cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Crashing Issues (shuts off and restarts automatically)

Hapablap
Level 7
Hey,

I've had my g752vs for a few months now and recently I've been running into a problem with it crashing while playing some games.
I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

Currently I'm playing DOOM and my laptop seems to crash randomly. The computer simply shuts off and restarts automatically. I've been unable to find any logs about the crash in my event viewer.
I've set up some logs for my GPU and CPU and temperatures at the time of crashing looks like this:

Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
82356 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 67.0 69.0 61.0 61.0
82359 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 71.0 67.0 64.0 63.0
82362 76.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 66.0 68.0 64.0 61.0
82365 0.0 36.0 32.0 70.0 69.0 62.0 64.0 60.0

For the last two crashes the GPU temp hits 0 right as it crashed (perhaps indicating that this is the piece that is failing/shutting off to avoid overheating).
Has anyone been experiencing the same?
473 Views
217 REPLIES 217

Greetings everyone, just to give my own 2 cents.

I own G752VS-GC054T.

Model was bought sometime at the middle of May from UK IT store. So it is basically new.

Month and half ago, I started to notice problems when playing video games. Game will either crash/freeze, or, the entire system will freeze for 2 seconds while sound is distorted and the system will restart itself. Problem was occurring on all games that I have been playing.

At that time I was still running ASUS Gaming center. So, I decided to completely unistall it, then go to BIOS and load system defaults, only to find out that all advanced options are missing. So after further reading on how to unlock full bios, I went ahead and "reinstalled" unlocked bios, and then I loaded the optimized defaults. Just to be safe I also reinstalled Windows and all my apps and games.

Unfortunatelly, crashing, freezing still occurred afterwards.

I thought the reason was in nVidia drivers, until Windows BSOD occurred while system was in idle mode.

I was overclocker back in the day, so I decided to run 25 hours Small FFT Prime95 CPU stability test. Fatal Error occured on two threads, first one after 7 minutes, next one after 13 hours.

Unit was sent to repair center with my detailed explanation, and a week ago, it came back. Technician replaced the "system board". I presume he meant motherboard. Since G752VS has CPU and GPU soldered on the motherboard, it should have solved the problem. Unfotunatelly, that wasn't the case.

The exact same crashing/freezing occurs while playing games. Sometimes it will crash after 1 hour of play, sometimes between 2-3 hours. I also own G751JT and have tested the games on this system as well. No crashing what so ever.

So, after initial frustration, decided to run another Small FFT Prime95 test. System rebooted itself after 10 hours with Event Log reporting a critical error.

Just in case to rule out memory issues (usually, system will reboot itself if memory is faulty. Freezing and restarting is usually reserved for faulty CPU) i ran 25 hours Memtest. All was OK, no errors.

What are the ods of having system instability with two new motherboards (with new GPU and new CPU)? Almost non-existant.

So, what is causing the issue ?

The only major thing that I have noticed, original motherboard had BIOS version 303 (I think) but shortly afterwards it was updated to latest version 306 via ASUS Live update (I think). I remembered because battery and lid LED stopped working after the update. Wasn't too concered about it, because everything else seemed stable at that time.

New motherboard has the exact same bios version, 306. So, "old" motherboard with bios version 306 unstable. New motherboard with bios version 306, also unstable.

If I am not mistaken, bios update 304 and above modified some voltages that were too high for CPU and perhaps other system parts. I am not 100% sure, but I think something went bad there for some of us, where BIOS update 304 and above made some G752 models unstable.

I am gonna try one more attempt to downgrade bios version to 303 and run 24 hour SmallFFT CPU test.

If that doesn't fix the problem, obviously I'll be very dissapointed, but I will be returning the unit.

Any additional tips and suggestions are welcome.

drazac wrote:
Greetings everyone, just to give my own 2 cents.

I own G752VS-GC054T.

Model was bought sometime at the middle of May from UK IT store. So it is basically new.

Month and half ago, I started to notice problems when playing video games. Game will either crash/freeze, or, the entire system will freeze for 2 seconds while sound is distorted and the system will restart itself. Problem was occurring on all games that I have been playing.

At that time I was still running ASUS Gaming center. So, I decided to completely unistall it, then go to BIOS and load system defaults, only to find out that all advanced options are missing. So after further reading on how to unlock full bios, I went ahead and "reinstalled" unlocked bios, and then I loaded the optimized defaults. Just to be safe I also reinstalled Windows and all my apps and games.

Unfortunatelly, crashing, freezing still occurred afterwards.

I thought the reason was in nVidia drivers, until Windows BSOD occurred while system was in idle mode.

I was overclocker back in the day, so I decided to run 25 hours Small FFT Prime95 CPU stability test. Fatal Error occured on two threads, first one after 7 minutes, next one after 13 hours.

Unit was sent to repair center with my detailed explanation, and a week ago, it came back. Technician replaced the "system board". I presume he meant motherboard. Since G752VS has CPU and GPU soldered on the motherboard, it should have solved the problem. Unfotunatelly, that wasn't the case.

