cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Crashing Issues (shuts off and restarts automatically)

Hapablap
Level 7
Hey,

I've had my g752vs for a few months now and recently I've been running into a problem with it crashing while playing some games.
I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

Currently I'm playing DOOM and my laptop seems to crash randomly. The computer simply shuts off and restarts automatically. I've been unable to find any logs about the crash in my event viewer.
I've set up some logs for my GPU and CPU and temperatures at the time of crashing looks like this:

Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
82356 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 67.0 69.0 61.0 61.0
82359 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 71.0 67.0 64.0 63.0
82362 76.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 66.0 68.0 64.0 61.0
82365 0.0 36.0 32.0 70.0 69.0 62.0 64.0 60.0

For the last two crashes the GPU temp hits 0 right as it crashed (perhaps indicating that this is the piece that is failing/shutting off to avoid overheating).
Has anyone been experiencing the same?
217 REPLIES 217

I have the same problem! But i play dota and wot.

Hey,

I've been playing around with MSI Afterburner and have been able to reduce the crashes but they are still occurring.
Here's an image of the settings: (-50MHz from Core Clock and -200MHz from Memory Clock)

Should I try underclocking it more? Or at this point should I just be reaching out to ASUS for an RMA

Meeliskt wrote:
I had mine factory OC-d core +50 and memory +150 Mhz. I moved sliders to 0(or you can print number in, if you press the number first) Then press apply and save profile if you want it to load in windows start.

The ROG Gaming center is the reason for the 50/150 overclock. That is how it is when the Turbo Gear is set to Extreme. If you set it to standard and refresh Afterburner it goes to 0/0.

As someone previously mentioned, ROG Gaming Center defaults to the Extreme Gear which is OCed upon boot. Is that just a setting in ROG Gaming Center only? If I uninstall ROG Gaming Center will the laptop boot with no OC?

workshop777 wrote:
The ROG Gaming center is the reason for the 50/150 overclock. That is how it is when the Turbo Gear is set to Extreme. If you set it to standard and refresh Afterburner it goes to 0/0.

As someone previously mentioned, ROG Gaming Center defaults to the Extreme Gear which is OCed upon boot. Is that just a setting in ROG Gaming Center only? If I uninstall ROG Gaming Center will the laptop boot with no OC?

So i used GPU-z to confirm clocks are default at boot time.
I played over-watch for like an hour at default clocked with the ROG uninstalled. Didn't crash. Doesn't mean it is solved, but defiantly looking positive.
Just for fun i boosted the GPU clock in msi after burner by 100mhz. Put overwatch @ 200% render scale (4k) and my gpu usage was 100% @ 80deg
No crashes or artefacts.

i'm thinking the ROG o/c was messing with voltages / mem clocks that are super unstable. and it sucks that it comes preinstalled and o/c'd. On top of that... the app is garbage.

but i'll update later on how it goes.

pikamus2 wrote:
So i used GPU-z to confirm clocks are default at boot time.
I played over-watch for like an hour at default clocked with the ROG uninstalled. Didn't crash. Doesn't mean it is solved, but defiantly looking positive.
Just for fun i boosted the GPU clock in msi after burner by 100mhz. Put overwatch @ 200% render scale (4k) and my gpu usage was 100% @ 80deg
No crashes or artefacts.

i'm thinking the ROG o/c was messing with voltages / mem clocks that are super unstable. and it sucks that it comes preinstalled and o/c'd. On top of that... the app is garbage.

but i'll update later on how it goes.

I just uninstalled the ROG gaming center. Played Elite Dangerous for about 1.5 hours without problems. Not a definite fix because I was able to do that before sometimes without a crash, sometimes with one early on. I dont have much trouble in Overwatch. The problem occurred in there when opening Loot Boxes on occasion but I have not had the problem in Overwatch since I did a restore a few weeks back. Earlier today (before uninstalling ROG Gaming Center) I had the crash playing Cities Skylines. I have also previously had the crash in GTA V, MGS V, Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

So, yeah, uninstalled the ROG Gaming Center and I'm gonna see how it goes without it. Seems like there is so many better OC software options out there instead of that. I will probably post back tomorrow evening with some results.

second night without that rog app....
been solid!
overwatch hasn't crashed... been playing other games that would crash too... they haven't.
also some benchmarks.. for fun.

also the laptop runs quieter....
and i turned on GSYNC

pikamus2 wrote:
second night without that rog app....
been solid!
overwatch hasn't crashed... been playing other games that would crash too... they haven't.
also some benchmarks.. for fun.

also the laptop runs quieter....
and i turned on GSYNC

Very Interesting. There are multiple G752vs models out there with different hardware. I wonder if ROG Gaming Center is working for some and not the others because of the different hardware.

Also interesting the no one has tried this before (including myself) since I have been dealing with this problem since May. In my defense, all my googling on the problem was in related to the event ID 41 error that occurs after the crash and the google results were not specific to just Asus ROG models. It wasnt until yesterday that I thought to include the model number in my search, which lead me here.

I still should have suspected it though as a lot of people mentioned voltage levels and overclocking and the BIOS on this model does not have any options for changing anything like that in there...

Bahz
Level 12
I have already passed this issue over to our notebook team and they will look into this. I'll update everyone again in this thread once I hear back from them.

Bahz wrote:
I have already passed this issue over to our notebook team and they will look into this. I'll update everyone again in this thread once I hear back from them.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Bahz
Level 12
I do think if you haven't RMA'd this notebook yet, it would be best to do so as it sounds more like a hardware issue where the drivers aren't working properly. If the repaired/replaced unit still has same issues then please post here again to let us know.