cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Crashing Issues (shuts off and restarts automatically)

Hapablap
Level 7
Hey,

I've had my g752vs for a few months now and recently I've been running into a problem with it crashing while playing some games.
I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

Currently I'm playing DOOM and my laptop seems to crash randomly. The computer simply shuts off and restarts automatically. I've been unable to find any logs about the crash in my event viewer.
I've set up some logs for my GPU and CPU and temperatures at the time of crashing looks like this:

Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
82356 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 67.0 69.0 61.0 61.0
82359 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 71.0 67.0 64.0 63.0
82362 76.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 66.0 68.0 64.0 61.0
82365 0.0 36.0 32.0 70.0 69.0 62.0 64.0 60.0

For the last two crashes the GPU temp hits 0 right as it crashed (perhaps indicating that this is the piece that is failing/shutting off to avoid overheating).
Has anyone been experiencing the same?
217 REPLIES 217

09noel09
Level 7
before i have this problem too randomly freezing then restarting while playing games then i remove the sonic suite and rog gaming center that fix my problem.

Spankmaster
Level 7
Did you guys try to lock the GPU at some below 1700MHz with Afterbruner? Since I posted my solution never had any kind of crashes.
Quite sure that it is the voltage - frequency change of the NVidia Boost Pascal like explained above.

I'm having this same issue, even recorded the crash twice. Right now the computer is in service, I hope they'll know what to do... I also linked this thread to them.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=2&o=U&video_id=c_Rqs36GK18

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=2&video_id=VX0RAF3gigo

I tried several approaches listed here to no avail. Uninstalled gaming centre, checked that clocks are all fine, still crashing.

Captgeech21
Level 7
Update to all still experiencing:

It appears the problem, now several years old has had more coverage and exploration on many other avenues besides ROG and MSI which is where I was initially seeing most of the info. Guru 3d has an article, and I am linking a good article below that explains the issue. It appears the singular problem for the Micron memory 1070 cards inside these ROG laptops crashing, is the voltage regulation between the Micron memory, GPU clock and memory etc. The card, when idling below .8 v (can see it in GPU-Z), with Micron memory, cannot gain the voltage fast enough (getting above .8 v) and that is what causes the crashes/artifacting we see when gaming. Apparently if you can lock the voltage above .8 or possibly .811, the crashing never has a chance to happen. There are a lot of threads showing different manufactuers with vbios updates to fix the issue. The problem I am having is that anything "asus" isn't as easily accessible (even for stand-alone cards which also have the issue). Gigabyte, PNY, etc all have their own bios updates. Asus however, whenever I find someone with a link to the bios update, the link is dead. I am searching now to try to find a way to update the vbios versus flashing a different card's vbios and hoping it works. Otherwise, I will be looking at locking the voltage above .8

Captgeech21
Level 7
FYI for anyone having this issue:

I have finally found a work around (permanent). It is not a fix for the Micron memory itself, however, the ASUS Tweak program forces my card to stay above .825 voltage and I have not had a single crash in weeks with that program running. I installed the app, and using the GPU-z sensor monitoring, with the Tweak app's "Always 3D Clock" option selected, everything has been golden. I am so, so relieved! If anyone needs help, just reply here, and i'll check back periodically (PM will work too). Good luck all!

Captgeech21 wrote:
FYI for anyone having this issue:

I have finally found a work around (permanent). It is not a fix for the Micron memory itself, however, the ASUS Tweak program forces my card to stay above .825 voltage and I have not had a single crash in weeks with that program running. I installed the app, and using the GPU-z sensor monitoring, with the Tweak app's "Always 3D Clock" option selected, everything has been golden. I am so, so relieved! If anyone needs help, just reply here, and i'll check back periodically (PM will work too). Good luck all!

I've been lurking the threads since Jan. 2018 after purchasing my ASUS ROG G752 VS during the boxing sale 2017. My issue is the same but I also had overheating (throttling) problem. I solved the overheating after building my confidence and courage to disassemble my laptop since the CPU & GPU are sitting on the back of the motherboard. I then removed the crappy factory bubble gum that ASUS used on this $2500 rig and applied a new carbon based non conductive thermal paste. Now that my heating issue was resolved I kept getting random reboots & the same exact symptoms! Random freezes, hanging screen (white, sometimes red) and system reboots while temperature is still around 55-60 'c for CPU & GPU. I gave up on my laptop for a while and used it mainly for work. I started gaming on my PS4 but recently I came back to my laptop and tried to game but I couldn't play heavy GPU intensive games because the problem persisted. Now I knew it was a GPU and I tried to de-clock the core and memory but it didn't matter. I ran low settings on AAA games but it only bought me extra time. Basically nothing worked until I read this gentleman's post. Please give him cookies & hugs (he deserved it). I never thought of checking the GPU voltage fluctuation until you mentioned it. I checked and modified : CPU voltage (back when I had heat issues), CPU core, GPU core, GPU memory freq, etc... but it never occurred to me that the GPU is messed up by design. As a previous gentlemen also mention it seems the Pascal Boost technology is messed up by Boosting GPU in a matter of milli seconds going at a ridiculous core freq yet voltage is still the same (low) and this is where the GPU cannot cope and runs out of juice thus crashing and restarting the whole system. I salute you Captgeech21 for discovering a very quick , user and noob friendly solution that does not require knowledge of Throttlestop, MSI after burner, GPU-z ,etc... A simple click of button "Always 3D clock" which will force the GPU to always run at 1645 Mhz and always use 0.85 V as compared to the default 0.5-0.6 V when idling. After doing that my GPU ran perfectly. I re-bumped my settings back to HIGH (some games Ultra high). I will add couple of screenshots so people can find this button because at first I didn't see it. Maybe some of you will have heat issues and for that I highly recommend a new thermal paste because the factory paste is very bad.

