cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G752VS] Need working Elan PTP Driver/Smart Guesture Windows 8.1

hellowold
Level 8
Hi @all,
i've already read a lot of those posts over here related to Windows 8.1 and / or the touchpad issues for this machine.

I've as well tried a lot of other drivers (smart guesture) from other asus/dell laptops (even from elan tech itself) but none has been working so far.
I don't have the FN+F9 issue -> this is working fine with the Asus ATK ...1057 and Windows system drivers.

But i can't find working touchpad driver for this laptop and Windows 8.1 which offers the gestures/scrolling and stuff like that (normal mouse movement and clicking works with the windows system drivers). The touchpad itself isn't shown as PTP for sure in Windows 8 system settings metro app (it's show as "normal" touchpad)

Most touchpad drivers fails already during install (including the Asus Precission driver for Windows 10 in compat mode) and some installs (even the gesture launcher background service can be seen in taskmanager up and running) but doesn't work at all (e.g. touchpad off when mouse connected and stuff like that which can be configured in the smart gesture app doesn't have any effect at all).

Maybe one of you got a working one for me for G752VS and Windows 8.1.

Device manager shows up :
- HID compatible touchpad
Hardware IDs :
HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1203&Col02
HID\ELAN1203&Col02

- I2C HID device
Hardware IDs :
ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1203
ACPI\ELAN1203
6 REPLIES 6

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Curious.... Why would you want to run Windows 8.1 on an Asus G752VS? It comes with Windows 10.

The Cool Dude wrote:
Curious.... Why would you want to run Windows 8.1 on an Asus G752VS? It comes with Windows 10.

I don't like Windows 10 at all - thought even about Windows 7 but it's a bit more effort to get suitable drivers for and to prepare a custom
installation DVD with injecting stuff into .wim files (USB, NVM stuff ....) and Windows 8 works out of the box with no problems regarding drivers (even
if it's not officially supported) - it runs very well 🙂

Most of time i'm using mouse anyways so it's not really a "must have" to get a working driver/app package (Precission touchpad, Smart gesture or even a "normal" elan touchpad driver with basic features like scrolling) but maybe someone else already has found one - thats why i'm asking for it.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I tried Win 8.1, I couldn't find a touch pad driver that works with it either. There was also other issues that I couldn't resolve but I couldn't remember what.

Eventually I went back to Win10.

You may have to consider this too if you want all your devices to work as intended.. sadly they're not backwards compatible. :f

Darnassus wrote:
I tried Win 8.1, I couldn't find a touch pad driver that works with it either. There was also other issues that I couldn't resolve but I couldn't remember what.

Eventually I went back to Win10.

You may have to consider this too if you want all your devices to work as intended.. sadly they're not backwards compatible. :f

Well i found working drivers for anything and it's really working great with 8.1 - just had been wondering what's that special with this touchpad ^^
Normal stuff with it (like click and tap and movement is working out of the box -> just gestures for scrolling or multi touch are missing without
a suitable driver)
It's not a big deal at all because i mostly prefer using a mouse - just thought that maybe someone solved this issue already 🙂
Asus used Elantech TP for long so i had been wondering that not even a single driver of another asus notepad works with this model

Clintlgm
Level 14
hellowold wrote:
Hi @all,
i've already read a lot of those posts over here related to Windows 8.1 and / or the touchpad issues for this machine.

I've as well tried a lot of other drivers (smart guesture) from other asus/dell laptops (even from elan tech itself) but none has been working so far.
I don't have the FN+F9 issue -> this is working fine with the Asus ATK ...1057 and Windows system drivers.

But i can't find working touchpad driver for this laptop and Windows 8.1 which offers the gestures/scrolling and stuff like that (normal mouse movement and clicking works with the windows system drivers). The touchpad itself isn't shown as PTP for sure in Windows 8 system settings metro app (it's show as "normal" touchpad)

Most touchpad drivers fails already during install (including the Asus Precission driver for Windows 10 in compat mode) and some installs (even the gesture launcher background service can be seen in taskmanager up and running) but doesn't work at all (e.g. touchpad off when mouse connected and stuff like that which can be configured in the smart gesture app doesn't have any effect at all).

Maybe one of you got a working one for me for G752VS and Windows 8.1.

Device manager shows up :
- HID compatible touchpad
Hardware IDs :
HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1203&Col02
HID\ELAN1203&Col02

- I2C HID device
Hardware IDs :
ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1203
ACPI\ELAN1203

I would suggest you save yourself a lot of aggravation and just install Classic Shell. you can set up your GUI anyway you want to and windows 10 is much better OS than any of the previous versions. Yes it takes some tweaking to get things just right.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I would suggest you save yourself a lot of aggravation and just install Classic Shell. you can set up your GUI anyway you want to and windows 10 is much better OS than any of the previous versions. Yes it takes some tweaking to get things just right.

As already said - Windows 10 is no option for now. Wouldn't start a discussion about the startmenu due to the fact that i'm already using classic shell on
Windows 8 🙂
I even would use windows 7 on this device if it's not to much fiddling around with driver injection stuff in wim files and stuff like that.

Guess now it's clear that i'm really not willing to go for Windows 10 ^^
There are too much stuff with it i don't like and really going to prevent as long as possible but yes i agree there are lot of tools to make it
quiet (starting with enterprise edition which is anyways less "phoning home" and bloatware light like cortana and stuff like that -> anyways
disabling >25 services like various telemetry ... with shutup10 a like tools after every update is not really "award winning OS" to me...not talking
about crossing fingers after every update that your system will start/go stable again)

Therefore thanks for the suggestion to switch to windows 10 but gladly it's not neccessary at all 😄

I didn't get "aggravation" in this context at all because Windows 8.1 is running absolutely smooth with all drivers/features of this model
except for the only one where i started this thread for ^^