cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 reinstall safe yet?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
So.. I got a few issues on the laptop. I just want to reinstall Win10 and start again..

Anyhow, as we all know, the SSD nVME has big issues since it isn't native when trying to reinstall an OS... sometimes the drive doesn't show up, sometimes the drive shows itself as 1gb available.. sometimes the drive says it's 65536gb large..

Has there been any updates or tools made to make this process safe and able to be performed without issue..?

If wiping and installing fresh from USB is still dangerous.. then does anyone have any experience using the "Reset Windows" feature? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

If using "Reset Windows 10" feature works well, then I think I'll just do that instead.

Thanks. Just really don't want to be stuck in another rut with this stupid NVME rubbish..
30 REPLIES 30

JustinThyme
Level 13
There are a few ways to look at this. If you still have the factory image this is your best bet, just reset PC and you are back to the factory state. To remove anything you dont want Ccleaner shows items that the windows uninstall does not and does a much better job at it.
If you choose to reinstall completely and wipe your drive then make sure you save the eSupport folder first. It has all the drivers and software. For most of it updated drivers can be downloaed but there are a few that cannot, most important one is sound studio that wihout it the sound on the G752 is horrendous. I strongly discourage this method though unless....

Do factory reset
by new drive
Clone OEM drive to new drive
Put OEM drive away for safe keeping

Then you can do whatever you wish as you have an insurance policy of being able to recover to a factory state without having to send the machine off to ASUS and pay to have the drive reimaged.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
There are a few ways to look at this. If you still have the factory image this is your best bet, just reset PC and you are back to the factory state. To remove anything you dont want Ccleaner shows items that the windows uninstall does not and does a much better job at it.
If you choose to reinstall completely and wipe your drive then make sure you save the eSupport folder first. It has all the drivers and software. For most of it updated drivers can be downloaed but there are a few that cannot, most important one is sound studio that wihout it the sound on the G752 is horrendous. I strongly discourage this method though unless....

Do factory reset
by new drive
Clone OEM drive to new drive
Put OEM drive away for safe keeping

Then you can do whatever you wish as you have an insurance policy of being able to recover to a factory state without having to send the machine off to ASUS and pay to have the drive reimaged.

I wanted to do that but when I bought another drive, it wouldn't show up. I don't know if it was because the controller died on the motherboard for some reason, or something else. I have no clue. It was showing the symptoms above.

I guess yeah it'd be best if I buy a whole new Drive and build on that.. and if all goes sour, well at least I can just go back and cope.

What I would love to know, is if it's possible to interface with an M2 NVME (PCIE) stick with a USB attachment. That way I can actually enter the device without needing to rely on the bad support and can properly wipe it.

I don't know, perhaps it was because my last G752 turned on during transit and cooked itself in the box.. and that's what broke the NVME controller. It was booting to BIOS the moment I pulled it out.. so perhaps it's actually safe.. I just don't know. All the other reports on the difficulty still make me think it can permanently be screwed... but I REALLY need to wipe and start clean..

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sure I think all the G752 latest BIOS now support SATA set to AHCI, Start your install media in UEFI mode. When the install starts hit the F10 + Shift that will bring up CMD prompt use diskpart to Clean and convert to GPT. Finish your install, update the windows native drivers to good drivers nothing to it.
Remove your 1TB drive so that you only have the SSD in that your installing to no chance or errors
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm
Level 14
Your problems is your notebook comes from Asus with the BIOS SATA setting to RAID, you need to install the RAID Driver to see the drive in windows install.
As I mention earlier the latest BIOS's allow you to change the SATA setting to AHCI, So a RAW new SSD will show up to install too. A RAID disk would need to be Cleaned and converted to GPT then the windows install will see the SSD.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Clintlgm wrote:
Your problems is your notebook comes from Asus with the BIOS SATA setting to RAID, you need to install the RAID Driver to see the drive in windows install.
As I mention earlier the latest BIOS's allow you to change the SATA setting to AHCI, So a RAW new SSD will show up to install too. A RAID disk would need to be Cleaned and converted to GPT then the windows install will see the SSD.

Unless I SOMEHOW did this wrong, it didn't work..

Just curious. If the NVME was turned to MBR, what would happen?

Darnassus wrote:
Unless I SOMEHOW did this wrong, it didn't work..

Just curious. If the NVME was turned to MBR, what would happen?

you've got a Ferrari ( NVME ) and you want to drive it in the city's traffic (MBR) ?
no sense there...
GUID is the latest tech of "partitioning structure" for drives and was created with ssd in mind.
MBR was developed in the stone age of rotational disks...

also if you want to downgrade and work with mbr, you'll have to ENABLE "CSM" option in the bios ( i.e LEGACY BIOS enabled) since windows 7,8,10 can't boot MBR while booting using UEFI.

more info about that in my windows re-installation guide ( see my sig ).

what I guess you should strive for is to disable RAID on NMVE, then set it as AHCI.
then, when you boot windows installation it should detect it as NVME since win10 got built-in NVME drivers.
there are few guides about it and specific for G752 around here... SEARCH IT.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Gps3dx wrote:
you've got a Ferrari ( NVME ) and you want to drive it in the city's traffic (MBR) ?
no sense there...
GUID is the latest tech of "partitioning structure" for drives and was created with ssd in mind.
MBR was developed in the stone age of rotational disks...

also if you want to downgrade and work with mbr, you'll have to ENABLE "CSM" option in the bios ( i.e LEGACY BIOS enabled) since windows 7,8,10 can't boot MBR while booting using UEFI.

more info about that in my windows re-installation guide ( see my sig ).

what I guess you should strive for is to disable RAID on NMVE, then set it as AHCI.
then, when you boot windows installation it should detect it as NVME since win10 got built-in NVME drivers.
there are few guides about it and specific for G752 around here... SEARCH IT.

I know all this, but I mean what would happen? Would it screw up the device?

Darnassus wrote:
I know all this, but I mean what would happen? Would it screw up the device?

Screw it up as in not boot, most likely. Cause physical damage, I dont think it could. Just change the way its read and written to.

SATA drives run in legacy modes, I dont think it would do anything but run at a slower rate like they do.

I have ran into a similar scenario with my G752 once. I had it in my laptop bag and had just simply closed the lid. Put it in the cloth sleeve it
came in, put it in the bag and covered the vents without realizing it was still on. Put it in my car and went to my sons football game. Came out to the car and heard the fans running. Pulled it out and it was HOT AF. Thought for sure I cooked something or jacked up the display being so hot, luckily all was well, once it cooled.

I used the factory reload when I gave it to my son and it was completely painless. Good luck on the reload, definitely not a fun time for sure.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Darnassus
Status Under Review
So far Wireless randomly drops out for 1 min, and my Volume keeps resetting to 54, no idea why. I try to turn up volume, or turn it back down.. resets it to 54 like 5 sec later..