Sugarglue

sugarglue wrote:
I've been lurking the threads since Jan. 2018 after purchasing my ASUS ROG G752 VS during the boxing sale 2017. My issue is the same but I also had overheating (throttling) problem. I solved the overheating after building my confidence and courage to disassemble my laptop since the CPU & GPU are sitting on the back of the motherboard. I then removed the crappy factory bubble gum that ASUS used on this $2500 rig and applied a new carbon based non conductive thermal paste. Now that my heating issue was resolved I kept getting random reboots & the same exact symptoms! Random freezes, hanging screen (white, sometimes red) and system reboots while temperature is still around 55-60 'c for CPU & GPU. I gave up on my laptop for a while and used it mainly for work. I started gaming on my PS4 but recently I came back to my laptop and tried to game but I couldn't play heavy GPU intensive games because the problem persisted. Now I knew it was a GPU and I tried to de-clock the core and memory but it didn't matter. I ran low settings on AAA games but it only bought me extra time. Basically nothing worked until I read this gentleman's post. Please give him cookies & hugs (he deserved it). I never thought of checking the GPU voltage fluctuation until you mentioned it. I checked and modified : CPU voltage (back when I had heat issues), CPU core, GPU core, GPU memory freq, etc... but it never occurred to me that the GPU is messed up by design. As a previous gentlemen also mention it seems the Pascal Boost technology is messed up by Boosting GPU in a matter of milli seconds going at a ridiculous core freq yet voltage is still the same (low) and this is where the GPU cannot cope and runs out of juice thus crashing and restarting the whole system. I salute you Captgeech21 for discovering a very quick , user and noob friendly solution that does not require knowledge of Throttlestop, MSI after burner, GPU-z ,etc... A simple click of button "Always 3D clock" which will force the GPU to always run at 1645 Mhz and always use 0.85 V as compared to the default 0.5-0.6 V when idling. After doing that my GPU ran perfectly. I re-bumped my settings back to HIGH (some games Ultra high). I will add couple of screenshots so people can find this button because at first I didn't see it. Maybe some of you will have heat issues and for that I highly recommend a new thermal paste because the factory paste is very bad.

Sugarglue

That was such a great idea to add a SS of the manager so that the button can be easily seen by all. I was so worn out after literally 3+ years of trying to deal with it I was just so short in my explanation haha. I am so glad it helped you and hope it helps some more, because the support from Nvidia, ASUS, Samsung/Micron memory dept was very lacking. I do truly believe there are ways to replace Vbios with diff. versions even perhaps for other card modules as mentioned in many of the other posts within this thread. Many, many people tried to help me and each other with these issues along the way. Ultimately, I can say the "hotfix" we are now using is just too easy to even bother anymore with it. I just get to game and not have my laptop randomly crash.

Some things of note: Any time you update NVidia or really, probaby any graphic card changes, the button for "Always 3d Clock" becomes disabled by default for some reason. I have forgotten to check and gone into a game (it really doesn't matter what game, just certain things set it off) and then boom, a crash, and I shake my head knowing I forgot to go back in and click the button on again lol. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, and it does stay set otherwise.

Thanks for the kudos man. So happy it helps!

Ok i know this is an old thread and a very old machine. I still have the G752 VS and i use it for Vjing and NDI streaming. So it still has some value. Up till about 5 months ago the Laptop was working as New. But i was bored one evening and decided to just update all drivers and Bios just for the hell of it.

A couple of weeks passed and i noticed i was getting Blue screens and System freezes at random times. Thinking it was a windows update issue i rolled back the latest service packs. Still No joy. Did a complete reinstall, still no dice. Multiple drivers and video driver updates and roll backs still nothing.

Convinced it was some sort of hardware failure i left the machine to gather dust....

Couple of months later i needed a second machine again for a a second video server. So i had a bit of a rush to try and fix the thing. As a öast resort i decided to try and downgrade the Bios using winflash. Seems you cannot downgrade to an older bios. Futher reading i found that if you launch Winflash from CMD you can disable the version check:

Winflash /Nodate

This loads winflash and allows you do install an older version.

After the bios downgrade all seems to be good. Just though someone might find this useful if they still have use for their old G752 VS