The exact same crashing/freezing occurs while playing games. Sometimes it will crash after 1 hour of play, sometimes between 2-3 hours. I also own G751JT and have tested the games on this system as well. No crashing what so ever.

So, after initial frustration, decided to run another Small FFT Prime95 test. System rebooted itself after 10 hours with Event Log reporting a critical error.

Just in case to rule out memory issues (usually, system will reboot itself if memory is faulty. Freezing and restarting is usually reserved for faulty CPU) i ran 25 hours Memtest. All was OK, no errors.

What are the ods of having system instability with two new motherboards (with new GPU and new CPU)? Almost non-existant.

So, what is causing the issue ?

The only major thing that I have noticed, original motherboard had BIOS version 303 (I think) but shortly afterwards it was updated to latest version 306 via ASUS Live update (I think). I remembered because battery and lid LED stopped working after the update. Wasn't too concered about it, because everything else seemed stable at that time.

New motherboard has the exact same bios version, 306. So, "old" motherboard with bios version 306 unstable. New motherboard with bios version 306, also unstable.

If I am not mistaken, bios update 304 and above modified some voltages that were too high for CPU and perhaps other system parts. I am not 100% sure, but I think something went bad there for some of us, where BIOS update 304 and above made some G752 models unstable.

I am gonna try one more attempt to downgrade bios version to 303 and run 24 hour SmallFFT CPU test.

If that doesn't fix the problem, obviously I'll be very dissapointed, but I will be returning the unit.

Any additional tips and suggestions are welcome.

Im anxious to hear your results after the BIOS downgrade.

Same. Really hope that is the issue.
Asus tech support useless. They want me to reinstall windows 10.

Toffiewolf wrote:
Same. Really hope that is the issue.
Asus tech support useless. They want me to reinstall windows 10.


Yeah that doesn't fix it. :rolleyes:

Toffiewolf wrote:
Same. Really hope that is the issue.
Asus tech support useless. They want me to reinstall windows 10.


Sounds like they want to buy some time.

ASUS what is the status on this issue? Are you able to reproduce it? Is there any ETA on a fix?

Please advise.

MusicalDucky wrote:
Sounds like they want to buy some time.

ASUS what is the status on this issue? Are you able to reproduce it? Is there any ETA on a fix?

Please advise.


No fix yet mate, we stuck with useless machines, gaming laptop and unable to game on it 😄

MusicalDucky wrote:
Sounds like they want to buy some time.

ASUS what is the status on this issue? Are you able to reproduce it? Is there any ETA on a fix?

Please advise.


i'll give benefit of the doubt.
Reinstalling windows 10 takes at most, like what? i'll give you 1 full day. (i can do it in 3 hours tops with a decent internet, fully updated, as close to clean as possible).

and you eliminate the source of problem(s) from bad drivers, viruses, malwares... for an effort which takes 3 hours, and eliminating these wildcards, so a proper support can take place?

it's worth it. just do it.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
i'll give benefit of the doubt.
Reinstalling windows 10 takes at most, like what? i'll give you 1 full day. (i can do it in 3 hours tops with a decent internet, fully updated, as close to clean as possible).

and you eliminate the source of problem(s) from bad drivers, viruses, malwares... for an effort which takes 3 hours, and eliminating these wildcards, so a proper support can take place?

it's worth it. just do it.


I am afraid not. It has been two months. Maybe if they suggested it on day 5. At this point we should expect a little more.

It is already painful sitting with a premium device and not being able to use it. Getting Windows back after 3 hours is great but Windows is not the only thing that has to restored so we are looking at more than a trivial effort here.

Furthermore this seems to be happening to new devices which should have pretty fresh installs.

I don't think I am willing to accept this solution at this point.

Well you know it may not be a solution, its only something you can try that may or may not fix your notebook, we have been having issues with windows installing there native drivers with each major upgrade, sometimes they cause conflicts with results that you are experiencing. I myself have experience this with a few BSOD, While I haven't had to reinstall, I have gone in and removed drivers and reinstalled Asus approved drivers from there website Asus Support Downloads Its not just our notebooks. I've also had to uninstall a windows update and block them from reinstalling until the next upgrade. I keep all driver updates from running in windows updates. So you can do the same or simple do a clean install and clean install of Asus hardware drivers it may fix you or not. You will eliminate the issue of it being software or driver issue. which leave you and Asus with the probability that you have a hardware issue.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well maybe not useless, maybe you could use MR or some other image software and create a full image of your SSD, then go ahead with a clean install and see if that does fix it. If It does pay attention to how your notebook responds to hardware driver installation and software installation.

If it doesn't fix the issue restore your SSD with the Image you created and you haven't lost anything but some of your time.

Use MCT tool to create and Install USB, be sure to boot to the USB UEFI, if your not positive you know how to do this follow Gps3dx sticky thread
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro