cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VM - review - 6 months - pros and cons

m3ntaL
Level 7
First to mention, I was aiming for some thinner clevo with 1070...

G752VM
Specs:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz, 6 MB cache
16384MB 2133MHz
256GB PCIEX G3X4 + 1000GB SATA 7.2krpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6144MB GDDR5
4.06 kg

Pros:
+nice screen
+nice kbd
+really fast
+nice wifi
+win10 + backpack (my deal)

Cons:
-heavy (see my deal)
-hot (no throttle, but kinda boiling temps I dont like(95C CPU and 80C GPU, in hot environment). chassis is capable, but the default fan profile/voltages sucks)
-bloatware (gaming center, etc.)

Issues:
-Hot (I need to use hwmonitor+throttlestop+nbfc when gaming)
-My GPU Fan stopped for few days. I've blow some air in the vent's grid and it started again with some sound of debris bouncing around.

Aftermath:
I'm really happy with the machine. Design is kinda teen, but it's not bad at all. Remark to ASUS: let us repaste. go more opensource / franchise.

Best wishes,
mEntaL
14 REPLIES 14

serBOOM01
Level 7
Hi, i want to buy one in one weej, everybody say is a very good laptop and handles heat very well, I think it might be the hot enviroment the influential factor there for you.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Armesis
Level 10
The screens and keyboards tend to fail alot on ROG laptops, as you can see here in the forums, not to mention alot of light bleed (Amazon reviews as well). Prepare to RMA it when its still new. There is the constant popping sound from the speakers and there is no official fix, but ive gotten used to it and dont notice it anymore. Alot of the bloatware also tends to make the gaming worse (ROG Gamefirst especially), but overall for the competitive price these ROG laptops are pretty good. Ive compared prices to MSI in the past and present and still ROG laptops are way better in terms of value for money.

If you can afford it though, i strongly suggest you get an MSI or something else instead. Since building pc's and owning several laptops since the 90s, my G752VY is the most unreliable machine ive ever owned, this laptop made me go to a computer service center for the first time in my life lol.

Armesis wrote:
The screens and keyboards tend to fail alot on ROG laptops, as you can see here in the forums, not to mention alot of light bleed (Amazon reviews as well). Prepare to RMA it when its still new. There is the constant popping sound from the speakers and there is no official fix, but ive gotten used to it and dont notice it anymore. Alot of the bloatware also tends to make the gaming worse (ROG Gamefirst especially), but overall for the competitive price these ROG laptops are pretty good. Ive compared prices to MSI in the past and present and still ROG laptops are way better in terms of value for money.

If you can afford it though, i strongly suggest you get an MSI or something else instead. Since building pc's and owning several laptops since the 90s, my G752VY is the most unreliable machine ive ever owned, this laptop made me go to a computer service center for the first time in my life lol.

What is RMA? Now I'm fcked, every reviewer said it's the best for a 1060, heating is alright.. I don't get it, never had a notebook before so after some researches Asus Rog seemed the best...I'm confused now..

serBOOM01 wrote:
What is RMA? Now I'm fcked, every reviewer said it's the best for a 1060, heating is alright.. I don't get it, never had a notebook before so after some researches Asus Rog seemed the best...I'm confused now..

Sorry for the slow reply. I suggest you wait abit before getting a new laptop, a new GPU is always announced every 2 weeks and the older model always gets cheaper. Just research and wait.

serBOOM01
Level 7
What I want is a gaming laptop for the 1500£ budget and there was nothing better than g752vm based on price and most importantly reviews.

Notebooks are not like desktops!! what you have is a lot of very high tech parts crammed into a very small area. Most of these do very well, there a few that have issues. Some can have serious issue. Most people don't find this forum unless they have issues so keep that in mind. If it makes you more comfortable buy a 3 year warranty These can be purchased from Provantage you can purchase these up to 1 year from your purchase date.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Forgoing Walters statements that Im beginning to think is a paid MSI Troll.........

There are not as many problems as some would like others to believe. Everything made, without exception, has some issues regardless of what it is and who made it. Go to MSI or Acer or Clevo boards and you see just as much crying going on there.

IPS bleed and glow is for the most part BS across the board. Some Jack Wagon turned the brightness on a monitor all the way up, put up a black screen in a pitch black room and shot a video of it and the sheep came to graze. People who never said a thing saw said video now all of the sudden they have to worst monitor/display in history. Funny how I have Two high end IPS monitors PG348Q and PG279Q and 3 laptops with IPS panels and not a single one of them has issues. Granted I don't crank up the brightness to max, I use 120 cd/m on a calibrated monitors like I have some sense and while I prefer dimly lit rooms I'm not sitting in black out conditions all day staring at a black screen with the brightness cranked up. If you are IPS isnt whats glowing and you should seek professional help immediately or call the suicide hotline.

Heat, yes they are going to get hot. These are not your mothers netbook. There is a lot of performance packed into a very small area. IMO these machines are more of a desktop replacement than something you want to be packing with you everywhere you go. They are nice to have for Lan parties but thats where the portability ends. Sitting in 30C ambient will make my desktop run hotter than I like too.

Heavy, again not a net book and while they could be made lighter a good bit of the weight is the heat sinks so going lighter would mean even more heat! These machines need to be on a hard flat surface to get good air flow. not on your lap or sitting on a bed etc.

Bloatware is questionable. Gaming center is actually useful. M$ packs more bloatware than ASUS and it takes all of about 5 minutes with Ccleaner to remove what you dont want from both the ASUS and M$ aspect. This is of course all negated if you bought your machine from the likes of Best Buy.

I have a G74SX (about to retire the old girl but still runs just fine) G751JL, G751JY and G752VY and the only issue I have with any of them is the left side USB ports do not like powering outside devices. Want to use a small stick, fine. Plug a 7200 rpm usb powered external drive into it and its going to disconnect. solution, dont use high load usb powered devices in the left side ports. All of my displays are on point, no keyboard issues (these are mostly due to people jacking the settings and ATK package) no sound issues, and no heat issues.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I own G752VM. Altough my ambient temperature in my room is about 23 degrees, my laptop runs much much cooler tbh. Can you send me nbfc profile for G752Vm? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I also own G752VM. Running it for 7 months. Don't game it much, so haven't noticed any temperature issues. Plenty fast as has been noted. Concerned about loss of Asus applications due to Windows 10 Creators Update, so I have continued to hold off installation. I read in this group that some of the other "last two letter" machines (VS, VY, etc) have lost ROG Gaming Center, and other things like the SD drive. The Gaming Center is just so much bloatware, but I like being able to turn on and off the trackpad from there. Not sure where else that control would be, in all of Windows 10. I have not noticed any reports of these issues with the VM series, even though I check here often. I check the Asus download site also for updates to their software, but nothing changes much there. Do you think someone here would post an announcement when these illusive Asus updates are finally posted? Probably not, huh.
N71JQ-A1, G752VM-RB71, GX703HR-XB96