cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Crashing Issues (shuts off and restarts automatically)

Hapablap
Level 7
Hey,

I've had my g752vs for a few months now and recently I've been running into a problem with it crashing while playing some games.
I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

Currently I'm playing DOOM and my laptop seems to crash randomly. The computer simply shuts off and restarts automatically. I've been unable to find any logs about the crash in my event viewer.
I've set up some logs for my GPU and CPU and temperatures at the time of crashing looks like this:

Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
82356 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 67.0 69.0 61.0 61.0
82359 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 71.0 67.0 64.0 63.0
82362 76.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 66.0 68.0 64.0 61.0
82365 0.0 36.0 32.0 70.0 69.0 62.0 64.0 60.0

For the last two crashes the GPU temp hits 0 right as it crashed (perhaps indicating that this is the piece that is failing/shutting off to avoid overheating).
Has anyone been experiencing the same?
124,317 Views
217 REPLIES 217

drazac
Level 7
Greetings,

Just to give a feedback on the repair status of my laptop.

Asus support has contacted me and said that my notebook will have priority repair status.

Repair center recieved my notebook on August 8th and it is still in the process of being repaired.

Unlike first time when I sent my laptop to be repaired, time it took to complete the repair process was of no issue.

However, now I am in need to be resolved asap.

Every day I have been checking the repair progress online and for the past 4 working days, it has been stuck at Waiting for feedback from Asus support.

Decided to make a phonecall to a repair center to check what is going on.

Technican responsible for the repair of my notebook said that Asus is telling him what to do: To run 3dmark, pcmark and other benchmarking tools. Sadly, technician didnt know anything about the issue R&D team discovored. So I had to quickly debrief him. He said that he wanted to replace the motherboard, but Asus kept asking to do different benchmarks each day. He didn't know, that my notebook has already gone through one RMA process where the entire motherboard was replaced. Luckily I managed to fill in these details as well.

It seems they, Asus, decided to make my notebook a testing guinee pig.

My understanding was that the issue has already been detected and that the part that needs replacing is prepared and ready in the repair center.

So I am not really pleased of this delay, because I need my notebook asap.

It would have been good if Asus has made some sort of replacement/compensation.

drazac wrote:
Greetings,

Just to give a feedback on the repair status of my laptop.

Asus support has contacted me and said that my notebook will have priority repair status.

Repair center recieved my notebook on August 8th and it is still in the process of being repaired.

Unlike first time when I sent my laptop to be repaired, time it took to complete the repair process was of no issue.

However, now I am in need to be resolved asap.

Every day I have been checking the repair progress online and for the past 4 working days, it has been stuck at Waiting for feedback from Asus support.

Decided to make a phonecall to a repair center to check what is going on.

Technican responsible for the repair of my notebook said that Asus is telling him what to do: To run 3dmark, pcmark and other benchmarking tools. Sadly, technician didnt know anything about the issue R&D team discovored. So I had to quickly debrief him. He said that he wanted to replace the motherboard, but Asus kept asking to do different benchmarks each day. He didn't know, that my notebook has already gone through one RMA process where the entire motherboard was replaced. Luckily I managed to fill in these details as well.

It seems they, Asus, decided to make my notebook a testing guinee pig.

My understanding was that the issue has already been detected and that the part that needs replacing is prepared and ready in the repair center.

So I am not really pleased of this delay, because I need my notebook asap.

It would have been good if Asus has made some sort of replacement/compensation.


I'll follow up on this case for you, seems like others are getting the PCB replaced without problems so not sure why they're telling him to run stress tests and benchmarks.

Hello, I seem to have been having this issue since May (purchased end of April) - but it happened predominately with Blizzards "Heroes of the Storm". It would usually hang audio first, then screen would freeze, flash black, reboot...
At that time I tried changing GPU clock with msi afterburner & had also uninstalled the gaming center. Did not seem to help so I put everything back the way it was.

In the next couple weeks I will be reinstalling w10 and avoiding all the bloatware to see if this issue miraculously goes away.
In the meantime, I just got this issue tonight from running Guild Wars 2 - (now) WHITE screen hang, audio hang, reboot.
I decided to try google again- this time with both model and error from event viewer. Stubbed my toe on this forum! Love the info in it.

I would like to know what info I need to collect to inquire about an RMA for my unit - or any fixes / thoughts admin would have on this.

I have: G752VS-RB71K-CB
Nothing has been changed on it hardware wise now. Never opened up. I am in Canada - purchased from Bestbuy Canada. I do have their warranty as well. I am curious if i should go thru them (obviously could be faster shipping etc)

After reading the majority of this thread I did fish up my login for here and make sure I had this laptop registered - I do not recall seeing the VIP card (do I need this?).
I also discovered there IS an RMA center on the other side of the country (so most likely 3-10 day mail ONE WAY - hoping to avoid this).

Thank you in advance for your time in responding!

gateway4shadow wrote:
Hello, I seem to have been having this issue since May (purchased end of April) - but it happened predominately with Blizzards "Heroes of the Storm". It would usually hang audio first, then screen would freeze, flash black, reboot...
At that time I tried changing GPU clock with msi afterburner & had also uninstalled the gaming center. Did not seem to help so I put everything back the way it was.

In the next couple weeks I will be reinstalling w10 and avoiding all the bloatware to see if this issue miraculously goes away.
In the meantime, I just got this issue tonight from running Guild Wars 2 - (now) WHITE screen hang, audio hang, reboot.
I decided to try google again- this time with both model and error from event viewer. Stubbed my toe on this forum! Love the info in it.

