempts.

The eSupport folder is 7zipped on the 😧 (Data) 1TB non-SSD drive.

I'm close to a mental breakdown because of the terrible downward spiral a simple issue brought me at this point, and already had an anxiety attack. TMI, I know.

I'm not exactly a newbye with technology since I'm an IT engineer/programmer/developer, but when fiddling with BIOS and hardware stuff, I have very little experience.

Yet, thanks to every single update from Windows - and I'm not in the Windows Insider program anymore! - each time I apply such "stable" updates I lose days to fix everything back.

Could someone please be so merciful to help me a bit in this 59 pages thread? Pretty please? 😕

(also: did I lost all those useful hidden partitions on the SSDs? Is there a way to restore them? Without touching the mechanical 😧 drive data?)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sorry for late reply but i'm now on MSI and i don't watch frequently ASUS forum, so:

1) if you leave AHCI enabled you will see 2 separated nvme even in Windows setup, because AHCI use intel standard driver, no manual operation needed.
2) if you want to RAID 2 SSD, first enable it in bios, reboot, re enter bios and create the "RAW" container under RTS menù (linking 2 nvme drives); in this situation the notebook will use RTS chip not Intel one, this peripheal isn't included in Windows 10 ISO's so you have to manually search for a driver.

HINT: before starting, download "f6flpy-x64-14.8.0.1042" , this is the most compatible one for G752V (you can see a semi-identical number in RTS section in bios setup) and add it to Windows 10 USB, like this screen:
Then in the disk selection screen you will have to add the correct driver that's in f6flpy folder. After a minute of "freeze" Windows setup will recognize your raid.

I wanted to factory reset my Asus G752VT and F9 doesn't worked so I decided it to make a recovery copy and reset the computer to factory when the computer reched 76% recovery the sistem crashed and the Operative Sistem windows 10 was never able to recover itself, losing the boot manager in bios settings and I was stuck in a boot loop / Blue screen without any possible solution.
I went to different forums in Asus website during weeks, where users said that reinstalling a new operating sistem was the solution however I would lose all the software provided by Asus including the E-Support folder and Sonic Studio Software. Which is a Fake statement.
I will show you step by step how to reinstall your Windows 10 64bits OS and get all the Drivers and Software back to your Asus G752VT.

1. You need a fire stick minimum 16Gb to do a fresh windows install using windows media creation tool

2. From another computer go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And make a bootable Usb windows 10 instructions here: https://youtu.be/SKbR6XT7fcA

3.insert the usb on your Asus G752VT and restart computer and press F2 to get into Bios settings in boot order choose your USB UEFI pressF10 to save and exit or the second option is to put the usb in the laptop, boot and repeatidly press esc. Then you can select the usb stick and reinstall Windows 10

4.install windows in the partition of your SSD that means delete the disk partition and install windows there.
Do not delete the other partitions.

5. Once windows is installed and configured is time to get the Asus G752VT Drivers. You can get them here: https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/HelpDesk_Download/

6. Install all the drivers excluding the Audio Drivers because that driver its outdated and it will cause conflict installing your Sonic Suite
Instead you can download the right Audio driver version 6.0.1.8186 driver R2.82 for Sonic suite V2.413 from the realtek website here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads

7.after installing the driver you can proceed with the installation of Sonic Studio located under Utilities Tab in Usus drivers downloads.

8. Install the G-Force Experience to upgrade your graphic card drivers here: https://www.nvidia.es/geforce/geforce-experience/
After installation, register with your e mail address and verify your account from your email to upgrade drivers.

9.finally you can get the E-Support folder here if you need something else: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0MF2gRd6aF9WHBVTUtTaC1WcVk

Thank you, And good luck!