cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS :: Lowered CPU voltage in BIOS = no more throttling

Dreamonic
Level 12
So I recently decided to get the G752VS-XB78K. After taking it out of the box and finishing Windows Setup, I started benching and monitoring voltages, temps, etc.

To anyone that says 'clean' installs are stupid... obviously aren't enthusiasts and that's fine. I've always made a backup of the original drive that came with the pre-configured setup of Windows from ASUS onto another one or at least copied the eSupport folder out before formatting. Regardless, it is not required but it works just fine. Tired of seeing threads regarding this. Also, the NVMe drive requires the IRST driver loaded when you do a clean install of Windows during the setup in order to see it.

Anyway, back to the testing.

To my amazement, it was indeed reaching nearly 95°C almost instantly and throttling Turbo Boost clocks. The CPU 'static override' voltage was over 1.3v which adaptive makes 1.4v! So.... out comes the fun tools like AFUWIN to dump the BIOS, and AMIBCP to edit the access privileges for the additional menus and sure enough, there is an Overclocking one that's functional. You'll also have to go into the CPU configuration menu and adjust the override there for your cores as well. I'll post some screenshots. Sure enough after making the required changes in those screenshots, the temps drops to 77°C on extreme load and sometimes climbs to 80°C after a while when still at 4Ghz. This Aptio 5 BIOS is going to be so much fun to use compared to the Aptio 4 BIOS in the G751JY I had.

Now, what I would recommend doing is use ThrottleStop to find out how low you can go FIRST, before applying some random lower voltage and not be able to boot after saving it. When running ThrottleStop for the first time, you must default the voltages in its current state there to see any changes YOU make afterwards.

It's also normal for the system to power down after you adjust voltages in the BIOS and then turn back on.

This fix, literally addresses the entire issue regarding CPU throttling from higher temperatures due to the excessive amount of voltage applied under the "Extreme" profile.

I'm currently still testing things out with the machine so later on throughout the week, I'll post more up.

EDIT: Definitely uninstall the ROG Gaming Center and never use it! It affects and adjusts the settings I manually changed in the BIOS for the CPU OC.
34 REPLIES 34

Buggsy
Level 7
You were able to edit the bios to open up the overclocking menu? I wasn't brave enough to try this. My temps seem fine, but I was interested in under volting the CPU to be kind to it, and to leave more thermal room to the 1070. I read a few times on here about the CPU being over volted for some reason, so I wanted to try it out. I looked and didn't see any CPU options in the BIOS, and figured that it was probably part of the OC edition only.

My next thought was to try Intel's XTU. I got around to that today, but it would not install at all. Next is throttle stop, but I'm interested in making it permanent in the BIOS. How easy/safe was it to mod this BIOS? I don't think I've tried in like 15 years, or really needed to for that mater.

Buggsy wrote:
My next thought was to try Intel's XTU. I got around to that today, but it would not install at all. Next is throttle stop, but

There is a new version of XTU out, 6.2.0.17. This solved my install issues. It's kind of a daunting program with so many options, but I now have access to check / change my voltage settings and maybe thermal settings.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Ya, I don't know why they chose to raise it so high. My 4720HQ in my G751JY, I managed to get 4Ghz under 1.1v. I'll be finding out just how low it can go later on for the 6820HK.

The 6700HQ, if you got the non-OC edition, you'll be unlikely to OC that CPU, undervolt, yes. Whether or not it's a microcode patch or additional ME FW OC lib (170Mhz+) edits, so far hasn't been achievable like it was for mobile Haswell CPUs using those methods (minus the BCLK). I know in this G752VS BIOS you can adjust the offset "+" to "-" for the voltage, so I'm sure you could probably undervolt. It's easy to unlock, the problem is if the flash fails or if your system hangs or powers down during flashing, you're gonna need to get an SPI programmer with a SOIC8 test clip to reconstruct your BIOS using the merged 6MB off ASUS site. I've made a guide for that on my forum (red link in signature).

What ASUS did (i think) is allowed for above and beyond voltage for the 'binning' of CPUs and their operating voltages. Wide spectrum of some below and some above to an average. I guess 1300mV seemed fine to them with the adaptive voltage increasing when adjusting the Turbo bins as well. Little did they know that high of a voltage does nothing but cause throttling.

I have a lot of restarts and tests to do before I get anything concrete. I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a way to reduce the load temps significantly while also keeping the CPU locked at 4Ghz (extreme profile fwiw) for all 4-cores.

Simao
Level 7
The temps that you have first, was in "manual overclock" mode, or in extreme mode? Also, can you tell me the temps in standard mode?
Thanks

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
This is a cool hack however I don't think I'm brave enough to hack the BIOS either.

Can't you change this stuff in the gaming center software? Isn't ASUS working on a fix for this throttling issue?

The Cool Dude wrote:
This is a cool hack however I don't think I'm brave enough to hack the BIOS either.

Can't you change this stuff in the gaming center software? Isn't ASUS working on a fix for this throttling issue?

The OP way is better, but if you dont want to tinker with BIOS you can do like I did. Here is my short guide:

"First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem."

So ... do you still have any control about the back lights (LED stips) without the gaming center? And does this affect the sonic software (which is an absolute must, as without it the sound is muffled and flat). But i haven't done a clean install yet, perhaps that will be enough to solve the issue.

I'm going to try ThrottleStop just for fun. I do not have the OC edition, and I'm not throttling. I haven't tried anything like Prime95 to force the issue and see my max temps, but playing games like Arkham Knight doesn't even push the CPU to 70 degrees C. I just don't like that my CPU is unnecessarily over-volted.

miguel pereira wrote:
The OP way is better, but if you dont want to tinker with BIOS you can do like I did. Here is my short guide:

"First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem."

Any of these applies to G752VY ?! Or only VS?

Thanks