I would like to know what info I need to collect to inquire about an RMA for my unit - or any fixes / thoughts admin would have on this.

I have: G752VS-RB71K-CB
Nothing has been changed on it hardware wise now. Never opened up. I am in Canada - purchased from Bestbuy Canada. I do have their warranty as well. I am curious if i should go thru them (obviously could be faster shipping etc)

After reading the majority of this thread I did fish up my login for here and make sure I had this laptop registered - I do not recall seeing the VIP card (do I need this?).
I also discovered there IS an RMA center on the other side of the country (so most likely 3-10 day mail ONE WAY - hoping to avoid this).

Thank you in advance for your time in responding!


Please try contacting customer service to setup RMA, if you have any issues with them then please send me a PM with the following info:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:
Product S/N:

Thanks.

Hello.
Just leave my observations here. (sorry for my broken english)

I noticed that if I install older drivers for VGA there is no failure and a critical reboot (like Kernel-Power 41).
In this case i see error 'Display driver stopped responding and was recovered.'
I tested on 378.78 and 369.56 (from Asus page).

But when i install last 385.28 i catch this crash again (freezing screen, reboot, if OS is allowed to reboot on critical).
Crash happens non-periodically, i may playing for some time and no issues (i checked many times on same place of game)
or i may catch it on 1-3 minutes.
GPU-Z log shows me different voltages.
I think it's unstable on GPU Core Clock 1860 MHz and GPU VDDC 1.062V.
When crash happens - MSI Afterburner shows 'boost' 1860 MHz and last GPU-Z log writing is 1860 MHz on 1.062V.
When no crash - MSI Afterburner shows only 1835 MHz on 'boost', but GPU-Z log registers 1860 MHz on 1.05V or 1.062V.
All tests was made in same location (savegame).
I can not yet say why in the same game on the same place the video card works in different ways (I will be happy with the instructions)

This behavior is very strange and does not allow us to say 'this is broken'.
It can be called unstable.
Maybe there is another way or test?
Any comments please.

PS: some crying words
I like to play computer games (everlasting memory to ZX Spectrum 48) and all my previous laptops did not allow to play some games, even at medium settings.
I always had to adjust and reconfigure something.
And now the happy time has come! I have an almost top-end laptop and I can play almost any game without thinking about the settings!
But NO! I again have to read tons of forums and think about how to be.
I thought that cost of this laptop I can afford to just play.
Very sadly.

Hello again! After leaving my previous reply (a couple above) I decided on a whim to check once more (had not since June) about updates for any drivers on Asus website.
I found bios 310! I was previously using bios v306.
I flashed with the tool provided and could then run games without the random restarts. I am going to stress it further tonight to confirm. But I do believe this could have fixed the issue? Bios 310 appears to have been released to us on Asus drivers /software pages beginning of August!
I am hoping this helps anybody else who has yet to rma!
I will update in the coming week to confirm if this has fixed it on my part.
Ty all 🙂

gateway4shadow wrote:
Hello again! After leaving my previous reply (a couple above) I decided on a whim to check once more (had not since June) about updates for any drivers on Asus website.
I found bios 310! I was previously using bios v306.
I flashed with the tool provided and could then run games without the random restarts. I am going to stress it further tonight to confirm. But I do believe this could have fixed the issue? Bios 310 appears to have been released to us on Asus drivers /software pages beginning of August!
I am hoping this helps anybody else who has yet to rma!
I will update in the coming week to confirm if this has fixed it on my part.
Ty all 🙂


I never received any updates that BIOS 310 would fix this issue. It would be great if you can share your results after your testing. Thanks.

Bahz wrote:
I never received any updates that BIOS 310 would fix this issue. It would be great if you can share your results after your testing. Thanks.


As an update bios 310 seemed to make it stable for myself on heroes on the storm but gw2 still will force this restart issue with the GPU after a longer run time (instead of 30 min it's around 2 hrs).
I just wanted to update you and I will be taking your previous advice on doing an rma. I was waiting for bestbuy geeksquad to give the green light as I do have their extended warranty. If I have any issues with Asus rma I will message you. Ty for your patience

gateway4shadow wrote:
Hello again! After leaving my previous reply (a couple above) I decided on a whim to check once more (had not since June) about updates for any drivers on Asus website.
I found bios 310! I was previously using bios v306.
I flashed with the tool provided and could then run games without the random restarts. I am going to stress it further tonight to confirm. But I do believe this could have fixed the issue? Bios 310 appears to have been released to us on Asus drivers /software pages beginning of August!
I am hoping this helps anybody else who has yet to rma!
I will update in the coming week to confirm if this has fixed it on my part.
Ty all 🙂


hello.
All my checks (my previous post) was made after i updated BIOS 310 and installed clean OS.
There is no fix.
Also i wrote a message about problem to my Asus service center 07/25/2017. They answer: "In the error, the Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Drive and Intel® Rapid Start Technology Driver failed. They need to be reinstalled. And also update the BIOS, reinstall the ATK and VGA drivers and then put the Turbo Gear Updater".
Before i got that info i installed clean OS, all drivers, but Nvidia driver i installed 378.78. As it seemed to me there was no crashes and i wrote to Asus about it. It looked like their advice is right. But it happens again and continue since 08/20/2017. I guess it starts after i update VGA driver to last. Then i again installed clean OS and drivers, VGA 378.78 (also last Nvidia or VGA from Asus page) and tested. Nothing good, results in my previous post.

I originally created this thread and with Bahz' help, I've started the RMA process. I'll update this thread once I receive my laptop back.