cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 - This may be the perfect upgrade for my G73

Banshee
Level 8
The G752 looks fabulous. I would get mine with at least 32 GB RAM, but have a question about the SSD.

It's listed as "NVME SSD", which is confusing to me. Does this mean it is soldered to the motherboard PCI bus? Is it an actual SSD that could be removed and upgraded? Is 512 GB the biggest available? I can't seem to find a user manual yet, or else that would probably answer my questions.

My current G73 has 3 hard drives inside, and I need even more space, so any SSD less than 1 TB would be too small; hence my reasoning for wanting to upgrade it.
My Current Addiction: Asus G73SW i7

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
3TB internal, 5 TB external via USB 3.0
^ I use this system as a mobile DAW, 3D graphic studio, and for other stuff.
33 REPLIES 33

The new MSI's all use skylake CPU, if the sli 980 is to much for you, then consider the GT72S 6QF Dragon Edition 29th Anniversary Edition which is a single 980 and smaller, thinner and better form factor. Make sure you are looking at the 29th anniversary ones, they are coming out in a few weeks and spec wise, blow anything ASUS out of the water. I hate to say it, because I'm currently typing from my G55, but specs don't lie.

Ozeor wrote:
The new MSI's all use skylake CPU, if the sli 980 is to much for you, then consider the GT72S 6QF Dragon Edition 29th Anniversary Edition which is a single 980 and smaller, thinner and better form factor. Make sure you are looking at the 29th anniversary ones, they are coming out in a few weeks and spec wise, blow anything ASUS out of the water. I hate to say it, because I'm currently typing from my G55, but specs don't lie.

Actually, specs alone are not the reason to buy (or to avoid) any particular model. I am still a little bit concerned about MSI's failure rate in the GT models.

And really, just let me disable SLI, reduce the failure rate, and hey we'll talk! I also like the concept of the GT's up-front keyboard with more regular Cherry keys.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Well yes Sager and Alienware have had better stuff all along. The issue is with all that heat producing hardware how they are getting rid of it doesn't seem very well dealt with so far anyway. We have always had choices yet here we are using Asus G notebooks. The 752 lines do seem to be priced excessively high, but lets see what happen with them prices after the actual release
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Banshee wrote:
The G752 looks fabulous. I would get mine with at least 32 GB RAM, but have a question about the SSD.

It's listed as "NVME SSD", which is confusing to me. Does this mean it is soldered to the motherboard PCI bus? Is it an actual SSD that could be removed and upgraded? Is 512 GB the biggest available? I can't seem to find a user manual yet, or else that would probably answer my questions.

My current G73 has 3 hard drives inside, and I need even more space, so any SSD less than 1 TB would be too small; hence my reasoning for wanting to upgrade it.

Hi Banshee,
Good choice for the Upgrade.
NVMe (
Non-Volatile Memory Express) is new gen tech, NVMe controllers utilizes the PCIe interface.
Here's a couple of sites about this new gen tech>>>> wikipedia.org/NVM_Express >>>
nvmexpress.org

Good luck, and good gaming!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

toronto699
Level 13

Edweird
Level 10
It's obviously a smaller company and therefore also probably has better customer support .. dunno about any forums. But if you're going for such a specific, custom product ... you should probably know what you're doing. ASUS is much more mainstream and it's easier to believe there are dedicated forums for it. If they have good customer support, it should be easy to figure issues out and a forum isn't needed as much (though it's so damn easy to set some up that there's no reason not have them...). When you have a company as big as ASUS you can flock the sheep to the forums so they can bleat at each other, instead of having to figure customer support out and having a confused flock ... the current ill situation with ASUS's support is pretty much a natural development and their ever increasing sales don't seem to be reflecting things as you might expect them to.

Banshee
Level 8
I have decided to look into the Eurocom X9 some more. I was completely unaware of Eurocom as a brand, and I am very impressed with this and the MSI because they seem to be somewhat more user-upgradable than even the Asus G752. I'm not buying right away so I have lots of time to research and learn before making a decision.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

CosmicPoweR
Level 7
Just curious how's the Nahimic sound gonna do better than Maxx Waves. I saw quite alot of complaint in MSI forum about this.

Good point. My G73 is quite passable for the occasional Civilization: Beyond Earth game or watching Phil Collins' concert footage. But yeah, for any actual audio "work", I'll use a USB audio interface I have here, only because it has actual ASIO drivers and therefore better latency than the laptop.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Banshee
Level 8
The sound is a minor factor for me. I don't plan to game often, and when I'm doing music stuff, I'll have an external audio/midi interface plugged into the laptop.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro