cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL with Samsung EVO 960 not recognized by Magician

ST9752
Level 10
Okay, I know that Magician is not really critical to have. I simply wanted to test my NVMe a bit and in particular see what version of firmware is on it so I could tell if I need to update the firmware.

The drive is recognized by Windows 10 on my G752VL with no problem. Yes, I initialized it with a GUID partition type not MBR. I was able to quick format and the drive appears normally to the system.

Still though after rebooting and power cycling Magician doesn't see it at all.

I dropped into BIOS which also sees the drive (obviously) and it is not shown among the SATA devices as expected.

I'm wondering if having my SATA interface set to RAID in BIOS is causing the trouble. Will the system still boot from the spinning drive if I change the mode to AHCI?

One strange thing happened upon first install. I installed the drive, closed up the machine and restarted it. It started coming up, displayed the ROG logo for a moment and then did a hard shutdown. After that everything was normal. Odd.

I should note, this is a retail - sealed - 960 EVO 500GB from Best Buy.

PS - My apologies if this topic is covered. Every time I tried to use the forum search bar, it disappeared! Anybody else seen that?
11 REPLIES 11

ST9752
Level 10
What am I missing here? I didn't have to use the IRST drivers. I simply switched to AHCI mode in BIOS and used Data Migration. I loaded no drivers at all and everything works smoothly. Certainly seems natively supported.

Julskey
Level 10
The iRST drivers are already installed in the factory installation, so there is no need to load the iRST drivers, but when you do a fresh installation, you first need to load the iRST drivers found in your support folder from the original hard drive before Windows Installation can see the drive.